Forum: Competitions

Another reason why I love The Power of Dance competition. See what they are doing now.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 06:46 PM

They are adding a new category to The Power of Dance this year, the “Exceptional” category. They will invite any studios with special needs students of any sort to allow them to share our stage, free of charge.

This competition, that I have sent some of my own students to attend, and have judged for (in other states) a few times, has raised so much for charities. I love that they are adding this and wanted to share.

22 Replies to Another reason why I love The Power of Dance competition. See what they are doing now.

re: Another reason why I love The Power of Dance competition. See what they are doing now.
By PowerofDance
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 07:40 PM
Thanks Janet!

I must give credit for this idea to Todd, one of our sound men, who's niece has been wheelchair bound since birth. She's actually up for homecoming queen at her high school this very week.
re: Another reason why I love The Power of Dance competition. See what they are doing now.
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 07:51 PM
I love that more and more, people with challenges are being, not just accepted, but included. Kudos to you, Kevin!
By trfrancis
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:07 PM
Edited by trfrancis (10199) on 2011-10-21 21:08:53 Addtl info
That is wonderful! I really wanted to take the girls there and USTD but I think the dates don't work for us this year.

Happy belated by the way.
By hummingbird
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:17 PM
That's fantastic!

How do you determine a special need?

I have dancers that I work with who have Downs, one who has brain injuries, one who has Autism and a couple with Aspergers.

Because I have son's with Aspergers and Autism my daughter and myself have the go to teachers at our studios for the special needs students.

What are you criteria for these competitors?

And! When are you going to have a competition in Western Canada? :)
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 09:31 PM
trfrancis wrote:

That is wonderful! I really wanted to take the girls there and USTD but I think the dates don't work for us this year.

Happy belated by the way.

Yes, sometimes I have had to miss some of my favorite comps due to conflicts.

Thanks!! I had a nice birthday. My husband gave me a coupon for a massage and one for a reading with my favorite psychic medium. My daughter, granddaughter, hubby and my daughter's boyfriend, too me out to dinner. Very nice.
By tumblebugPremium member
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:03 PM
Edited by tumblebug (25049) on 2011-10-21 22:03:54
All competitions have this for all star cheer. It is always the last division before awards so it is standing room only and all the teams are surrounding the floor. They bring the house down every time. It makes you cry.

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:14 PM
Yes, I have seen it in cheer comps. It's great.
By Eeyore03
On Sat Oct 22, 2011 08:11 AM
We have tried to do this comp for the past 2 years but there is never enough entries. I have a special needs class that would love to participate,
By PowerofDance
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:53 PM
Hummingbird --
I really do not know what guidelines will be in place, but I do know that I am not qualified to make them! I'm going to let the studios, parents, and circumstances guide us, on a case by case basis. If someone tells me they have a special need student, I'm going to trust them on that.

One studio has said they have a large program for children with Down syndrome, and that they will break them into groups by ages to make sure they are not competing against each other. They tell me that for these kids, having someone come in second is not an option. Some may prefer to appear "for performance only". Whatever the families want, we'll do it.

Here's what I can tell you, extracted from our initial announcement:

The entire point of The Power of Dance is to encourage children to use their gifts to help others. This new category fits that vision perfectly, for when we’ve had special needs groups perform with us over the past three years, THEY have truly helped US -- our staff, the judges, the performers, and everyone in the audience. No one, anywhere, has ever seen a truer expression of the power of dance, and none will soon forget it.
By millysmommy
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 03:11 PM
PowerofDance -Any chance you guys are thinking about expanding to the West coast/Northwest anytime in the future?
By missingcharmin
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 03:13 PM
I met these guys at the UDMA in NJ this year. This is only our second year as a studio and Power of Dance is on our list of most likely to go this year. Although, I am not happy to hear that they don't always have enough entries, does that mean that they cancel sometimes? Should I have a backup comp for that weekend? I don't like switching comp weekends for my families, so if they cancel, I would have to have something that same weekend. But, I was intrigued that part of the money goes towards charity. Makes you feel somewhat better about the cost of competition for your families.
By avandy83
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 05:54 PM
Love that! Wish they would come to Houston!

Comment #9756989 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-10-23 19:03:33 Ooops, double post

On Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:19 PM
Yes, it has happened, to them, and to other comps, too, that if they do not have enough entries, that they had to cancel. They do not like to but I have heard that some schools pulled out because there was not more competition for them.
By CarabosseKPremium member
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:48 PM
That is so exciting! My sister is handicapped, and while she could never ever be able to dance, I applaud anyone giving an opportunity for disabled people to live the dream. It really touches my heart.
By PowerofDance
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:50 PM
Send me a message about which location you are thinking of and I'll tell you how it looks. You never really know how ANY comp will do. Two of the biggest names in the industry cancelled in NJ last year!

I can tell you this much for certain -- once we've been to a city, we've never had to cancel there after that. In fact, almost all locations we've had have doubled the next year. New cities can be tough, but last year was our first visit to Rochester NY, and we had almost 400 dances.

Janet -- I think you've heard slightly wrong, although it may be how I'm interpreting your sentence. No studio has ever pulled out of one of our events. But -- there have been several times where we had studios with over 100 dances and we offered them a refund if they chose, because there were not many other entries. I would feel as if I were stealing their money! All three times this has happened, they took our offer. Once, a studio had 117 dances but we only had 141 total. So they entered another competition, and they were 117 out of 130!

Also -- we tend to cancel early, around a month to six weeks ahead. I'm not going to be the guy that cancels with three days notice, which happened to a lot of you last year with other comps. There were at least three events that we WOULD have had last year with all the entries that came in two or three weeks after we had already cancelled.

So let us know NOW which regional you think you might be attending. It will help when other studios call us and say "anyone coming to Chicago?" (Chicago is looking good, by the way!)

Millysmommy -- I don't see us heading west for a while, unless you gather up a dozen or so studios and give us a call! That actually happened in Detroit!
By tumblebugPremium member
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 08:30 PM
Edited by tumblebug (25049) on 2011-10-23 20:31:15
With this division at Cheer competitions, lack of entries isn't a problem because they do NOT compete. Everyone is a winner in that division and that is the way it should be. It's free and they all get a trophy, and more importantly- the opportunity to SHINE without competitiveness even being an aspect.
re: Another reason why I love The Power of Dance competition. See what they are doing now. (karma: 1)
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 09:25 PM
Sorry, Kevin. I was incorrect. I remember, now, that you told me that. I stand corrected.
By PowerofDance
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 01:42 PM
I mentioned Carly earlier in this thread, our soundman's niece who has been paralyzed since birth.

Well --

SHE WAS JUST NAMED HOMECOMING QUEEN AT HER HIGH SCHOOL!

sub.gmnews.com . . .
By hummingbird
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 02:33 PM
Congratulations to her.
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 05:57 PM
PowerofDance wrote:

I mentioned Carly earlier in this thread, our soundman's niece who has been paralyzed since birth.

Well --

SHE WAS JUST NAMED HOMECOMING QUEEN AT HER HIGH SCHOOL!

sub.gmnews.com . . .

That is so wonderful! Bit by bit, the new generation is changing the world and what we consider as beautiful. I love this!
By PowerofDance
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:18 AM
Here's another story about Carly.

A poignant moment -- her dad died last year from cancer, only in his 40's. On the day of homecoming, Carly and her mom tell us they knew he was with them because they saw a rainbow. And there had been no rain.

www.mycentraljersey.com . . .

ReplySendWatch