Forum: Teaching Assistants

Teaching Assistant Positions NYC...
By hermionedance
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 09:42 PM

Hello!

I am a dancer currently training in NYC and would love to teach dance someday. What is the best way to find an assistant teacher position so that I can learn that way? I am not currently affliated with any small/home studio where I could ask the teacher. Thanks!

:)

7 Replies to Teaching Assistant Positions NYC...

re: Teaching Assistant Positions NYC...
By RosePremium member
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 03:45 AM
Find some studios that might fit you (the atmoshpere is what you are looking for, the size, the kind of teaching/discipline). Send them your resumé with a letter why you would like to work for them. Be open for interviews.
If you haven't heard anything after 2, 3 weeks you can call, ask them if they received your letter.
By hermionedance
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 01:15 PM
thank you, that sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a try!
:)
re: Teaching Assistant Positions NYC... (karma: 1)
By NDow
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 04:10 PM
Also, you may wish to start with the teachers with whom you are studying, or the Admin. at these schools. Tell them what you'd like to do, see if such a position exists at their school, and if not, perhaps they can give you some recommendations and advice on the best next step.
By DaDancingPsych
On Tue Oct 11, 2011 07:01 AM
Also, you may want to sort out what your expectations are. Personally, I have always been paid to be an assistant (both when I was a teenager and when I was adult being mentored in the fashion you desire.) I really appreciated the pay, as I did work my hiney off (as well as learn a lot.) However, some schools may not have a paid position like this. You may want to consider what your expectations are concerning compensation... is it enough to just learn?
By hermionedance
On Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:57 AM
I was honestly just going to volunteer to gain experience because I have none, though it would be great to be paid if they had such positions. I would do either; right now I'm just trying to get my feet wet, feel more comfortable and learn as much as I can so I can transition into teaching my own classes eventually...
By hermionedance
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. My teacher at BDC at is AMAZING and came up to me asking if I'd be interested in being teaching assistant. She set me up with a couple studios that her company members run. I'm so excited and lucky and thankful that I have her in my life.
By NDow
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 03:49 PM
That's very good news, hermionedance -- congratulations!

ReplySendWatch