Popular Highland

Justechnique Monthly Competition 7th Sept Twechar by dinara
Forms available from eventsmargaretmcewan@hotmail.co.uk 9.30am start Twecher Healthy living Centre. Cafe facilities on premises.

Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 2 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: Occupy Wall Street en>fr fr>en
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 04:14 PM
Better yet, check out this "explanation" from Occupy Wall Street's website.

...wow. It's really great how they give specific examples, list policy goals, clearly enumerate their stances on issues and... oh... wait.

*headdesk*

It's vapid ideological drivel that sounds pretty but in actuality doesn't say anything.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6041, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Fri Oct 14, 2011 01:41 PM
I'm still not entirely sure what I think about the seemingly murky goals of OWS, but regardless of your opinion on the protests, I think the level of organized democracy involved is pretty fantastic:

If anyone doesn't have time to watch the video, it's basically a display of the consensus process at OWS. Since there are so many people and no distinct leaders, they make decisions by having the crowd repeat what the speaker says until the words reach everyone in the group. For voting, everyone follows the same system of hand signals.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Fri Oct 14, 2011 07:07 PM
re: Occupy Wall Street (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Fri Oct 14, 2011 08:27 PM
The 1% make at least $350,000 annually. That is income, not net worth. The top 1% are the SUPER-RICH. We are talking millionaires and billionaires almost exclusively.

"My mom worked two jobs to put us through school" = NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE 1%.

Stop throwing around numbers like they have no meaning! Jesus Christ, I'm supposed to take these people seriously and they think "over $100,000" puts them in the 1% of all Americans' income?! That's the low end of the 20th percentile!

Also, ROFLcopters at the dirty hippies being kicked out of their protest park. So pissed the city pansied out. Sorry, but no, your right to protest STOPS when it infringes on the rights of others - like the ability to move freely about New York City. And NO, you do NOT have the right to "Occupy Wall Street." It's ILLEGAL.

POWER WASH THEIR ASSES, BLOOMBERG! Come on! Would someone please enforce the law?!
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6118, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Oct 16, 2011 01:24 PM
Image hotlink - 'http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Wall-Street-1.jpg'

I was surprised to find that Wiki has this poster listed as considered for deletion.

What is that all about?

Keep On Dancing*
On Sun Oct 16, 2011 03:07 PM
Christine wrote:

Image hotlink - 'http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Wall-Street-1.jpg'

I was surprised to find that Wiki has this poster listed as considered for deletion.

What is that all about?

Uh, you can go read the discussion for yourself.

Mainly it isn't an accurate representation of the movement, so is irrelevant and off-topic. It doesn't contribute to user's understanding. Additionally, it's copyrighted by Adbusters. I wholeheartedly agree; there's roughly a billionty-eleven better, noncopyrighted pictures out there!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Oct 16, 2011 03:37 PM
All photos are copyrighted.
On Sun Oct 16, 2011 03:48 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-10-16 15:50:45
True, but Wikipedia uses only free content.

Wikipedia's goal is to be a free content encyclopedia, with free content defined as content that does not bear copyright restrictions on the right to redistribute, study, modify and improve, or otherwise use works for any purpose in any medium, even commercially.

"Fully copyrighted" would have been a better term, my b.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3016, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sun Oct 16, 2011 09:20 PM
oz_helen wrote:

You think these people don't know what they are protesting?

This is what they are protesting.

Don't worry, it's very concise.

Helen

I think that the point was that many who are jumping on the bandwagon cannot distinctly communicate why they are there, or they just simply do not know. Many of the protests around the country have been poorly planned. I have watched local news coverage and, I don't know if it was done on purpose or not, many of those that were interviewed seemingly had no knowledge of what they were doing there. The organizers encourage bring a few friends and friends of the friends and lets do something really great... but the people who show up know nothing other than that they are there to seemingly "stick it to the man." It is a shame because it is something that I could get behind. I am not a protesting type of girl, especially when it is done with blatant disregard for the law. At least get permits and do it the right way. There is just something disconcerting about a group who is protesting about the corruption of big business and do not follow laws themselves. I know this is not true of all of the "Occupy Together" locations, but without focus it has all the makings to get out of control.
On Mon Oct 17, 2011 01:17 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-10-17 14:49:12
Friend got arrested for occupying a bank. LOLOLOLOL. His arrest was completely justified, he was totally breaking the law and admits it.

I'm contemplating going down just to check it out for myself. Not sure I can justify ignoring such a news story in my own backyard.

If I do go, I'm bringing Febreeze.

Edit:
I questioned friend on his 99% claims, and he admitted his family actually is closer to the 1%.

Image hotlink - 'http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7r_iwre94Bs/TpXpGP4Av4I/AAAAAAAACes/53n-OwgXhs4/s320/We+are+the+1%2525.+copy.jpg'
^from Bent Objects :)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 7989, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Oct 17, 2011 01:36 PM
Just wanted to say that my university has started protests. I live RIGHT by campus so I heard the chanting.

www.youtube.com . . .#!

For some reason....I heard them chanting at like 2 AM....protesting in the middle of the night isn't normal for this group right?

I wanted to throw rocks at them so they would shutup in the middle of the night.
By AryaID Comments: 35, member since Wed Oct 05, 2011
On Mon Oct 17, 2011 09:32 PM
I thinks its time we had some protests in this country, but I'm not certain that these are the right protests. Even so, some of the police brutality is terrible. The problem is I'm not certain we're fighting the right people here.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3460, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 08:30 AM
^Not unless Jesus and Mary are the right people to fight...
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8863, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 09:25 AM
I'm one of those radical people who thinks that you should only join a protest if you deeply, strongly believe in it (and understand it). It has to be a cause that you are okay getting arrested for, maced for, looked down on for. You have to be knowledgeable and organized. If you join a cause for fun, or to look cool, or to prove that cops are abusive douchewads, you are hurting that cause.

This is exactly what has happened with Occupy. I know with certainty that there are many people involved with Occupy who are genuine. They're not upper middle class hipsters trying to piss off Daddy. However, those people are being greatly overshadowed by the sheeple who want to post some youtube videos and feel like they're a part of history while they actually have no clue what's going on. That's sad. I wish that this had been properly organized (i.e. permits obtained and people knowing the laws) by people who truly felt passionate about the cause, if it had been, my opinion would be different.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8863, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 01:37 PM
I'm posting this just for Heart

Image hotlink - 'http://cheezfailbooking.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/funny-facebook-fails-ows-youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg'
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 02:03 PM
I'm one of those radical people who thinks that you should only join a protest if you deeply, strongly believe in it (and understand it). It has to be a cause that you are okay getting arrested for, maced for, looked down on for. You have to be knowledgeable and organized. If you join a cause for fun, or to look cool, or to prove that cops are abusive douchewads, you are hurting that cause.
I find it odd that everyone is saying stuff like this now, but not when droves of uneducated hillbillies were protesting for the tea party. Does anyone really think those toothless yokels understood the subtleties of macroeconomics? I think not.
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 02:14 PM
panic wrote:

I find it odd that everyone is saying stuff like this now, but not when droves of uneducated hillbillies were protesting for the tea party. Does anyone really think those toothless yokels understood the subtleties of macroeconomics? I think not.

Well, I personally think that the Tea Party is the armpit of American Civilization, so I'm probably not the best person to ask :P It does irk me though, all the tea partiers railing on Occupy. Pot, meet kettle. Hint; you're both black.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3016, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 02:26 PM
Kekoa wrote:

Well, I personally think that the Tea Party is the armpit of American Civilization

I thought New Jersey was the armpit.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7167, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 03:44 PM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2011-10-18 15:44:47
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2011-10-18 15:52:49 .
So....I only have been wondering where the outrage was when the bank bailout happened?

Why no massive across the globe protests then?

Why has this taken over 2 years for people get P'Oed enough about this?!

I'm not saying I disagree with the movement.....I just gotta wonder where the heck it was back in the fall of 2008?

People around the world are just now upset about enough to go protest? REALLY? Day late and a dollar short guys! This should have been a movement when the issue was fresh and the ink not even dry on the bill! :?
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 04:17 PM
People should be occupying a chair in a classroom or at a desk at a job. Go be productive members of society and stop blaming everyone else for the fact that you couldn't follow the yellow brick road to the life you wish you had. Quit spending hundreds on your Northface fleeces and Starbucks Lattes if all you're going to do is moan and groan about economics and finances. Jeez. How pointless.
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 09:53 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-10-18 21:57:50
As some of you know, I've been researching the Tea Party for the past year. Sparing the details, the dynamic behind OWS is very, very similar to what brought about the Tea Party. In fact, I believe it's linked to the dynamic that brought about the London riots as well (though this is just speculation; I haven't researched that enough). The Tea Party movement, however, was (and is) more organized and explicit in terms of its ideology and goals. This is probably because its demographic is older. I should make it clear that, as much as I jokingly whine about OWS, I do not think that all its members are completely ignorant. Only a fool would think that of such a widespread and popular movement (on either side of the political spectrum). I understand what OWS is trying to say; they're just having problems articulating it.

OWS and the Tea Party movements are just two liberal and conservative sides of the same coin, reflecting socioeconomic changes in the political arena, both domestically and globally.

Kekoa: lollerskates, I saw that. ♥ Failbook.

Also:
hooray4jj wrote:

Kekoa wrote:

Well, I personally think that the Tea Party is the armpit of American Civilization

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK
On Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:25 PM
Heart wrote:

As some of you know, I've been researching the Tea Party for the past year. Sparing the details, the dynamic behind OWS is very, very similar to what brought about the Tea Party. In fact, I believe it's linked to the dynamic that brought about the London riots as well (though this is just speculation; I haven't researched that enough). The Tea Party movement, however, was (and is) more organized and explicit in terms of its ideology and goals. This is probably because its demographic is older. I should make it clear that, as much as I jokingly whine about OWS, I do not think that all its members are completely ignorant. Only a fool would think that of such a widespread and popular movement (on either side of the political spectrum). I understand what OWS is trying to say; they're just having problems articulating it.

OWS and the Tea Party movements are just two liberal and conservative sides of the same coin, reflecting socioeconomic changes in the political arena, both domestically and globally.

Kekoa: lollerskates, I saw that. ♥ Failbook.

Also:
hooray4jj wrote:

Kekoa wrote:

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK

I know you're from Jersey, but you resemble an armpit? :P
On Wed Oct 19, 2011 06:29 AM
Heart, you should create a different avatar for each of your personalities so we can tell which one we're talking to.

The Tea Party movement, however, was (and is) more organized and explicit in terms of its ideology and goals. This is probably because its demographic is older.
Oh please. The tea baggers got their explicit goals from the conservative arm of the republican party who immediately swooped in and provided them.
By slice Comments: 1152, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:39 AM
Hope this hasn't been posted already, buuut: What Percent Are You?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 7989, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:10 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2011-10-19 12:13:00
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2011-10-19 12:16:45 On second thought, lets not put in my boyfriends income on DDN.
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2011-10-19 12:23:32 Took out link that had my personal information!
I think that formula could be turned biased though, because it doesn't take into account the zipcode of people in the area. $120,000 doesn't go far in this area, but it may go far in Iowa. I wonder if they have websites to check what percent you are based on the average of your zipcode?

The average household income of a bunch of my friends parents+ some of my family are in the 96% ( with both parents working) but they do NOT live like they are in the top 2%-3%.
$240,000 a year ( without taxes taken out) does not get you really far when the price of a 2156 sq feet condo is $879,950 and that would be considered one of the ghettoish houses.
Page:
Page 2 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch