Forum: Advice / Beauty - Makeovers

Beauty - Makeovers
Hair dye rookie wants opinions. (a bit picture heavy)
By reel_in_firstmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1089, member since Fri Jul 08, 2005
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 08:39 PM

My hair is naturally that super dark brown one shade above black and is also naturally curly.

I have only ever dyed my hair once before; it was becoming really sun-bleached and I was getting a lot of random light brown/golden streaks, so I dyed it back to natural. That was a Garnier Nutrisse home color a few weeks ago. However, my hair is already fading and I can see those sunny streaks again.

Anyway, lately I've been itching for a big change. I kind of like the look of those light streaks and I think I want to dye my entire head lighter. DDN what do you think? Would I look ok? I'm a complete dying noob ;) How light could (should?) I go? Can I pull off a reddish/auburn or just stick to brown? What to do about the eyebrows? They're so dark in all the pictures that it's kind of throwing me off.

I've included some ultra-cheesy Face in a Hole pictures to help visualize :P The first 3 pics are me naturally. And good grief I just realized I have no normal pictures. *sigh*

6 Replies to Hair dye rookie wants opinions. (a bit picture heavy)

re: Hair dye rookie wants opinions. (a bit picture heavy)
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:15 PM
I could be wrong, but I was noticing you have a nice natural tanned skin tone in most pics, so I think you probably want to stay on the medium to darker brown range. I do think the lighter brown on the last "face in hole" looks nice, but I'm not sure you could go much lighter than that. I'm having a hard time picturing auburn on you. If you want to try a reddish color, I think trying a redder toned brown instead of auburn first would be wise because doing "drastic" changes normally isn't recommended, especially for new hair dyers and people that do it at home. I think that's how a lot of the "oops" posts happen and often times it costs a lot to correct.

Some of the hair dye manufacturers have tests based on skin tone, current color, etc to help you pick the colors you could pull off better than others. It might be worth looking into to see what they say and to use as a starting point. For eyebrows, I know people that bleach them but normally not more than a shade or two. I think a lot of times its shape that needs to be changed not color. Sometimes a slight change in shape can make a big difference. Apparently there is a science to picking eyebrow shapes for face type, I'm just learning of this now. It might be something to look into before bleaching and worrying about their color. I have dark brown eyebrows and light blonde hair and I've never feel weird about the contrast or like my brows and hair need to match.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:26 PM

i would avoid reds as, in my opinion, red tones tend to look better on more fair skin. But thats just my personal opinion.
that said, i think a soft caramel brown would be gorgeous! maybe something like this? Maybe a smidge darker, but i think a nice warm, yet lighter brown would look great!
By reel_in_firstmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1089, member since Fri Jul 08, 2005
On Mon Oct 03, 2011 04:00 PM
These pictures are more like the "reds" I was thinking about. @xBallet_babeX, you're right, I am quite tan. Actually much more so than in those pictures at the moment. Also to clarify, I'm willing to get this done professionally. I have no confidence in my ability to re-create any of these looks at home :P
@saoirse3473, that's a great pic! I'm too scared to go THAT light, but that is right along the lines of the "sunny" warm look I want.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 01:48 AM
now having seen the reds you want, i honestly, really don't think they would suit. You're so tan and warm toned, and while those reds are super fun and pretty, have you ever seen a tanned red-head? Someone feel free to prove me wrong, but reds tend to sit well of fair skin, and since your pretty tan (tanner than the photos from what i just read), i think those reds would look kind of odd on you. Sorry if that sounds rude or anything, i really just want to be honest since its something as important as your hair we're talking about here :)
the above photos are just some examples of various shades of red... most of them are on pretty fair skinned girls.

Perhaps you could do a dark brown with a slight red tone in it? or, you could do a copper caramel maybe...

i think your best bet, since you're willing to have this professionally done, is to go to your salon/dresser, and see a color swatch book, and discuss with your dresser. He/She would give you the best a dive in color matches, etc. Maybe google around, find some pics you like, print them out and take them with you so He/She could get a good idea of what it is you want, and can help out since they'll be handling it in person.
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 02:02 AM
Don't worry, it's not rude. I did ask for opinions after all. If it's going to look stupid, I'd rather know :P

Hmm well I will give this a lot more thought, and hopefully consult with a professional next week. Yay! For now I'll keep brainstorming.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 04:26 AM
It could be possible do your hair your exact colour but with dark auburn undertones to spice it up. This is what my hair dresser did with mine. If I am inside under normal house lights, my hair looked nearly black. If i went out in direct sun light though, there was a hint of red to it. I made my hair darker on you then it is on me though (and yes I know, I should win every award for my amazing photoshop skills :P)

Rihanna has pretty tanned skin and she pulls off red in my opinion.

ReplySendWatch