Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Get better at ami and walking at the same time? New to tahitian.
By pbj
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:49 PM

Drills? Help? Whats the technique with legs and feet as well as hips to get the best and smoothest possible movement?

4 Replies to Get better at ami and walking at the same time? New to tahitian.

re: Get better at ami and walking at the same time? New to tahitian.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 03:04 PM
I've never had to do that! I hope someone answers because I'd like to know that one, too. I've only just gotten jumping faarapus last year.
On Wed Oct 19, 2011 06:33 PM
I've been experimenting since you asked this. And so far the only thing I'm getting is, Keep Those Knees BENT! lol!
By love2learn
On Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:37 AM
I've just barely started being able to walk and ami at the same time, so I'm no expert, however, what I do is I fa'arapu for a while at a slow to moderate pace. Then, after I've been doing that for a little while, I just step forward and ami/fa'arapu 4 times. Then I step with the other foot and do the same. I keep doing that, then I just shorten it to 2 ami/fa'arapus per step. I do that backwards and forwards for awhile, and increase the pace I'm going. I hope that helps somewhat!
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 02:13 PM
It seems to go better if try and start with side to side first. My teacher made a YouTube on this. If you want I'll PM you the link. She just does her faarapu and then moves side to side in between her sets of faarapus. So she'll do an 8 count and then on her next 8 count, she'll step to the side on the 2 count and have lets meet at 4 and step back again at 6 and have legs meet again at 8.

I've noticed if I start the drill slow and build up speed little by little, I step side to side better over time.

ReplySendWatch