Popular Teachers

Considering going back to teaching.... by pinktights27
I resigned my position at the high school where I was coaching dance and colorguard last school year

Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 1 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
Politics & Current Affairs
Occupy Wall Street (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Fri Oct 07, 2011 09:22 PM

Surprised there isn't a thread about this movement already.

occupywallst.org

The protest has been building for weeks now with, as far as I can tell, very little mainstream news coverage. It's all over Twitter and some musicians I know are very supportive and have been going down to play for the protestors.

It has also spread to other US cities and is about to take hold in Australia as well.

I've seen this Tumblr that documents the people (the 99%) that are part of the protest. I found it really interesting.

What are your thoughts? Do you support the protests? Do you believe, as they do, that the link between the people that control the money and the people that make the law is corrupt? Why do you think that there is very little media coverage when the Tea Party got so much, comparatively?

Helen

165 Replies to Occupy Wall Street

re: Occupy Wall Street (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11219, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:15 PM
Edited by Odessa (22571) on 2011-10-07 23:26:21
What are your thoughts?
I love it. I love everything about it. It's organic, it's grassroots and I can't believe how long it's been going on before being reported in the media over here.

Do you support the protests?
Absolutely. I am Occupying Melbourne next weekend and I can't wait.

Do you believe, as they do, that the link between the people that control the money and the people that make the law is corrupt?
Absolutely. I think we are comparatively lucky here in Australia to have free basic healthcare and interest free student loans and a higher minimum wage but I believe absolutely that we really don't have any control over what happens to us - when the CEO of Westfield is earning 15 million dollars a year and I got fired because my company didn't want to pay me casual retail rates when I went back to school? The system is BROKEN.

Why do you think that there is very little media coverage when the Tea Party got so much, comparatively?
BECAUSE THE PEOPLE MUST NOT MOBILISE. WE MUST PROTECT THE MONEY!!!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
re: Occupy Wall Street en>fr fr>en
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2505, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 02:31 AM
I think this is a great movement and I agree 100% with what Erin said.

I'd love to write more, but I've gotta run. I'll just leave you with two links:

This is a post from reddit about how the protests were covered by major news sites around the world.

And this is a comparison of the US media's coverage of Occupy Wall Street versus the Tea Party Protests.

I'll also say that I was working on my laptop the afternoon/evening of Sept 17th (the day the protests started). I follow quite a few news organizations on twitter (mainly Canadian and US, but a few international news sites as well), and the first one to report on OWS in my twitter feed was Al-Jezeera English (@AJEnglish). I thought that was VERY interesting.

Gotta run, but I'm interested in everyone else's take. :)
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11219, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 03:24 AM
Oh, my god. I LIVE for the Al Jazeera news. It absolutely craps all over every other news service I have ever seen.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 2811, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 04:37 AM
If you're going protest this, AT LEAST confine your protest to the actual individual culprits, and AT LEAST propose specific details for handling it. Here are a few starters:
1. Campaign directly against all politicians who backed the concept of "too big to fail" or backed any "stimulus" for such entities.

2. Campaign directly against any politician who committed any waste - particularly if that waste was personal extravagance or failure to set a good frugal example.

3. Campaign directly against anyone who received a cushy Government job or a cushy Government contract.

4. Nothing can be accomplished by a protest against the generality known as Wall Street. Individuals, not the street, are responsible for this mess, and individuals, not the street must correct it - or be cleared out of the way so that other individuals can correct it. Start naming those individuals and broadcasting those names.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 04:06 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-10-08 16:07:10 FFS
I think it's stupid. Mostly because these are young, privileged suburban kids - upper-middle-class college hipster "activists." They don't have a clear message and don't really know what they're protesting if you ask them (and the media has actually picked up on this - FOR ONCE!). More to the point, THEY DON'T KNOW THE LAWS regarding protesting... so when they break them, they freak out and call it "police brutality."

Um no, you're just freaking ignorant. I have little respect for protestors (because it is a highly ineffective way of getting anything done), and absolutely NO respect for people who break the law and then whine about being punished for it.

The day Occupy Wall Street protestors were arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge (news to which my dad replied, "That's not Wall Street... did they get lost?"), TWO marches had crossed the bridge previously that day and had no troubles with police whatsoever. Protestors were arrested because they were walking in the street... which is illegal.

Too many people, ignorant of the laws, poorly organized, with no message and no purpose.

By the way - "we are the 99%"? The top 1% of American households earn 18.1% of comprehensive income and pay 27.6% of taxes, including:
-38.8 percent of federal individual income taxes
-4.0 percent of federal social insurance taxes (Social Security and Medicare)
-58.6 percent of corporate income taxes (indirectly, through stock ownership)
-5.5 percent of federal excise taxes (on such things as gasoline, tobacco, alcoholic beverages and telephones)

This is the highest they have paid since the earliest year we have figures for. They pay more than they did before President Bush's tax cuts. Note that they pay more than their share in everything.

...but why mention that?

There is a drastic, statistically proven disconnect between the political elite and the mainstream American electorate. However, it is highly, highly unlikely that the majority of the elite are in that 1%. (I would bet haven't heard of most of the members.) Members of the political elite are not determined by income.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12254, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 05:13 PM
Not sure why you think it has so little media coverage. It's all over CNN.

I'm still deciding where I stand on the whole thing. But I don't really have time as I"m working seven days a week trying to get my own business off the ground. I don't have time to be lolling around in a tent for weeks on end, playing in drum circles and dressing like a corporate zombie. Without any deep analysis, my first impulse is to think that some of those there have very good points and some of those there could be putting their time to better use. How's that for vague? lol~
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 05:28 PM
As far as the media coverage goes, d4j, this has been going on for weeks and it is only now that the media is covering it. I've been following this on Twitter since before there was any coverage in Australia and according to those I follow, none of the news outlets in the US were interested at first.

I don't have CNN. I live in Australia and I don't pay for "cable".

Helen
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12254, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 05:38 PM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2011-10-08 17:40:21
I meant CNN on the internet. At least there it has been covered since the beginning.

www.cnn.com

:)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 06:05 PM
Yeah, this has been all over the news. Forgot to mention. I don't watch TV, but online, but it's definitely covered.
By slice Comments: 1160, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 06:25 PM
No opinion really, but I find this somewhat relevant:

Image hotlink - 'http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1317906000752_2511751.png'
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7007, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 07:19 PM
I've been on that tumblr all morning reading peoples stories. There are some very sad examples of despondency out there. I can't believe there are people younger than me (I am only 23 years old) that are in so much debt already. I can't even imagine. :?

This is slightly off topic, but one poster said he had plans to join the military - but couldn't because he has Chinese characters tattooed on his back. What is that about? Are people with tattoos not allowed to enroll in the military, or is it specifically because it is in Chinese? Genuinely curious.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6836, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 07:25 PM
In the US people in the military are full of tattoos. Maybe it had to do with what the tattoos said or when he got it (infection concerns or something of the like?) Thats strange to me.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7007, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 07:32 PM
^ the translation was apparently 'a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.'

very cruelly ironic. :(
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 07:40 PM
^ The military in the last 10 years started a really strict tattoo policy.....it used to be that if you already had them before coming in your could get a waiver depending on the tattoo (it couldn't be extremist, indecent, sexist or racist)....if you got any more they COULD NOT be seen while in ANY form of uniform. I think that has recently changed a bit....I looked at AR-670-1 (Army uniform Reg) and it said that “Tattoos that are not extremist, indecent, sexist or racist are allowed on the hands and neck. Initial entry determinations will be made according to current guidance.”

It depends on what the Characters actually said....it's possible that they were indecent and he may not have known that they were.
By Tansey Comments: 2234, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 09:02 AM
Heart wrote:

I think it's stupid. Mostly because these are young, privileged suburban kids - upper-middle-class college hipster "activists."

Heart, what do you base this statement on? I work in a very blue-collar, working class, old industrial Northeast city with a high unemployment rate. Many, many people from there are taking part in the Boston occupation. It's been endorsed by some of the local blue-collar unions. Even the local teachers organization has expressed support.

I have been watching the news coverage. I see old people on canes, unemployed, scared and disillusioned middle-aged people. I believe all of these groups would be most surprised that you consider them to be "young, privileged suburban kids - upper-middle-class college hipster "activists."
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6145, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 09:17 AM
I think it's stupid. Mostly because these are young, privileged suburban kids - upper-middle-class college hipster "activists."

Traditionally college students have led the initiatives on public protests. This was true in the days of Martin Luther King in the 1960's as well as Tiananmen Square in China in the late 1980's. Also, not all college kids are privileged or suburban.

I believe that the growing momentum of this demonstration is telling. What may have started out as a few kids walking cross town from NYU has grown into a more diverse statement.

I don't know if I am going to join the "statement" or not. Honestly, if I do, it will be part of a New York trip with my family. I'm thinking of perhaps bringing my grandchildren into the city for a day, and perhaps bringing them down for a photo op. The nine year old has a costume that is a full body size $100.00 bill and since the decisions being made right now will be on the backs of these small children to pay, when they are older and bearing the weight of the greedy choices made today by the powers that be, I would like them to know that there were may people of good conscience who tried to save them and other children from this fate.

It really doesn't have to continue this way. Unfortunately, history has shown us that it most likely will.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:05 PM
I live relatively close to NYC & from what I have heard/seen it is mostly college students. I have a few friends participating or who saw the protests. I mean, it's New York for crying out loud, homeland of the hipster scum - who do you think is doing the protesting? (Stating the obvious: tongue-in-cheek sarcasm here.)

My friend who was up there the past 2 days protesting lives with his folks in a McMansion with a 3-car garage. His dad is a corporate lawyer and I can't even imagine what tax bracket he's in. So you see how very little I am moved by his participation... Sure you're not in the 1%, more like the 15%... I don't think you get to complain, kiddo!

I have not been following it closely, only caught a few news reports early on, so I'm sure things are a bit different now. Most of the news reports I saw were whining about "police brutality" and such nonsense.

But anyway... this is one of the richest areas in the country. We are HARDLY representative of the damn 99%. (If we are even a part of it!) I saw this sort of hypocrisy all the time in DC, so yeah, I'm jaded.

BUT IT'S TRUE. This is the NYC Metro Area. Let's get real.

/Obviously I am not talking about the rest of the country.
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 08:11 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-10-09 20:14:48
This is pretty much everything I hate about the movement, condensed to one ignorant encounter.

This was shared on FB by Flex Your Rights (www.flexyourrights.org), one of my favorite organizations, who captioned it: "Sorry, Occupy DC leaderless leadership. Just like the cops, you do not possess a special right not to be filmed in public."

(Not to mention what they're actually saying at the meeting!)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5059, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:41 PM
I think it is pointless and kind of stupid. I don't think they are going to achieve anything.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16138, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:28 AM
^ Agreed. Many don't even seem to know why they are protesting.

kk~
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14366, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:12 PM
Aw, Heart, why did you have to post that? Now I'm at a loss for words and I hate when that happens!
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6373, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 03:13 PM
Something about this whole thing just really turns me off. At first I had no idea this was even going on, then I was browsing Reddit one day with my man and saw a post like...."donate sleeping bags for OWS! This is an extreme need!" And me, in my happy, social justice mind thought the poster was asking for sleeping bags for homeless people in NYC...I thought maybe OWS stood for "Out Without Shelter". .....and then I realized they wanted people to donate sleeping bags to the people protesting in Occupy Wall Street. And I gagged a little bit. Not really sure why I am sharing this but it really just pissed me off for some reason.
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 03:30 PM
You think these people don't know what they are protesting?

This is what they are protesting.

Don't worry, it's very concise.

Helen
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16138, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 03:38 PM
I didn't say I didn't understand it. But I saw news people interviewing people in the crowd who did not really know why they were protesting. They were just joining in on the 'fun'. Stupid, IMO. If you are going to support a cause, know what it's about, that's all I'm saying.

kk~
Page:
Page 1 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch