Forum: Arts / Pets

Cat's won't get along :(
By Lovesongmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 06, 2011 09:21 PM

So long story short I moved into my current place a year and a half ago and introduced my old cat to my new one. It wasn't easy to get them to get along, but they finally got to a point where, even though they refused to cuddle up together, they'd play-chase each other around the apartment and just generally get along.

A few weeks ago now they started fighting again. Not huge fights, but growling and hissing at each other a lot. They still get along about half the time, but the other half seems to be a battle of wills to determine which one is the alpha between them.

Which I would understand if this was a year ago and they hadn't settled all that already, but they HAD settled it and had gotten into a routine of getting along and respecting their own little hierarchy. Until recently.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows why this would happen after they've been getting along for the past year already. If it doesn't start getting better in the next little while I'll have to consider rehoming the younger cat, and while I'm more attached to the older one, I'd hate to have to say goodbye to either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2 Replies to Cat's won't get along :(

re: Cat's won't get along :(
By onelyfeoneluv
On Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:51 AM
You could try giving them there own space of you have the availablity for that. Perhaps give the older cat time in your room, because he/she is probably feeling upsett with the new arrival. Also try and play with them seperately once a day and then together once a day so they each know they get your full attenion but need to play with each other as well.
re: Cat's won't get along :(
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 PM
^These are good suggestions. I have two kitties that didn't get along before, but do now. They still have spats though because the boy kitty, Dustan, is much more cuddly than my girl kitty, Indiana, and so he gets more cuddles. If she's curled up with one of us he'll come and take her spot sometimes too, so to resolve this we started closing the door and letting her spend more time with us.

You could try Feliway diffusers. They're a little expensive, but worth it. They release the same kind of hormones that kitties release from their cheeks when they rub their cheeks on things, so they help to calm cats down. My girl kitty used to be REALLY anxious and irritable until we started keeping that stuff around. Now she doesn't even need it anymore.

ReplySendWatch