Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Online Certification
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Thu Oct 13, 2011 04:24 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has done any online Yoga Certifications. I understand that most of the courses are not accredited, but I would be doing as much as I can to supplement the online course. I am short on money and looking to change career fields completely. I have been dancing for 22 years, taking yoga classes for the past 10 years, and I need something as a jumping off point. I would like to combine a personal trainer certification along with it, but just don't know where to start as most of the certifications in my area are just too expensive. Any advice is appreciated!

3 Replies to Online Certification

re: Online Certification
By cellofalls Comments: 41, member since Tue Sep 01, 2009
On Thu Nov 03, 2011 09:58 PM
Hello!
I actually have never heard on online certifications for yoga so I don't have much advice regarding that. However, you mentioned you were tight on money, have you looked into community colleges? I dont know where you live but where I'm at the community colleges offer certification programs where you can get a cert in personal training or yoga or nutrition. For the school by me for the yoga cert it is cheaper than most schools and still offers like 400 hrs.
Hope that helps!
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Nov 10, 2011 09:51 AM
They're out there but how good they really are is up for debate if you google online yoga certification you'll get plenty of places claiming that they offer it.
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4229, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Thu Dec 01, 2011 09:07 PM
Where are you? My 200 hour RYT cert was only $2,500. It was a very high quality training. I wouldn't cert. online. There is so much hands on training required to teach yoga safely and effectively, IMO. Hands-on adjustments must be monitored by a teacher in person, and the very nature of yoga is so intimate and personal, I can't imagine doing it online. Not to mention the spiritual and philosophical aspects of yoga practice...such material should be covered in a group setting within which to bounce ideas, debate, and ponder. Find a good training in your area! It's worth it. Would you train to teach dance online? I certainly would not.

Just my humble $0.02 :)

ReplySendWatch