Forum: Arts / Books

Got a gift certificate and looking for book recommendations
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:51 AM

I got a gift certificate at Chapters and I am looking for good book recommendations.

I used to like to read, but since I have so many readings to do for university, I kind of lost my love for books. I have a lot of unread books about politicians, history, etc. at home.

The books I am willing to buy and would have to be non-intellectual. No biographies, no novels, no books about politics or history.

I am looking for something light. A feel-good book. Something that would be similar to a magazine. Girl power books, books about fashion and all things glamourous, funny books, books with a pink cover are all acceptable. You get the picture? I want to be able to read a couple of pages at night, not think to much about it, put it back on my shelf and get back to it weeks after.

Any suggestions?

6 Replies to Got a gift certificate and looking for book recommendations

re: Got a gift certificate and looking for book recommendations (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member
On Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 PM
Anything by David Sedaris.

His essays are short, funny, and wise.

Book include, Me Talk Pretty One Day, Barrel Fever, Naked, Holidays on Ice, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, When You Are Engulfed in Flames....they are all good.

One of his books is actually a collection of short stories NOT written by him, but compiled by him for a literacy charity, Children Playing Before A Statue of Hercules. It is a nice collection if you enjoy short stories, but it isn't written by him and isn't particularly funny.

If you want to check out his work before you buy any of the collections, Public Radio, usually "This American Life", often features his work, and The New Yorker also publishes a great deal of his work. I've found several of his essays on line.

The Santaland Diaries are the darkest, yet funniest holiday traditions you'll find.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Got a gift certificate and looking for book recommendations
By Tansey
On Fri Oct 14, 2011 02:25 PM
^I agree completely. David Sedaris is hilarious. The only thing better than reading his books is listening to him on NPR. You can also "like" him on Facebook, where he posts some pretty funny stuff.
By forgetxmexnot
On Fri Oct 14, 2011 05:44 PM
For some girlie mindless books, I've always loved Meg Cabot. Most people think of her as the author of the Princess Diaries series and think her stuff is aimed at teenagers, but her books aimed towards adults are definitely great. I've always liked the The Boy series (The Boy Next Door, Boy Meets Girl, Every Boy's Got One). It's hilarious and it's told entirely through IMs, emails, etc which you would think would be annoying but it's actually really mindless and easy to read.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 15, 2011 08:29 AM
I forget who its by now, but when I was on holiday I read "Spying in High Heels" - it's a totally stupid, girly book, but I really enjoyed it! Not my usual thing at all, but it was free on Kindle. I also quite like Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series.
By dreamyangel
On Thu Oct 20, 2011 04:10 PM
If you can handle a little naughty book, not sexually but cursing and such, "Apathy: And Other Small Victories" by Paul Neilan is amazing. This was laugh out loud on almost every page funny. No joke I was in histarics with this book. The very first line is "I was stealing salt shakers again."

Totally in LOVE with David Sedaris! Here is a clip of his writing on Letterman. www.youtube.com . . .

His book "Holidays on Ice" is my other favorite work of his. Soo funny! His Christmas as an elf is amazing.
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 20, 2011 05:19 PM
I second Meg Cabot and Sophie Kinsella. They're my go-to authors when I need something light to read. 'The Boy Next Door' is one of my all time favourite books.

ReplySendWatch