Forum: Advice / Beauty - Makeovers

Beauty - Makeovers
Help me pick, long or short!
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:57 PM

I would love to hear all of your opinions regarding the length of my hair. A bit of background info, I had all of my hair cut off by the hairdresser around 4 years ago.
I was livid because I did not give her permission to do so. I have been growing it out ever since and this is the first time I have ever had longish hair.

The first picture is how it currently is. If I let my hair dry on it's own, I have next to no volumn. It pretty much lays flat against my head. In order to get my hair like this, I use a lot of mousse, backcombing and hair spray. My hair also like to hold water so it takes me a good 10 minutes to blow my hair dry (using a high wattage dryer).
Pros to this length - I love it, I can do any up-do or style it however I want (thought I never do. I have never even curled it), good length for acting
Cons to this length - The drying time, the time it takes to style it

Second picture (please excuse the face) is what it looked like probably a year after it was chopped, so 3 years ago.

Third picture is how I would cut it if I went short, but slightly longer maybe.
Pros - Short dry time, can be girly or messy
Cons - Not so great for acting, most auditions want you to have long hair, my face is a lot rounder so it may not look as good (it is slimming down as I lose weight though), longish styling time in the morning, can not do an up-do or curl it.

I would love to hear your opinions on what you think. To be honest, I am getting sick of my long hair. I am tired of drying it and styling it. I am tired of it always being in my face. On the other hand, I love being able to play with it and put it up in creative ways on the off chance that I do put it up. Some days I REALLY love the length of it, others not so much. I am right in the middle. I both love and hate it.

So hard to decide :/

3 Replies to Help me pick, long or short!

re: Help me pick, long or short!
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 08:52 AM
If you're tired of drying and styling your hair, the cut you have pictured below may not be the best option. In order for it to look good, you're going to need to blow dry it, flat iron it, and backcomb it, and you'll need to use a lot of volumizing product. So the only difference between that and what you're doing now is that your hair will take less time to dry. It still won't exactly be low maintenance.

I do like your hair in the second picture, but I think the darker and longer hair makes you look older, and I seem to remember that being something you wanted, to look more your age and not be mistaken for a teenager or get cast as a young teenager all the time. And if you feel that shorter hair may limit your acting opportunities, maybe it's not the best decision for you. But I also remember that you used to use hair extensions. Would you be opposed to using extensions for your acting jobs? That might give you the best of both worlds.
By SpiffyLlama78 Comments: 1465, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 AM
10 minutes to blowdry really isn't all that long. How do you blowdry your hair? Believe it or not the actual technique you use is really important.

Also, make sure you aren't using a volumizing product that is too heavy for your hair. A light spray only on your roots should be enough, the product will move down to your midshaft and ends as you use your brush.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 01:50 PM
My normal routine is putting my head upside down, putting mousse all over my roots, putting my head upright and using a round brush with hot air and then blasting it with cold. It still does not hold. Then I go through and back comb it. The round brush makes my hair straight so I don't use my straightener. Then I go in and back comb the crap out of it and play around for a good 15 minutes.

If I were to cut it short, I make sure to get a style that would allow me to do what is in the picture, but still be able to leave it normal with just a bit a backcombing is that makes sense. So I don't have to go all out for going just to the store.

And yes, I am willing to use my extensions.

ReplySendWatch