Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Pilates/yoga for an injured irish dancer?
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:07 AM

At a competition last week I injured my foot, and the doc thinks it may be a stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal. Which means no dance and a boot for at least two weeks. Thing is, I was training for the Oireachtas (regional championships, for you none IDers) and I really want to stay in shape while I'm off on break. Some people on the Irish board suggested trying pilates or yoga. Do you guys know of any good pilates exercises or yoga moves I can try while I'm in this boot? I have never done yoga, and I tried pilates at camp, but I don't remember most of it.

Thanks so much :)

9 Replies to Pilates/yoga for an injured irish dancer?

re: Pilates/yoga for an injured irish dancer?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:38 AM
If you're injured you need to go to an instructor and take classes, there are going to be things they need to look out for as you exercise to make sure you keep your body straight or you'll end up with more injuries.
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 02:07 PM
Unfortunatly there are no nearby places where I can take classes :P
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Fri Sep 30, 2011 09:16 AM
The best DVD's I've come across are by Gaiam and my favorite instructor is Ana Caban who teaches Pilates. She was a former dancer and used Pilates as a way to recover from injury, herself.

I have this one: www.gaiam.com . . .

And this one:www.gaiam.com . . .

If you have never ever done Pilates, go with the first DVD. I think there is one longer workout that briefly explains things and puts the names of the movements on the screen, and then there is a shorter workout to do beyond that. The intermediate one is much, much more challenging.
On Fri Sep 30, 2011 09:49 AM
store.stottpilates.com . . .

This is another very good DVD, I wouldn't even try the inter work if you have an injury, most of it you won't be able to manage with the boot on.

Just out of interest, if there were no TC's in your area would you try to teach yourself ID? Would you try to learn it from a DVD?
On Fri Sep 30, 2011 02:46 PM
hummingbird wrote:

store.stottpilates.com . . .

This is another very good DVD, I wouldn't even try the inter work if you have an injury, most of it you won't be able to manage with the boot on.

Just out of interest, if there were no TC's in your area would you try to teach yourself ID? Would you try to learn it from a DVD?

First, thanks for all the suggestions, I will be sure to check them out :)

And if the wasn't an ID school in the area, I probably would still be doing ballet or jazz or something. I had never heard of ID until I saw the local school preform when I was 7.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Sep 30, 2011 03:29 PM
Your dance school is just a couple of towns away from me. I know there is a YMCA in the same town as your dance school. The Y in my town has Pilates and yoga classes. Perhaps the one near your dance school does too. Even if your family doesn't belong to the Y, perhaps your parents would get you a temporary membership. I believe the Ys offer 3-month trials at reasonable cost. Just a thought.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 01:52 PM
I've found that a lot of dance studios have pilates/yoga for adults. Hummingbird is trying to point out that if you wouldn't learn dance from a DVD, you shouldn't learn yoga or pilates from a DVD. I get why people say to be cautious learning from a DVD, but a lot of the stretches and exercises in my basic yoga/pilates are similar to things done in dance classes or stretch classes at a studio. Most of the crazy upside down and super bendy poses aren't on DVDs because they don't want people at home trying things too advanced for them. I do all my workouts from DVDs and I don't feel unsafe, but I have been working out for a long time and I know what NOT to try at home.

If you are looking for something short term, check your library. A lot of times they have DVDs there so you can try them before you buy them or just borrow them while you are out. Hulu also has some free yoga on there too if I remember correctly. I normally get Rodney Yee for yoga and then I have an Ana Caban and Windsor Pilates.
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 03:51 PM
I am a Pilates instructor.

I have to spend a lot of my time putting right what people have 'learnt' from DVD's. It's just the same as trying to learn dance from a video and even more so if you're injured. Without an instructor there you don't know if you really are getting everything right and a lot of Pilates principals really aren't quite the same as dance principles when you get into the nitty gritty of it all.
By fancyfeet711 Comments: 94, member since Mon Apr 28, 2008
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 04:12 PM
When is your Oireachtas? I'll be honest I had a stress fracture to my metatarsal last year and it took a good 3-4 months before I could even fully go up on my toes, and it still hurts on bad days now. So I know how much Oireachtas matters (I'm trying soo hard to make it to Nationals this year from it) and I think pilates/yoga is probably a great idea but don't be surprised if you find your foot and dancing not up to par by the time Oireachtas comes around :S

ReplySendWatch