Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Page:
Page 5 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Dec 20, 2012 06:47 PM
I'm just baking a Fruit Pizza for my boss at the moment as a present, thank you to Sumayah for the idea, I'd never heard of them until I saw your post here in this thread.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:10 PM
Hooray! I need to make another one. It's delish. And it keep well overnight too. We put the left over in large ziplock bags and it wasn't soggy or gross the next day.
re: Cookie Swap
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:31 PM
I have enough ingredients in the fridge to make one for my kids (and me) tomorrow as well :)
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Fri Dec 21, 2012 04:24 AM
These are the cookies I have been making this week. Mom thought we wouldn't have enough cookies for Christmas? Let's see, I made 82 today, 60 some yesterday, & I don't remember how many others. I think we will have more than enough for the holidays. Oh yeah, all these recipes are keepers. We will be making them again for sure.

Chocolate Nutella Cookies

1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature (I didn't use unsalted and mom loved them!)
3/4 cups of brown sugar
3/4 cups of white sugar
1 cup of Nutella (Hazelnut spread)
1/2 tsp. of vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups, plus 2 TBSP. of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup of chocolate chips (we used mini chips)
1/2 cup of chopped hazelnuts (I couldn't find just them so I picked some out of a can of mixed nuts & when I didn't have enough, I used Brazil nuts I think. No one knew that they were supposed to be all hazelnuts.)

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Cream butter in an electric mixer for 3 min. until light and fluffy. Add the sugars and Nutella and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.

2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each. Add the vanilla and mix for 10 seconds.

3. Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda (do not skip this step as sifting eliminates clumps of cocoa). Mix into the butter mixture on low speed until fully incorporated, scraping down the bottom and sides at least once to ensure even mixing. Fold in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts and refrigerate the dough for 10 min.

4. Spoon TBSP.-sized (I made them a little smaller) drops of dough onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 min. allow to cool on the sheets for a min. or 2 (I timed it for 2) before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes 6 dozen (or more if your me! LOL)
On Fri Dec 21, 2012 04:38 AM
Tangerine Butter Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 tsp. orange peel
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. OJ
3/4 cup veg. oil
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add the 1 1/2 cups sugar & salt. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, orange peel, vanilla, & OJ until combines. Gradually beat in oil until smooth. Beat in as much flour as you can w/mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. If necessary, cover & chill for 30 - 60 min. or until dough is easy to handle. (I didn't need to do this.)
Place the 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1" balls; roll balls in sugar to coat. Place balls 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press an X in each ball of dough w/toothpick.
Bake for 9-11 min. (I did 12 min) or until tops are lightly browned (mine never browned). While warm, lightly press again to make an X (You could still see the X so I didn't do it again.)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Dec 21, 2012 05:17 AM
^This reminds me of cookies I used to make. The recipe came from an old Betty Crocker cookbook and it was the same one my mother had in her BC Cookbook from the 1950's. This recipe is for three different kinds, but I think I'm going to make them in orange, only, and pair them with Cranberry Chocolate Chip drop cookies .

Image hotlink - 'http://therecipehoarder.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/fruit-slice-cookies-1.jpg'

Citrus Slice Cookies

1 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
3 c flour
1 t salt
1 t grated lemon peel
1 t grated lime peel
1 t grated orange peel
1 t lemon juice
1 t lime juice
1 t orange juice
Yellow, green, and orange food coloring
(paste will give you a brighter color)
Yellow, green, and orange colored sugars
(you can color it yourself, or purchase pre-colored sugars in the baking section of your grocery or craft store)

What You Do

In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Add the flour and salt. Mix to combine.

Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Wrap one portion in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. To another portion, add the lemon peel, lemon juice, and yellow food coloring. Work the dough in your hands until the dough is evenly yellow and the juice and peel are incorporated. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Repeat this process with the two remaining portions, adding the orange juice, peel, and coloring to one, and the lime juice and peel and green coloring to the other.

Chill the four portions for 1 hour.

Shape the colored dough into rolls, 2 inches in diameter and 4 inches long.

Divide the plain dough into 3 equal parts. With a rolling pin, roll each piece into 6 x 4 inch rectangles.

Wrap the plain dough rectangles around the colored dough rolls. Push the doughs together lightly to help them adhere to each other.

Roll the dough logs in the corresponding colored sugar. Wrap the three logs in plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours.

Heat the oven to 400°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Slice the dough into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Cut each round in half to create the fruit slice shape. Place on the cookie sheet about an inch apart. Bake 6-8 minutes or until just set. Immediately move the cookies to a rack to cool.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat Dec 22, 2012 04:12 AM
I like the Citrus Cookies. They look like those candies my mom used to like by Sunkist. I'll have to read the recipe more because I am not figuring out some of it. I will make sure I read it better. Thanks for that send.

My mom said the Tangerine Butter cookies and getting a little hard. Maybe 12 min was not the right time, I should have baked them less. They are still good though.

Triple Chocolate-Covered Peanut Clusters
Makes about 60 clusters

1 (16 oz.) jar dry-roasted peanuts
1 (16 oz.) jar unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
18 (2-oz.) chocolate bark coating squares cutting in half (I couldn't find this so I used a semi-sweet bar that I melted.)
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 (4 oz.) pkg. German Chocolate baking squares, broken into pieces
1 (9.75) can salted whole cashews
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Combine chocolate in saucepan & melt on low heat. Stir in nuts. Add cashews & vanilla, stirring well to coat cashews. Drop nut mixture by heaping TBSP. onto wax paper. Let stand until firm.
On Sat Dec 22, 2012 04:17 AM
Oreo Balls

1 pkg. oreos
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 pkg. almond bark or chocolate (I used chocolate chips melted.)
Twist oreos apart. Scrape cream from cookies & put in a large bowl. Add cream cheese & cream together. Crush cookies in zip lock bag. Add to creamed mixture & stir. Roll into 1" balls & chill. Melt bark & dip cookies. Place on waxed paper cookie sheets.
Makes 3-4 doz. (I think I made more than it says.)
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 2)
On Tue Dec 25, 2012 01:10 AM
No recipe.... just a fun picture.
Image hotlink - 'http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/262787_257304761064381_1380999471_n.jpg'

Someone posted this on fb and I knew it belonged here.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Dec 25, 2012 01:44 AM
I love that photo! Those look so cute but they have no faces! LOL Whoever did these did a great job.
On Mon Dec 24, 2012 07:02 PM
Edited by SoloJazzDancer (98263) on 2012-12-24 19:03:52 Needed to add something else.
Peanut Butter Cup Brownies

1 box fudge brownie mix, prepared using :
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 cups creamy peanut butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2-12 oz. pkgs. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
4 TBSP. vegetable shortening

OPTIONAL: 1 cup candy pieces such as peanut brittle or red & green sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine peanut butter and butter with a hand mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar and continue mixing until well incorporated. Filling should be thick and resemble cookie dough. Cover & put in the fridge until ready to use.
Combine ingredients for brownie mix following above directions. Fill muffin cups evenly with 1 TBSP. of batter each. Bake 8-10 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Let brownies cool completely, and then gently remove from muffin tin.
For topping, melt shortening in a saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth. Let mixture cool for 5 min.
To assemble, scoop 1 TBSP. of peanut butter mixture into palm, roll into a ball, then flatten. Set one disc on top of each brownie, them use palm to gently press flat. Spoon 1 TBS. of chocolate evenly over peanut butter mixture and allow to drip down the sides.
If desired, immediately top unset chocolate with candy pieces for a festive garnish. Let brownies sit for 30 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate for 10 minutes to set chocolate.

servings: 45 pieces
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Dec 26, 2012 03:31 AM
I am ashamed to admit I made no cookies this season. I had good intentions, but the best I could manage was to buy a box of biscotti. Sigh....

kk~
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 01:31 PM
My friend posted a recipe on Facebook for breakfast cookies, and they looked and sounded amazing, so I decided to give it a try!

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal, quick or old fashioned
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup raisins, (or any dried/non-dried fruit)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, (any kind you prefer, you don't need them)
1 tsp vanilla extract (or almond)
1 tsp cinnamon (or more, to taste)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat heat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix vanilla extract & cinnamon into the applesauce.
Blend applesauce mixture with all other ingredients & let sit for 10 minutes
Drop cookie dough, by spoonfuls, onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet & flatten cookies into rounds.
Bake approx. 30-35 minutes, or until golden & done.
Remove from oven & let rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then move to cooling rack.
Store in a covered container when completely cool.

* I substituted pumpkin puree for banana since I didn't have any bananas (read online that it can be used as a substitute), and they still turned out well.

Here are mine:

Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/484657_10151457642787018_289084013_n.jpg'
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:42 PM
My son had some serious surgery on his mouth a few weeks back and is just about ready to eat food that isn't pureed. I dug around and found this old recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook circa 1973, which are soft, easy, and tasty.

I drizzled some melted buttercream icing over them while they were still warm. They are just right for someone who can't chew much.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix together:

1 box cake mix
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 egg
1/2 stick of butter (4 tbs)
1 tsp vanilla

Drop onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Cookies will be soft.

The original recipe doesn't call for the icing, but I had some from a birthday cake and they make them even better.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 05:18 AM
Image hotlink - 'http://www.yummly.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Hamburger-Cookies-from-The-Capitol-Baker.jpg'

Just a little something for April Fools

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat May 11, 2013 12:17 PM
A friend posted this on fb and I have to post it here. Special thanks to Nancy. :]
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248077_10151620797407247_675862555_n.jpg'

Lemony Lemon Brownies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup flour
2 eggs, large
2 tbsps lemon zest
2 tbsps lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

For the tart lemon glaze:
4 tbsps lemon juice
8 tsps lemon zest
1 cup icing sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
3. Zest and juice two lemons and set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the flour, sugar, salt, and softened butter until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined.
6. Pour it into the flour mixture and beat for 2 mins at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
7. Pour into baking dish and bake for 23-25 mins, should turn golden around the edges.
8. Allow to cool completely before glazing. Do not overbake, or the bars will dry.
9. Filter the powdered sugar and whisk with lemon zest and juice.
10. Spread the glaze over the brownies with a rubber spatula and let glaze set.
11. Cut into bars and serve.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat May 11, 2013 02:03 PM
I was just thinking about lemon bars. I should make some of these lemon brownies for the family tonight, since everyone is home.

kk~
On Thu May 30, 2013 02:15 AM
Hmm, Christine, maybe you might know a good Bourbon ball recipe? ;)
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 PM
^^My grandmother always made bourbon balls using crushed up vanilla wafers and pecans... are those the bourbon balls you're thinking of? She used like a cup of chopped and toasted pecans, and twice as much crushed vanilla wafers. Powdered sugar - like maybe half a cup? A little bit of cocoa powder, and then she'd mix it all together with corn syrup and bourbon (More bourbon than corn syrup - like, significantly more bourbon.) so that it all clumped and held together and coated them in melted chocolate.

I don't know if that helps, but they're the only bourbon balls I know.
On Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:32 AM
^ That sounds delightful! I'm making a care package to send to Cali and I want something that will travel well. Although I'm seriously considering making Guinness/Bailey's cake balls. But I do love me some good whiskey. Or maybe I should make both. Although K has a good rum ball recipe... Actually, that sounds like an amazing sweet and boozy trio right there. Done. Mmmm, sweet and boozy.
On Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:36 AM
Daughter made Nieman Marcus cookies the day before yesterday. They sure are good! :)

kk~
On Thu Jun 27, 2013 05:46 PM
Sumayah wrote:

Hmm, Christine, maybe you might know a good Bourbon ball recipe? ;)

I'm so sorry this got by me. Looking at the date, I can sort of figure out why. Moving on....

Yes, as it happens, I do have a bit of experience with bourbon balls. I was just thinking of messing with the recipe a bit for something more seasonal (like rum...) but every time I do, I regret not going with old reliable Jack Daniels Balls.

I too start with a box of Vanilla Wafers, and crush them into crumbs, or something more like "crumbs and chards". I use a rolling pin and a sturdy bag, but a food processor or a blender works too.

The recipe I use calls for 4 cups of crushed cookies, but I often use the whole box and kind of adjust the rest. I overshot the JD this past January and although they eventually mellowed into a fine boozy confection, for a while they were scary looking. To start...I'd recommend going with the original recipe and playing with it as you see fit.

4 Cups crushed vanilla wafers
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup Jack Daniels (plus one extra bottle for "sippin'")
1/4 cup corn syrup (recipe calls for light, I've used either and in a pinch, use Hershey's chocolate syrup and lighten up on the cocoa)

I mix all the ingredients together and kind of let them "soak" for about an hour. Then, form them into balls, approximately 1". Roll them in 10x sugar, and store them in an airtight container or tin. In a day or two, check them out and roll them in some more sugar.

Depending on how much Jack you drink before measuring the ingredients, they may be a little bit "wet". I tend to over pour when acting as bartender. The longer they mellow, the more tender the nuts and the nicer the consistency.

Happy rolling...

Keep On Dancing*
On Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:22 PM
Image hotlink - 'http://melssweetlife.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/halloweenbars3.jpg?w=625'

Halloween Candy Bar Cookies

Butter a 9x13 baking pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Unwrap and chop assorted Halloween candy until you have approximately 2 cups. Set aside.

Cream together:

1 cup of butter
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar

Add:

2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda

When blended, add 1 tsp. vanilla

Stir in 2 cups (+/-) of chopped Halloween candy

Spread batter (dough) in bottom of 9x13 pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool. Cut into bars.

Keep On Dancing*
On Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 PM
I want to make these! They sound really different! Thanks for the great send!
On Sat Dec 14, 2013 09:22 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-12-14 21:33:42 fixed stuff
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-12-14 21:36:55 fixed markup
Aren't these cute?
Marshmallows on sugar cookies
Image hotlink - 'http://s2.justapinchassets.com/images/recipe/1/5/9/1/8/3/medium.1.jpg'
S'mores !
Image hotlink - 'http://www.daytripfinder.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Melting-Snowmen-Cookies.jpg'
These are gingerbread boy cookie cutters!
Image hotlink - 'http://noshingwiththenolands.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Reindeer-Cookies-3-Small.jpg'
And gingerbread girls
Image hotlink - 'http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Reindeer-Cookies-Cookies-with-Character-7.jpg'
and chocolate dipped Oreos
Image hotlink - 'http://www.ohnuts.com/wpnutblog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/oreo-reindeer-pops-1.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/26/52/ab/2652ab6eef39ddda78d974181c4af26b.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://www.makemecake.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/BlueCocoaCoffeeMugCookies.jpg'

Keep On Dancing*
Page:
Page 5 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch