Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Advanced & Professional Ballet
Good schools to train at full time
By pasdechat101 Comments: 187, member since Sun Jan 30, 2011
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 08:07 AM

Does anyone know of schools that offer academics, housing, and an excellent dance program? I want to know so that I can apply/audition for programs in January. Thanks, pasdechat

11 Replies to Good schools to train at full time

re: Good schools to train at full time
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 PM
You mean college?

One option is to go to college and associate with a nearby dance organization. If you can go to a college in Boston, Jose Mateo Ballet Theatre is ready to train you. One MIT kid I knew even did the Nutcracker (while she was still an MIT student). Someone else I know danced for the company while an undergraduate at BU. Stuff like this happens...
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 06:11 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear: High school programmes that have housing, school, and good dance education. I'm really aspiring to be a professional so I need schools that can cater to that aspect of dance.
pasdechat
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 06:59 PM
If there is an institution that offers academics, ballet training, and housing than you can bet that it is a reputable school that will give you a great dance education. No one is going to send their child away full-time to go to a so-so training facility.

Can you be specific about what country you are looking for programs in and how old you are?
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 07:15 PM
(should I call you ma'am? I dont know!) ms. Coccinella, I am not comfortable about telling my age on the big, scary internet :) I live in the US. Lets just say I am old enough that my parents would accept me going away for high school.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 07:45 PM
Haha, no need to call me ma'am, I am only in my early 20's. Don't age me unneccesarily! :)

I'm in Canada so I know more about school here. I would start with a simple Google searches of school closest to you and then work your way outwards farther away. Gather info as you go about at what age they accept student, when the audition tours are, if they provide scholarships/financial aid, etc. Then you have a good place to start for when you want to present option to you parents. Another thing to do would be to talk to your ballet teacher about any recommendations she might have for you.
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 06:44 AM
Thank you! Its really helpful to me! do you know what full time schools are looking for in auditions?
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:46 AM
At the high school level, they will be looking for a dancer with very established and clean technique. They'll be wanting to find a dancer that doesn't have too much "style" in their technique, meaning that they don't want to have to spend a year just getting a dancer to break some of the habits they have previously learned. They will be looking for a good overall facility for ballet, meaning that you are an appropriate weight for your frame, have good feet and turnout, somewhat flexible joints. At your age you should have a good understanding of musicality and expression when you are dancing. Ability to pick up exercises quickly, ability to apply corrections...

I think most full time school have you come to their summer programs as an audition for the full time program (after an audition to get into the summer program, that is.).
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 09:08 AM
I was involved in this questions recently. The student in question found what looked like a really nice program in British Columbia. Would you have visa/money/work issues studying in Canada?

There are plenty of such programs in the USA too. What is your budget? Living away from home in high school is expensive --- a lot more expensive than the actual dance training.
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 09:21 AM
I agree with Coccinella go to a summer program first and find out more about the establishment and the way they teach, it'll make it much easier to make up your mind and find the right school for you.
By dancetutuhard Comments: 161, member since Tue Jun 09, 2009
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 01:29 PM
I attend North Carolina School of the Arts, and for me it has worked out perfectly with great dancing, academics, and housing. When I auditioned to enter ninth grade, they accepted me for my potential. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:46 PM
Living in the US you are lucky there are many fulltime schools with academics and good training!

Are you looking one close to where you live or are you happy to move anywhere in US?

In any case, I reccomend you to attend the summer intensive of the fulltime place you are looking to go to and see if the training and facilities are a good match for you.

ReplySendWatch