Forum: Competitions

Well endowed dancer....what to do?
By ktmikelle
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 02:56 PM

One of my senior competition dancers has suddenly blossemed into a DD cup size. We have always used the nude bra/briefs under costumes for competition. However, these bras don't give much support. She was a C cup last year and we had issues with too much cleavage and I had to put mesh inserts into the top of some of her costumes. It was also a stretch to make the nude bra work last year as far as size and support...now she's 2 sizes bigger! She is a tall thin girl, except for her chest! Has anyone had a similar issue? I've thought about having her wear a real bra underneath, but I don't want straps showing unless the dancers all match and they look like part of the costume. I don't want all the costumes to be turtleneck leos either! Please help!!!!

22 Replies to Well endowed dancer....what to do?

re: Well endowed dancer....what to do?
By kaylahpearlPremium member
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 03:59 PM
I have a student with the same problem. I do try to pick out costumes with neck lines not too low. Last year she was able to wear a sports bra under her hip hop costume. I tell all my girls that if they don't feel supported to wear two nude bras. I always wear two when teaching and I am now pregnant. (maybe I'll start wearing 3 hehe) Try having her wear two nude bras! :) Hope this helps!
re: Well endowed dancer....what to do? (karma: 2)
By RosePremium member
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 04:07 PM
A DD cup NEEDS a bra. A good, decent bra. Maybe you don't like straps showing, but you definitely don't want hopping and bouncing boobs!
A/It hurts; B/Everybody will only look at them, some people will start laughing; C/The girl will feel embarressed; D/The complaints you get afterwards;

Depending on the costume you can sew the bra straps under the costume straps. A nude or tank top over the bra can cover the cleavage and the straps.

If you have to choose between showing you tried to cover the bra, or no bra, choose for show the cover.

If you really really really want everybody to look the same, you have to select by (breast) size too. That's why you won't find ballerinas with a DD cup or more. Even C-cups are rare amongst balletdancers.
By pinktights27
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 04:52 PM
Perhaps she could choose to wear a bra that has clear/adjustable straps? I really hate those clear straps, but if you need support, you need support! If she can find a bra that works for her that has adjustable straps, there are often many ways to wear the bra. I have also heard of people using tape, but I honestly don't know what exactly that would do/how to do it so it would help.

She would probably be a lot more comfortable and confident w/ the support she needs, so I am pro-bra either way!
By DancinDiva5678
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 05:30 PM
I feel her pain as I am that dancer! And yes, going without a bra or an unsupportive bra is not an option.

Victoria's Secret makes a great bra with clear adjustable straps. They are actually transparent, not easily visible like some other "clear straps." Also, the way they hook onto the bra is very secure so you don't have straps flying in all directions (yup, been there too)...

Hope this helps!
By snojulPremium member
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 06:46 PM
I am a DD and Victoria bras don't work for me... I spill out. My endowed kids are required to ace bandage for show... No jiggle at all...
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 06:56 PM
Dude, I am (or was) a DD, and at one point, I had to wear FOUR bras, just to keep the girls down.

And since my boobs became the running target for the stage moms a couple of the girls I danced with had, may I say - for the love of all that is holy, handle it before they can. Leave it for the stage moms, and it turns into a first class disaster.

She's just going to have to strap the girls down. Get her a nude colored leo, and strap the suckers down. Yes up close it's going to look crazy, on stage, no one is going to be able to see anything.

Having one girl in a flesh colored leo vs. the only thing anyone remembers about your group being this girls boobs? I'd take the leo, every day of the week.
By CarabosseKPremium member
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 05:45 AM
I'm also that girl. Unless it's a tap dance or something with a lot of jumping, I create a tape bra out of sports tape. Strapless and backless.

For something that would have a lot of bouncing, please take some consideration when choosing costumes as to what would accomodate a bra...of any kind. If you can find a costume that has a strap configuration to conceal a bra, that bra can be reinforced enough to make it supportive.
By heartzjoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 07:30 AM
That was me too! I will say, the strapless bras are crap in most cases. I remember doing tap in a recital and the strapless bra became a belt as it worked it's way down.

I totally agree with Lidwina's points. If you can find costumes where a bra or other options mentioned can be worn underneath, that would be great.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 08:12 AM
When I made ballroom dresses for girls with larger breasts, I had them buy a strapless bra, that they had to go to a store to be fitted. It had under-wires, and such. I then proceeded to sew it into the dress.

I used to use older bras of mine, and sew them into my own costumes, so I never had to put anything under, it was already a part of the costume.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 08:59 AM
They say that 90% of the support on a bra should come from the band and not from the straps.

I'm a DD and personally I would be ok with a strapless bra.
By Mandance
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:22 AM
This may not be appropriate but I really thought I was going to read about a guy with a giant you know what and was curious as to the advice that was going to be given. LOL!
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:35 AM
Mandance wrote:

This may not be appropriate but I really thought I was going to read about a guy with a giant you know what and was curious as to the advice that was going to be given. LOL!

LMAO!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:06 AM
I would advise against having her wear more than one bra. Honestly it's super uncomfortable and generally looks really bad.

I've been told not to wear bras or to wear clear straps. Nope, doesn't work to well. I think I am a D (even though my mom likes to buy me C cups and wonders why I tend to bubble out of them). She needs to be wearing something with under wire. One good fitting, supportive bra with under wire should work. A sports bra with under wire would be preferable, though that generally can't go under a costume. Go with a nude under wire bra and hope the costume fits her very well and is tight in the chest area.
By BunlessinSeattle
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 AM
Dream_chaser wrote:

When I made ballroom dresses for girls with larger breasts, I had them buy a strapless bra, that they had to go to a store to be fitted. It had under-wires, and such. I then proceeded to sew it into the dress.

When I was a student and training, I remember seeing the costumes for the professional company and always knowing which one was J's costume because of the bra sewn in. I always wish that I had paid attention to how they did that.
By ktmikelle
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 01:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your help!
By eu_dancer_girl
On Fri Oct 07, 2011 03:33 AM
I was that dancer too, and I used to just sew a bra into each costume. It worked great. Bras can be expensive, but if you guys have a H&M tell her to go there. Their sizes worked well for me and they're rather cheap compared to VS.
By JustDancing4Fun
On Fri Oct 07, 2011 05:52 AM
I am a F cup, and a Highland Dancer/Teacher. People with bigger chests MUST wear a good supportive bra, or tendons can tear. The bra that I wear is underwire, and has adjustable straps. I wear a D in this style to minimize the bounce factor.

Champion Powerback® Underwire Sports Bra
www.championusa.com . . .

You can get two different nude colours. I have bought this bra in the US at outlet centers for $35 each.

Good luck!
By dancer56783
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 08:36 AM
She definetly needs a bra or maybe 2. I try to choose costumes with a higher neck line. They make some bras with clear straps, but I'm not sure how supportive they are.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 17, 2011 09:55 PM
You would be surprised what costume choices there are that cover up bras. I was this girl in high school and I was lucky enough that my teachers were always accommodating. I went from a C to a D cup by senior year. My favorite costumes were the ones that had several different options but all looked good together, so I could have the costume with the more modest tops while other girls could have the costumes with the skimpy straps, I don't know if you have already purchased costumes or not. I will say though, that in my experience I never found a good bra with clear straps. They usually snapped within a few wears. My mother took to sewing strapless bras into my costumes, or sewing them into nude leotards. At first I had thought that a strapless wouldn't work because it would shift, but if it fits properly it usually does the trick.
By Tapdanzer
On Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:26 PM
For my larger chested students, I have them bring me in a bra for every dance their in (full coverage, good support) and they get sewn into every costumes. They don't even need to be strapless because I have their straps covered in the material of the costume (and the smaller chested dancers also have the same colour straps). This only doesn't work if you want to do a strapless costume!
By Tap_Dance_Kid
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:21 PM
It might help if I knew her actual bra size.

I've been big chested since high school and have always doubled up on bras. Full underwire as well as a sports bra. Now mind you, I only had to use those under a Pom uniform. Dance costumes are another story...

Depending on her size, I HIGHLY recommend Cacique's Balconette bras. They have MORE than enough coverage and support to wear that and nothing else. I am a 40DDD and I teach tap, hip hop and even take Zumba class wearing only this bra. However, the colors are tricky. The nude wont match her skin properly. You can try dying a white bra to more match her skin tone.

If that doesn't work for her, I would also suggest going to a bra boutique. They can fit her for a bra that will work for her costumes. If they cant, any good bra salon can make a custom bra for her.
By danceworks3220Premium member
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 AM
Im an F and have had to ace bandage and duct tape when I was competing at a younger age....I also have found if you can be creative go to the drug store and put two neoprene knee wraps together (ones with Velcro) this kind of "rigging" worked for the girls who didnt want to duct tape...or they had more "revealing" costumes. All the knee/back braces we used were nude color.

ReplySendWatch