Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 3 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5
re: One thing I know about the rest of my life...
By GingerPremium member
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:38 PM
Well, because this seems to be the thing to do in one's diary... (stolen from Emma, who I think stole from Jonelle!)

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I bought a car! I don’t have a driver’s license so I can’t actually drive it, haha, but my name is on the ownership papers (along with my fiancé’s).

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for this year?
I am pretty sure my resolution was to read 50 books...I read 160! Holy crap! I’ve made the same resolution again this year (I know, I know...) but I’m not sure I will be able to keep it, since I’m not sure lots of leisure time for reading and newborns mix well.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not anyone I’m close to, although a few former coworkers (from my place of work in England) did, along with an old high school classmate. I never met the babies in person, though.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. Although my great-aunt died on New Year’s Eve 2010. And I was devastated by Jack Layton's death this summer.

5. What countries did you visit?
Umm Scotland, Malta, Ireland, and Iceland. I also lived in both Canada and England, which is different from visiting them! Oh, and I was in both Austria and Slovakia (just to catch a flight, but it still counts I suppose) on New Year’s Day 2011, which counts I guess, even though I didn’t travel to Austria in 2011, but woke up in it on the first morning of 2011.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A baby and a husband! Haha.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 2, the date of my proposal.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I think I handled a potentially very stressful situation really well- moving from England to Canada, getting sorted very quickly with a car, then an apartment, then a job. International moves are hard, but we got everything sorted quite well- closing accounts, negotiating with our real estate company, etc.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I didn’t react very well when my wedding venue made a minor (but kind of significant) error. For a while everything fell apart, but things worked out. Still, I didn’t handle myself very well, and I’m not proud of it.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Sort of...does pregnancy related illness count? Because I spent the last 2 months of the year basically puking my guts up (and sometimes having to swallow them back down...ewww) and napping.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
So, I bought a lot of significant things. Lots of flights and train tickets for travelling, tickets to shows and ballets that I loved, a wedding dress, some adorable baby things, etc. But I think my FAVOURITE thing that I bought was this amazing little cropped mini pink leather (ish) motorcycle jacket from Jane Norman. I fell in love with it fall 2010, but found it half off in January 2011. I LOVE that jacket and wore it constantly throughout spring/summer/fall/winter. I hope I can still wear it this spring when I'm huge.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My fiancé’s. I was terrified to tell him I was pregnant. But when I did- oh man, his face LIT UP. He has just been a champ for me all year long and I love him so much.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My sisters’ (both of them). In August I found some messages between the two of them where they called me names, insulted me, said I had no friends and would have to pay someone to be in my wedding, made fun of my wedding colour scheme (pink and ivory- pretty standard, I thought), and said that my fiancé must have really low self esteem, otherwise why on Earth would anyone want to marry me? Appalled and depressed is exactly how I would describe my reaction. And tearful.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel, relocation, wedding. Baby’s not draining our savings yet.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting married AND having a baby.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Forever, the Boyce Avenue version.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier by far. I have always, always wanted a husband and children, and it looks like I’m going to get them.
b) thinner or fatter? Haha, well my belly is a little bit bigger, but as far as weight goes, I think I might be down a pound or two. So I’m ‘fatter’, but weigh less. Boooooo.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Taken time to appreciate the nice lifestyle Fiance and I had in England. Really, we had it pretty good. We made decent money, went out to shows/concerts/ballet/etc fairly often, and did tons of travelling or even just taking little day trips. I think that’s what I miss the most, just hopping on a train for a day and going to a cute little town to explore for the day.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Bought less ‘stuff’, especially clothes. I had to give or throw away so much when we relocated.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We spent this past Christmas at my mom’s in Ontario. Next Christmas we will be spending it at home, hopefully just our family (me, Fiancé, and Baby)- we’ve decided that if people want to see Baby they can come here, instead of us having to drive 4+ hours in winter with an infant.

21. What was your favourite month of 2011?
June or July, I think. Maybe June, because it started off with an engagement on a beautiful mountaintop. They were both just really pleasant months, full of fun day/weekend trips, getting excited to move back home, feeling confident about my job, enjoying life with Fiancé.

22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I did- with my little BABY!

23. How many one-night stands?
None

24. What was your favourite TV show?
Probably my guilty pleasure, Teen Mom and Teen Mom 2. That show always makes me feel really good about myself, my life choices, and my future parenting skills.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. There’s only one person in the world that I think I can say I truly hate.

26. What was the best book you read?
I read SO many, so here’s a list of the best ones I read: A Painted House by John Grisham (NOT a legal thriller), Unless by Carol Shields, Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue, Captain Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de Bernières, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky, the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson, Confessions of a Teen Sleuth by Chelsea Cain, Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don’t spend a lot of time searching for good music, but I did really love the Noah and the Whale concert that I went to- I liked their song on the radio, so I downloaded their album and loved it so much I went to their concert when they came to my city a couple weeks later.

28. What did you want and get?
A baby (well, a pregnancy) and an engagement ring!

29. What did you want and not get?
Very little, to be honest. I’m pretty happy with the way 2011 went. Maybe fewer obnoxious comments about my accent from my juvenile delinquent students in England, but that seems so long ago right now.

30. What was your favourite film of this year?
I think I only went to the movies 3-4 times this year and was meh about all the films I saw. Oh, but I did like Bridesmaids and I saw that in theatres, so I’ll go with that.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My fiancé (then-boyfriend) took me to London for the day where he spent a couple hours with me browsing on Portobello Road. We spent about half an hour in an antique map shop and I bought myself a gift of an antique map of Atlantic Canada. Then we went to dinner and watched street performers in Covent Garden, and then we went to see Billy Elliott. Great day! (Oh, and I turned 26.)

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Honestly, I’m really, really happy with the way the year went. Maybe if a certain student I really disliked had been removed from my school, haha. But it’s not like he made my life miserable or anything.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
My go-to look for work (in England) was a pencil skirt with heels and cute tights, with a blouse or cute tee and a cardigan over it all, belted. In the summer in England I was in love with little sundresses, with cardis or leggings if it was cold. Once we were at my cottage back in Canada it was back to the old shorts-bathing suit-tank top or t-shirt-barefoot look. After I got pregnant I defaulted to jeggings and yoga pants. They are awesome.

34. What kept you sane?
Nothing drove me crazy!

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you have a crush on?
I can’t think of any. There are some that I think are good looking, but I don’t really have a crush on them.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I find that I get less worked up about political issues than I would in the past. In the past I would upset about something like gay marriage or reproductive rights, but now I find that I just want to keep my family (which, for now, is my fiancé, myself, and our fetus) safe and happy. So if an issue doesn’t directly affect me, I’m not likely to stick my neck out or take a strong stance. I know that’s bad, but I find I just don’t get as invested anymore. Maybe immigration stirred me the most. I used to naively believe that most immigrants were decent hard-working people that were unfairly moaned about by the general public of their new country. Seeing firsthand the blatant abuse of the system that goes on (at least in England, and I have no reason to believe that the same thing doesn’t happen in Canada as well) I think that immigration laws need to be strengthened. So I’ve become a lot more conservative on that front. Oh, and I also think that welfare/public benefits needs to be monitored a lot more closely. The abuse of the system that goes on makes me so, so angry. One of the lowest points of my year was doing a goal-setting session with some year 9 and 10 students. When I asked them what they wanted to do when they turned 16 and had to leave school, I got a near-unanimous reply of “Queue up for benefits.” That is so wrong on so many levels. Benefits should be a last resort for people who are not able to work for real reasons (injury, illness, etc), not a viable lifestyle option. Iphones, flat screen TVs, and designer clothes are not rights, they are luxuries that have to be earned through hard work.
Okay, so maybe there are still one or two things I can get worked up over, hehe.

37. Who did you miss?
I missed my best friend when I was in England.

38. Who were the best new people you met?
Some of the children I mentored 1-on-1 at a school through my job were absolutely amazing. I loved them to bits and was so sad when I had to leave them. I think I gave them code names of Joanna, Lexie, Archie, and Paige maybe? Some of the struggles they had been through in their short lives broke my heart but I loved them all. I even fantasized for a while about bringing ‘Lexie’ home to live with Fiancé and I to get her out of her crappy situation. I had it all planned out where she would sleep, how she’d get to school in the mornings, etc.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Plans are great, but what’s even better is being able to adapt as all your plans fall to bits.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Can’t make it all alone, I’ve built my dreams around you.”

I might do a post tomorrow about all the books I read this year...hm. Or at least list them all.
By GingerPremium member
On Thu Jan 12, 2012 02:12 PM
Yesterday was a very scary day for us. I had my appointment in the late afternoon/early evening, and was all excited since if all was well I was going to come out on FB. Well, Baby had other plans. There's no ultrasound machine at my doctor's, so she just uses a Doppler to listen to the heartbeat. She tried for 5-10 minutes yesterday, but couldn't find the heartbeat.

I was worried sick. I was supposed to have an ultrasound at 20 weeks, so my doctor tried to reassure me by saying that Baby was probably just hiding (and we did hear the placenta whooshing, and thought we heard Baby moving at least once). She did say she would call the hospital and make an appointment for me saying it was urgent, so Fiance and I went off trying not to worry.

That lasted, oh, two minutes? I started to cry in the car on the way home, thinking about having to put all the baby things away, return the maternity clothes, how stupid I would feel knowing that I spend the last week reading out loud to a dead baby....Fiance finally managed to calm me down a bit, and we snuggled for a while before dinner. Later in the evening my mom called, since she knew I had an appointment today and wanted to know when my ultrasound was. I started crying again. I am already scared because of her stillbirth (I found out last night it was at 37wks due to a cord issue- also, that it happened in Ottawa, which piqued my interest because she never lived in Ottawa while she was married to my dad, but she did live there while she was doing her education degree, but when she met my dad and they first got married they lived in northern Quebec where Ottawa was the closest big city I think- but why was she there in the first place for a checkup on a routine pregnancy? Because they definitely had doctors in Val-d'Or) and she was just so sympathetic and worried for me that I got even more scared.

I cried again before bed, then woke up this morning when Fiance got up with the plan to call my doctor and ask for a timeframe for my ultrasound, and if it wasn't very quick to call an elective place. Fiance left for work at 7:30, and the doctor's office didn't open until 8, so I fretted for a while before remembering that I got the first Hunger Games book out of the library a while back and hadn't touched it, so I got that and read until 8:15. Called my doctor's office and the receptionist said they had sent an urgent request to the hospital but hadn't heard back yet. So she put me on hold while she called the hospital, but they were busy so she left a message and told me they'd call when they found out. Then I called both elective places, but neither one took patients until 20 weeks. So I fretted a bit more and then eventually read until around 9, when my doctor called back and told me I had an appointment at 1:40.

RELIEF. A bit, at least. I immediately sent texts to my mom and Fiance, then got breakfast and spent the rest of the morning reading. Finished the book around 11am and spent the next hour fretting and trying to occupy myself so I didn't get too worked up. Fiance called a bit after noon, while I was trying to check bus schedules to see when I'd need to leave. He immediately offered to leave school on his lunch break to come pick me up and take me to the hospital. I needed to see him before I went in, so I said yes right away and then at least I had something to do to occupy my time. Impressively, the only time all morning I cried was when I couldn't find the little container we keep loonies and quarters in, for laundry and bus fare. I searched all through the linen closet (where it's always kept), couldn't find it, remembered that I'd last used it to do laundry Monday, and started crying because if I couldn't keep track of laundry and bus money, how would I ever be a good mom? Luckily, I found it about ten seconds later on the coffee table where I'd tossed it after laundry on Monday. Duh.

Anyway, Fiance came to get me, and on the way to the hospital he announced that he was going to drop me off, go back to his school (it's conveniently directly across the street from the hospital, in case I didn't mention that before) and ask to get someone to cover his two half-hour classes after lunch. I was too happy to argue. I was hoping for the best but getting ready for the worst, and I didn't want to be alone if I got bad news so I was glad he'd be there. He dropped me off at the hospital and I waited 15 minutes while he got stuff together to give to a cover teacher and told the office that I had an emergency and he'd just dropped me off at the hospital.

Once he was back, we went down to the ultrasound area of the hospital (even though we were a bit early) and registered. I don't know if we were rushed through or what, but we got called after only about ten minutes of waiting and before two other people who were there before us. I was already sick with worry by that time, and on top of that Fiance and I have a friend who is a freelance writer who had recently done an article on how mean ultrasound techs at this hospital are to pregnant women (barely talking, not explaining anything, etc- one woman apparently said the ultrasound was the worst experience of her pregnancy). They don't diagnose anything or tell the gender at this hospital, so I guess most techs just keep their mouths shut. Anyway, I explained to our tech why I was there earlier than the usual 20 weeks, and she was really nice. The second the ultrasound wand touched my belly, there was Baby, and although there was no volume for us, we could SEE the heart beating. I was so relieved I cried. Again.

Our tech was really nice and told us everything we were seeing (except penis or vagina, of course) and Baby looked 100% fine. Kept moving his/her little hands around, trying to punch his/her way out of the uterus and getting in the way every time she tried to zoom in on the heart. S/he measured totally normal too, which I was worried about since I haven't gained much weight- 18w1d and I'm 18w4d, which I guess is normal.

I am just so freaking RELIEVED. I never knew just how much I loved this little baby until I thought I'd lost it.
By GingerPremium member
On Mon Jan 16, 2012 04:23 PM
So we had tacos for dinner last night. Baaaaaaad choice. My stomach felt awful last night and today. It took almost twenty-four hours for them to pass through. Yuck. I thought I had gained a couple pounds, but I think that was just taco weight, because I weighed myself a few minutes ago and I was back to 109. Which is a slight increase from the last time I weighed myself, but I wish I was gaining a bit more.

Over the weekend, we saw Fiance's good friend who moved to Ottawa and left most of his things in storage here, except for his giant 42" TV that we kept at our place. Anyway, we were looking at TVs in Boxing Day sales but didn't see any great deals, and Fiance really loves this giant thing, so over the weekend he bought it from his friend for 250$. It's only about a year old, and was originally something like 1200$ that the friend got for 750$ (because another friend of theirs works at Future Shop, so any time anybody in their circle of friends wants to buy anything electronic they just go to the friend, who gets it for cost price- sometimes there is a huge difference, like Fiance used to have these speakers that were worth something like 300$, but he got them through the friend for 80$, then sold them at a profit for 150$ when we moved to England and the guy who bought them was pumped he got such a good deal). Anyway, I guess we got a good deal, but I'm not too excited. I just feel that ginormous TVs can look really trashy. You know when you walk in to a house and it's not that big, and the furniture isn't very expensive, but there's a humongous TV and piles of electronic equipment and it's very, very clear what most of the family's money is spent on? I'm not a fan of that look at all. So I told Fiance that the giant TV was ok so long as it was surrounded by bookshelves crammed with books so we don't look like white trash who loves TV more than anything.

Hmm, so Fiance has been at the gym a LONG time. Poor guy didn't have lunch today because there had to be a last-minute basketball practice (he's the staff coach- there's also another non-staff coach who couldn't make it) so he was starving when he got home. I made him a snack before he went to the gym but it's definitely supper time now. Think I will give him a call, because I'm starting to get hungry too! Pregnant woman appetite is rearing its head!
By GingerPremium member
On Tue Jan 17, 2012 09:07 PM
I am feeling so low-energy lately :(.

I got a call this morning from the automated system to go to a school, but when I Googled the name of the school I couldn't find it anywhere, and it wasn't on the school board's website. Later my fiance told me that he thought it was an alternative education centre affiliated with the board, which would make sense, but anyway I couldn't figure out where it was and since I didn't know how to get there, had to turn it down (as if the automated system gives directions, haha). Then I got a call this afternoon to go in tomorrow that I also had to turn down. I have a dr's appointment tomorrow to follow up with my ultrasound, and Baby always, always, always comes first from here on out. A friend did send me a link for a job starting ASAP, teaching Core at a private elementary school. It's only one day a week but sounded sort of interesting, so I might apply. That's the kind of job I think I could even handle once Baby gets here, working one day a week.

So, this was my day today: Got up around 8:30. I had a sex dream about Jesse Eisenberg- apparently I lost my virginity to him when I was 16 and the Oscars were held at my old high school. I have never in my life thought of Jesse Eisenberg in that way. In fact, when I picture him it's not when he was in The Social Network, it's when he was on that show Get Real where Anne Hathaway played his older sister and Taryn Manning (I think) was his deaf girlfriend. That was when he was like 16.

Anyway, got up had a bagel, hung around for a bit reading and watching the morning news and whatnot. Threw up around 10am, so I had a couple crackers and then took a diclectin (boo- I was diclectin-free and vomit-free over the weekend and on Monday, so I was hopeful I was past this stage). Then I started to get really tired, so I laid down for a nap just before 11am. I figured I'd sleep for an hour, hour and a half. Yeah, I didn't wake up until 2:45. This makes the second four-hour nap I've had recently (had another one on Friday). And I had a nap Sunday afternoon too, after I'd only been awake for about 3 hours. I think I'm going to ask my doctor about this tomorrow. You're 'supposed to' have more energy in second trimester, but that has definitely not been the case for me.
By GingerPremium member
On Wed Jan 25, 2012 09:57 AM
Today is a huge day for us...3D ultrasound day, when we find out whether it is a boy or a girl!!!! I am SO excited. I can't wait to be able to buy little things for Baby, and start calling him/her by the name we have picked out. Also excited to be able to stop typing him/her every time I refer to him/her. To be honest I'm sort of hoping for a little girl (Fiance is hoping for a little boy) but I know we'll be thrilled with either as long as Baby is healthy.

I have had to turn down 3 jobs this week because it's too difficult to get to the schools they're at in the mornings when we only have one car and Fiance needs to be at school at 7:30 to run a basketball practice. Too far away to reasonably take the bus (on the other side of the bridge, which means a 45-minute bus ride to the ferry terminal, followed by a ferry ride, followed by another bus ride) and a cab would be about 40$. Ridiculous. I don't mind taking long bus rides home, but in the morning there is a time you have to be there by and I wouldn't make it. It's kind of depressing and discouraging.

Also, pregnancy nosebleeds have started :/. One yesterday and one today. HATE.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 25, 2012 07:20 PM
Get a humidifier... it helps! And it's something that you will use afterwards anyways.
By GingerPremium member
On Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:01 PM
Edited by Ginger (192059) on 2012-01-27 12:02:18
It's a boy!

I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed. I have been picturing a little girl almost from day one and I was so excited to go out and buy little tutus and flower hairbands and the like. Then I felt bad for being disappointed- I know there are tons of couples out there who struggle to get pregnant and I should be grateful that I have a healthy baby boy. And I am, really...I just want to know that I will have a daughter at some point, kwim? I'd be happy with three boys and a girl; I just desperately want to have a little girl, and I guess if the first one was a girl then I could relax and truly not care if it was a boy or a girl in later pregnancies. I adore the little girl name we had picked out and I'm sad I won't be able to use it just now, too. I love our boy name too, but not on the scale of epic love I have for the girl name. (And there will be no name sharing until Baby is here! SOMETHING has to be a surprise, right?)

I really hope there are no freezing ice pellets tonight, like it was predicted last night. We're going to go out and buy some baby stuff tonight- our little one has a nickname already, Baby Bear (I'll call him this from now on) and we want to buy him these from Baby Gap:
www.gapcanada.ca . . .
www.gapcanada.ca . . .

I've also been on Kijiji and am pretty sure I can get most of Baby Bear's wardrobe for the first 6 months for 25$ (about 20 onesies, 5 t-shirts, 10 sleepers, 7 pairs of socks, a dozen bibs, some blankets, a pair of baby sneakers- not sure if we'll use those or not- washcloths, etc). All we'll need to pick up are some fleecy sleepers for the cottage (it gets cold there at night, right on the ocean), little stretchy baby pants, a fleecy jacket type thing and some sleep sacks, I think. People love to give tiny onesies and sleepers as gifts so I think we should be set. Oh, and a few hats.

The ultrasound was awesome. By far the coolest part was watching him kick his little legs and feeling it at the same time- like, 'So THAT'S what you're up to in there!' He kept sucking on his little fingers. Adorable.

And I'll just add that my fiance is amazing. On the way home from work yesterday- late, since his basketball team had a game, and so he got caught in more traffic than usual- he went to two different grocery stores to get me the cupcakes I requested. And oh man, are they ever delicious. Cupcakes made by the same company who does two-bite brownies, so I don't even feel bad that less than 24 hours later there is only one left.
By ballerinatwirler
On Fri Jan 27, 2012 09:47 PM
Congrats on the baby boy! Just think of it this way you won't have to deal with PMS with him. lol.

I can understand especially from a girl's perspective wanting to have a daughter to dress her up and put her in dance classes.

I swear I know of 20+ boys that have been born. I think girls are on strike!
By GingerPremium member
On Thu Feb 02, 2012 04:37 PM
^Thanks!

So I've gotten lazy updating this...I just feel like things are not very interesting in my life right now, kwim? Calls for work have been reallyyyy slow since we came back from Christmas (I think I've had maybe 3 days, plus a few I've had to turn down because I either couldn't get there in time or I had a doctor's appointment I couldn't miss), so I have been spending my days sleeping, napping, watching daytime talk shows, and coming up with nursery ideas for little boys. And stalking Kijiji for good deals. Last weekend we got pretty much everything our little boy will need, clothing-wise, to get through the summer- a crapload of onesies, 8 sleepers, a dozen bibs, 10 pairs of socks, and six tiny little snap-front t-shirts in newborn sizes for the first few days (I heard those were best for brand new babies since they don't interfere with the umbilical cord healing).

We also got a Snap and Go that was used twice for 40$, and a Montreal Canadiens fleece car seat cover (the safe kind that just goes over top, not under baby) for 6$ that was only used once- to take a picture- since by the time it got cold enough the other baby had outgrown his infant seat.

There also appears to be a bit of a headache surrounding our carseat. Originally, MIL said that she would love to buy it for us, just tell her the model we want. Great, right? Incredibly generous. So we went to Babies R Us, played around with carseats, then came home and I read the reviews on our favourite models and we settled on the one we liked the best (Chicco Keyfit). Fiance sends MIL the link on the Babies R Us website, saying that we're certain this is the one we want.

Last night MIL emails Fiance and says she couldn't find it at Walmart or Costco, but she found some crappy travel travel system at Costco, and look, carseat AND stroller! Wouldn't we rather have that? (Note: I know some people love travel systems. I hate them. I find them heavy and cumbersome and most of the strollers are crap in terms of longevity. Our plan is to use the Snap and Go until Baby outgrows his carrier, then get either a lightweight stroller or a decent used one- 400$ Quinny strollers, gently used, go for 75-100$ on Kijiji here- and use that until #2 comes along in hopefully not more than two years and we need a double.)

Anyway, luckily (somewhat hilariously yet somewhat sadly) Fiance does not take crap from her. He's kind of ruthless. He told her that we do not want a travel system, we picked out the carseat that we want and it would probably just be easier if we bought the carseat ourselves and she can get something else for the baby. MIL says oh no, we can get it! They're going to Maine in a few weeks and will pick it up there, where it will be cheaper. Fiance: THAT'S ILLEGAL MOM. CARSEATS BOUGHT IN THE US DO NOT MEET CANADIAN SAFETY STANDARDS AND ARE ILLEGAL AND WILL LIKELY BE CONFISCATED AT THE BORDER. IF YOU SNEAK IT ACROSS THEN IT CAN BE CONFISCATED WHEN WE TAKE IT TO A TECH TO MAKE SURE IT IS INSTALLED PROPERLY. YOU CAN BUY THIS SEAT AT BABIES R U OR IN THE BACK OF A TOYS R US, LIKE IN THE LINK WE SHOWED YOU.

MIL: Okay, where is the Toys R Us or Babies R Us near me?
Fiance: Never mind. We'll buy it. It's easier.

Poor dear (Fiance) is sick today and we had a lovely long lie-in together. I actually slept well last night for a change (Baby Bear has taken to kicking me repeatedly between about 10pm-2am and again between 5:30-7:30), but it was so nice to snuggle up to him that we slept until noon. He's feeling a bit better now, luckily. I felt so bad for him yesterday- he got home, kicked off his shoes, dropped his jacket and backpack, and went straight to bed for a 2-hour nap.
On Thu Feb 02, 2012 06:28 PM
I had the Chicco travel system and it isn't bad. The car seat is AMAZING! Best thing ever to install... The stroller is ok... I'm indifferent to it. I haven't found that we have used the stroller as much as I thought that we would. As far as travel systems go this one actually isn't all that bulky.

I also got a graco car infant car seat which was good because it went to a higher weight and that thing was a royal pain in the back side... The base is a nightmare to install.

Getting a base that is easy to install makes a huge difference, in fact the chicco was so easy we moved it from car to car. If it's easy to install odds are better that it will install correctly.

As far as the next car seat up goes I suggest that you look at the Evenflo symphony... great car seat, very user friendly. A breeze to install, and you don't have to take it out to adjust the straps or head rest.

We got a Alpha Omega from Zellers for $95 and it isn't a bad car seat either.

I have installed 4 different car seats and 2 different bases... What a pain in the backside.

There isn't a HUGE difference in US prices and Canadian prices if you get things on sale.

Has the Chico Keyfit gone to a 30lb max yet? I know my kid is a bit of a freak but at 6 months old she had outgrown it... she was 22lbs at that point. I ended up sucking it up and using the graco (went to 30lbs) and she out grew that lengthwise a few months later... so at 9 months I said to heck with it, and she went forward facing (worked for us, I hate the idea of ERF, if it works for you wonderful). Nope sadly it hasn't...

If you are going to start stockpiling diapers I don't recommend going overboard with the newborns. I bought those as we went along. Getting into some of the bigger sizes you can start... but newborns you might end up not using as many as you think.

Keep your eyes peeled for coupons for diapers etc and stockpile those, they do come around quite frequently.
By GingerPremium member
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:00 AM
Glad to hear the Chicco is easy to install! I'm so scared we'll do it wrong, haha.

It's been ages since I've made an entry in this diary, but again, it's just because I feel nothing has really happened. I get up, I either hang out at home reading, doing yoga, watching TV, etc or go to work, come home, make dinner, feel the baby kick, snuggle, read, go to bed. It's not a very interesting life. I'm home today because it's a PD day, but I worked the rest of the week and HOLY CRAP was that ever exhausting. Getting up at 6:30 am is so rough on me, even more so now that I can easily sleep 10-12 hours with a baby growing.

I made the mistake of wearing heels (not huge ones- about 3 inches, and they were shoes that I had previously found pretty comfy) on Tuesday and by the end of the day I was almost crying in pain. Three days later, my feet/ankles/shins/calves/hips STILL ache. My back is starting to hurt every night too. I usually have to spend an hour or so lying on the hard floor in the evening to make it feel a bit better.

Last night I was talking to my mom on the phone, and she was trying to guess our name. I had previously told her it was not common in Canada/US, but it was fairly common in the UK. Well, she had made a list of about 15-20 names that she liked that she thought we would like that fit the criteria, and she read them out to me. Not only were some of my favourites on the list (Kieran, Reid), and some of our old faves that we rejected when we saw they were becoming not only trendy, but people were using them on GIRLS FFS (Finlay), but our actual name was on the list too! I didn't want to tell her and I didn't want to lie, so I went on about Finlay and Kieran and how I loved Kieran but Fiance hated it. Anyway, it does make me feel a little better that she likes our Baby Bear's name. I'm kind of worried that some people (notably Fiance's family, who can tend to be a bit close-minded) will hear our name and say, "WTF kind of name is THAT?" Then again, Fiance's brother gave his son an absolutely horrible name (imo) that I think sounds simultaneously trashy and ignorant (it's a name from another culture that they mispronounce) and they seem to love, so who knows. But I'm generally just not a fan of BIL so maybe I am judging his name choice more harshly, who knows!
By GingerPremium member
On Tue Feb 21, 2012 04:45 PM
So the past few days had been pretty good- we went to Babies R Us on Saturday to register and found our sleeping arrangement solution (mini pack and play bassinet), went for a lovely walk on Sunday afternoon at one of the waterfront parks, and yesterday I had a good day at work. Had a lovely lie-in this morning, did some yoga, watched Pride & Prejudice, finished my book, and had a snack. Fiance came home from work with the mail, and I had a package from my mom with Valentine's chocolate and a book for Baby (Mortimer board book! Perfect for a baby boy!).

I also got this letter:

www.dance.net . . .

So, the day is ending on a down note.
By GingerPremium member
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 PM
Edited by Ginger (192059) on 2012-02-23 13:23:17
Later Tuesday evening I talked to both my mom and my dad about what my grandfather said to me. My mother is furious- she told me to burn the letter, but I want to keep it in case he ever tries to backtrack and say he didn't say all the things he said. My dad was confused too, as he talks to his father 5-6 times a week, sometimes about me, and he has never mentioned anything along these lines.

I was so upset on Tuesday and I cried on and off the rest of the night. On Wednesday when I woke up my eyes were so puffy and swollen I could barely open them and I had to turn down a day of work because it was painfully obvious I'd been crying all night. That only served to piss me off even further. Right now I'm working on a letter in reply to my grandfather. I desperately want to say that it's a lot more socially acceptable these days to be born to unmarried parents than it is to be a raging bigot, but that's probably a bit too inflammatory. He is, however, not welcome at our wedding or in our child's life until he apologises for the disgusting and derogatory comments he made about my partner and our shared ethnic heritage.

Ugh. I don't need this. I thought most of the family drama would come from Fiance's side, what with his zero-communication policy with his father and the fact that nobody from his father's side of the family except his cousin is invited to the wedding or encouraged to have contact with our baby. I forgot to add, Tuesday evening I was so stressed out that I started feeling these really bad cramps that, after some Googling, I think were Braxton Hicks contractions. At the time though, I was panicked that it might be preterm labour brought on from the stress over my grandfather's letter. I am pretty sure if that was the case, my mother would have driven to his house in New York and strangled him with her bare hands. And I just might have helped. I know that is a terrible thing to say, he's my grandfather, yada yada yada, but I don't even care right now. He's a racist dick.

Edit: My mom thinks he may have had a stroke, which is affecting his judgement. If that is the case, then I take the 'racist dick' comment back. If he still has a firm grasp on all his mental capabilities, I stand by my comment.
By GingerPremium member
On Mon Feb 27, 2012 03:24 PM
We finally went out to brunch on Saturday, which we've been planning to do for about a month now but kept sleeping in too late! We went to Smitty's and I had a delicious stack of pancakes with REAL maple syrup and bacon. Fiance had 3 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausages, 2 pieces of bacon, 2 pieces of back bacon, and 2 big slices of ham. Ridiculous. We went bowling and played mini-putt with some friends on Saturday night- the bowling and mini putt place were connected, so we went bowling first and then played mini-putt. When we came out, the lobby area of the bowling lanes was PACKED with a big group of people all wearing biker jackets. So, good call on bowling first.

Yesterday we went to a wedding fair, which was nice. However, I was in SO MUCH pain all day yesterday. For the past few weeks my back has been really sore at the end of the day, to the point that the only way it can feel better for a while is to lie on the hard floor a certain way, arms a certain way, etc. But yesterday morning I was in pain from the moment I woke up. Not really my back though- more like the side of my ribs on the right, below my right boob and wrapping around to the back. It hurts again today, and I haven't done anything to strain it, so I'm guessing maybe Baby Bear has gone through a growth spurt and pushed some internal organs up in to that corner? I spent most of last night lying on the couch on my left side with alternately an ice pack and a hot bag, watching the Oscars.

Big storm predicted for tonight/tomorrow. Fiance is crossing his fingers for a snow day, since we haven't a single one (!!!! ) thus far this year.
By GingerPremium member
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 AM
Well, poor dear did not get a snow day. All the schools in the district except the ones downtown where all the kids walk were closed...of course he works at a school downtown.

I have been really busy working lately, so much so that I lied and said I was busy today because I am so exhausted I just couldn't handle waking up at 6:30am and teaching effing Core where the kids are given one worksheet (usually a wordsearch) to occupy them for an hour. Seriously? The night before last Baby Bear was using my bladder as a trampoline and I had to get up at 12:30, 2:30, 4:30, and 6:30 to pee. I know that's what it's going to be like when he finally gets here, but in that case I'm not going to have to get up for good at 6:30 and spend the day with middle schoolers. Both Monday and Tuesday I ended up taking 2-hour naps in the late afternoon/evening when I got home.

Anyway, knowing that I didn't have to get up early this morning was AWESOME last night. I slept STRAIGHT through the night for the first time in ages, didn't wake up until about 6am when I got a stupid phone call from the automatic computer system asking me to come in today. I went back to sleep and only woke up again around 7:30 when Fiance gave me a kiss goodbye. I usually wake up a bit when he gets up if I'm not working, but I slept right through it today. Woke up again at 8 and 9 with calls asking me to work, but I ignored them and went back to sleep. Slept right until noon, and it was exactly what I needed. I have a doctor's appointment later this afternoon, last time I will see my GP before I switch to an OB. Getting close! I only have 95 days left until Baby Bear is due.

Fiance was so freaking cute last night. He stopped by the mall to pick something up on his way home from work, and came home all excited about all the babies he saw there. He actually said, "Who cares about buying him dart guns, I'm going to get my little boy so many cute OUTFITS! I'm going to get him little fireman rubber boots and take him out jumping in puddles!"

Then he said that he was more excited for Baby Bear to get here than he has ever been for anything in the world, even Christmas. I love him so much and he is going to be the world's best daddy!

So the night before last (the night Baby Bear had me getting up every two hours) I had a dream where it was our wedding, and since I hadn't gotten around to booking my hair or makeup I had to do them myself. We were getting married in a church hall somewhere and the musician was an old woman at a tiny electric piano and just a small list of songs she could play, mostly hymns. Fiance is atheist and we are having a secular wedding, so hymns or religious music of any sort are completely out. Anyway, it was about 10 minutes before we were supposed to walk down the aisle and Fiance and I were there, in our dress and tux, trying to find a song to walk down the aisle to.

So, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I'm anxious about getting wedding details sorted. We went to a wedding fair the other weekend and I told myself all last week that I'd start calling vendors, but of course I didn't. I'm just having a hard time motivating myself. I know it's my wedding and all, but I just don't CARE. Now that Baby Bear is coming, the wedding and people who get worked up about planning weddings just seem so completely silly to me. Anyway, I did make hair and makeup appointments, so that's something at least. I need to work out speaker rentals, napkin rentals, favours, find myself a hair flower or fascinator, get shoes, and maybe find a musician. I kind of want a harpist, but if it's too expensive then I'm perfectly okay with crossing that off the list. We talked to a pianist at the wedding fair and I was kind of shocked to find out that he charges 550$ for the ceremont. I've sort of been picturing something in the 150$/hour range, but maybe that's totally cheap.

I also need to apply for a wedding license, since that was supposed to be Fiance's job and he hasn't done it. March Break is next week and I think we might have the legal marriage done then so I can change my name. We'll still celebrate our summer wedding as our wedding anniversary every year, though. He'll just have to also remember the March date as the date we actually got married, haha.
By GingerPremium member
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 08:00 PM
Edited by Ginger (192059) on 2012-03-11 20:03:40
On Thursday I got a text from BFF, saying she and her boyfriend were coming to my city this weekend and we should have dinner on Saturday night. I was super excited, and said yes right away. When I told Fiance, his reaction was that, oops, he had forgotten to tell me that one of his co-workers had invited him (and a bunch of other guys) over on Saturday afternoon/evening/night to drink, lift weights, watch Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, and eat manly food, and they had been planning it for ages and he really really really wanted to go.

Shortly afterwards, he mentioned to me that he had been talking with another one of our friends and they had talked about going up to the city we went to uni in (where most of his friends live) this coming weekend. We're applying for our marriage license tomorrow; depending on how they count the days we were going to get married on Friday or Saturday. Now he was saying he wanted to leave me straight after he married me...at least, that was how my pregnancy-brain interpreted it, and I started crying. It took a while to make him understand why I was upset, but when he did realise he apologised with lots of hugs and said of course he would not go up there if we got married this Friday or Saturday.

So all was good- he came home around 4am, which was 3am before daylight savings time, and I had an alarm set for 10am, and we were going to meet BFF and her BF for lunch at noon on the waterfront. I got up to pee around 9am and checked my phone and saw that I had a message from her, saying she was sorry but something had come up and they had to go back to the Island immediately and so we couldn't have lunch. Sadface. I did talk to her later today and while she didn't tell me exactly why they had to go (I asked her if everything was okay, and she said not really, but it wasn't super serious like a death in the family), things are fine apparently. I am sad I didn't get to see her though, since there are only three months left until Baby Bear is here and then only one month until our wedding.

We went for a great hike today- only about an hour, but a really nice walk along the coast with lots of scrambling over the rocks all along the shore. It's so pretty there- we're going back a few more times this week (March Break, yay!) since in a month or two I doubt I'll be able to do the trails anymore, and I'll have to bring a camera next time. Then we went for a walk around an old fort from the eighteenth century (it was closed though, so we couldn't go inside- sadface, but the trail was wide and very easy, so we can definitely take Baby Bear hiking there later).

Oh, and we got some SUPER cute stuff for Baby Bear's room- all Fiance's idea! Cute little storage boxes with bears and owls on them, some stick-on decals for his walls and a stick-on growth chart, a super cute (and thick, and HUGE) hooded bear bath towel, a little wooden coat rack, plus a couple board books and a cute onesie. Best part- it was ALL Fiance's idea! I was the one who had to drag him away from the baby section at the Superstore, not the other way around. He kept going back- "But LOOK at this hooded ducky towel! It comes with a matching ducky puppet washcloth!" and "Look at these little sneakers! He NEEDS sneakers!" Argh, I just love seeing him get so excited over our little boy. I love both my boys so much.

I just found the stroller that we had liked at Babies R Us (it's a Peg Perego Pliko, BRU has it for about 300$) on Craigslist for 50$. We have a Snap n Go to use with the carseat and were going to just use that until he outgrows the carseat and in the meantime look for a decent stroller- used or not- that we liked, but hey, if the woman gets back to me and we can get it for 50$, awesome.

Also, today was the first day of my third trimester. Only THREE MONTHS AWAY from meeting Baby Bear!

ETA: I forgot. I found out earlier in the week from a pregnancy board that I frequent that apparently morning sickness sometimes returns in third tri. On Friday Fiance and I went out to dinner at Montana's to celebrate the start of March Break. I had a chipotle chicken burger, which I thought was delicious. Baby Bear disagreed, and I puked the whole thing up about fifteen minutes after we got home. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't come back with the same vengeance as in the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy!
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 08:09 PM
I had a few random spats of morning sickness throughout pregnancy.... fingers crossed that it doesn't come back for you. I found it was if kiddo grew that it would be there again.

Joe does have some cute kids stuff and it's good quality... hard to resist...
By GingerPremium member
On Tue Mar 13, 2012 03:45 PM
I was really happy with the Joe stuff we saw...pretty cheap prices (5$ onesies, 6$ sleepers yes please!) and it looked like much higher quality than the stuff you get at Walmart. Baby Bear has a ton of stuff in tiny sizes for summer right now, but when fall/winter rolls around and he's a bit bigger we'll definitely be making a few trips to get him some things!

Yesterday was absolutely GORGEOUS out. It was something like 10 degrees, and after we applied for the marriage license (sadface, it won't be ready till next Monday, so that means we can't get married until next weekend) we went downtown and walked along the waterfront. Tons of people were out, uni students in shorts and t-shirts, moms with little kids playing on the playground...made us so excited for Baby Bear to get here! On the waterfront we found out that the Tall Ships are coming here this summer- they come every 4 years I think, and I haven't seen them since 2000 (I was working at camp in 2004, and backpacking by myself in 2008- can't believe it was that long ago!) but we are totally bringing Baby Bear this summer. I know he will likely sleep in his carrier the whole time, but I love the idea of showing him all the ships.

We went to bring our tax stuff to H&R Block the other day...I thought it would be pretty straightforward and I was just being lazy, but it turns out ours were actually pretty complicated and there is no way I would have figured it out on my own. First of all, we had to file together as a common-law couple (don't know why I didn't think of that on my own, duh). Then it turned out we actually had to file as immigrants, since we had been non-residents of Canada for a while. Thank God we arrived in the country after July 2, because otherwise we would have had to provide all our financial information for income earned in the UK. Not cool! Luckily, all is sorted for us I think. I'm getting about 300$ back and Fiance gets about 1500$ back (his income has been greater than mine since getting back, plus he has a big student loan he's been paying off). I've already planned what I'm going to get with my tax return- I'm going to get myself a nice diaper bag (this one, this one, or this one), and these amazing baby blankets. They are two things that I've had on my 'want for baby' list for a loooong time, and I know that high quality things will last longer, but I've been having a hard time justifying spending 50$ on four baby blankets and getting a more expensive diaper bag. I don't want one that looks like a diaper bag, and I really like all three of the ones that I'm deciding between, so I figure this is a good compromise between getting something for myself and buying myself something pretty that I don't really need- I'll be getting a nicer, prettier version of something that I DO need, and something that isn't really for myself, so win-win!

Went to the mall today with Fiance and got an adorable baby bear hat for Baby Bear, and we got him an abacus! I've wanted the wooden Melissa & Doug one for a while, and I found it at Winners today for only 10$. They had tons of Melissa & Doug stuff there actually, and I wanted to get him tons more, but managed to restrain myself. I've been looking for a cute spring dress, and maybe a lightweight spring jacket, for myself but had no luck. I tried H&M, Old Navy, Motherhood, and Thyme Maternity and came up empty. The only 'spring' dresses the stores had were all in dark colours- black, navy, grey, etc. That's not SPRING! What happened to pink and yellow and light green and bright florals? Off to patrol the Internet in search of a cute maternity spring dress...
By GingerPremium member
On Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:00 PM
I found a dress last night! It's a pretty bright turquoise colour, stretch jersey that you can wear before/after Baby is born, PLUS it is sort of a combo maternity/nursing dress since there is easy access to the boobs. So I can probably also wear it to a few of the 5 weddings we have to go to this summer/fall when I will be nursing my newborn Baby Bear. I've already got a case of Martyr Mom syndrome, where I can't justify buying a single new or pretty thing for myself unless I REALLY, REALLY need it, because there are just so many things that my (as yet unborn) child needs or wants.

I would also like to add that this March Break is awesome. For the last two years, every time we've had a school break Fiance and I have gone travelling somewhere. I love travelling, but I also love snuggling till noon and spending the whole day just doing stuff with him. Even if it's cleaning the apartment, like we're doing today.
By BusyIzzy
On Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 AM
Long time lurker here, just coming out to wish you all the best for your wedding and the rest of your pregnancy :)

I'm also sending positive vibes that your morning sickness doesn't come back!
By GingerPremium member
On Sun Mar 18, 2012 03:54 PM
Thanks BusyIzzy! I have felt a bit nauseous on and off but no more puking, so I shall count that as a win!

Today was another really nice day out, so we went for another walk along the coast. Just as we were starting out I got this intense, stabbing pain on the right side of my ribs and had to sit down on some rocks. He was moving around and kicked me in the ribs once or twice, but this pain was a lot more than just one of his kicks. I'm guessing he probably kicked a nerve or something to trigger it. I sat down for a few minutes on some rocks before getting back up again, and luckily it didn't happen again. I think the little guy was lulled asleep by the movement. He goes absolutely crazy in there sometimes. It was a very nice hike though, although I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do stuff like that. I had to stop and catch my breath on uphills and since it's right along the coast it is very rocky so I had to be careful of my footing. We have checked out a few wide, flat trails that we can try when I'm further on (28 weeks today...exactly 12 weeks left till he is due!)

We had to go back to H&R Block yesterday so Fiance could finish his taxes from 2009 (we were gone in England half the year- my mom filed on my behalf while we were gone, his didn't, so he had to do it now) and so were sitting down waiting for 45 minutes (ironically, we had an appointment this time and still had to wait 45 minutes, while last time we were a walk-in and were seen straight away) and then sitting down while the woman sorted everything out for another half hour or so. Baby Bear woke up halfway through the wait and holy crap, was he ever moving around. Kicking, punching, headbutting, rolling, flipping, etc etc etc. He went from jumping on my cervix to kicking me in the ribs in the space of a couple minutes. Usually if I get up and walk around a bit he settles down, but that was not an option, so I was extremely uncomfortable throughout our 30 minute session with the H&R Block woman. If his outside personality is anything like his in utero personality, we are in for many, many years of chasing around a hyperactive little boy.

Back to work tomorrow...sadface. I am working the first three days back at the same school I was at before the break, then on Thursday is my first OB appointment. Fiance has a bunch of marking to do, and in true Fiance-style he left it all until today. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday we did little except hang out at home, but of course there were video games and computer games that urgently needed to be played, so the marking was put aside until today.

On a very exciting note, I am pretty sure that I got him to agree today that we would use my #1 favourite girl name for our second daughter (our first daughter's name is already picked out, and I love it too, but I love this name a teensy bit more). Now I just need to somehow make sure that our next two are girls, haha.
By GingerPremium member
On Fri Mar 23, 2012 02:21 PM
Guess how long I was at the hospital yesterday. THREE AND A HALF FREAKING HOURS. My appointment was at 8:30, so Fiance dropped me off on his way to work (his school is right across the street from the hospital). It was my first appointment with the new OB, so I wasn't finished until 9:45. Then they sent me down to the blood lab to do the 1-hour glucose test. Luckily I had a book with me, so I chugged the drink and sat there until 11, when they drew blood. Then I had to go back up to the OB and sat in a room for about 25 minutes, waiting for a nurse to come and give me the Rhogam shot since I have O- blood. Then I had to wait for 15 minutes before I could get up and make my next appointment in two weeks. It was almost noon before I left.

It was so hot out yesterday that I stayed downtown all afternoon- went down to the waterfront and got a hot dog from a vendor, found a shady spot and read my book for a while. Then I walked up to the shopping area and looked for a cute pair of flat slip-on shoes that I can wear throughout the spring and summer before catching the bus home. It was seriously so effing hot that I was really uncomfortable. It was something like 25 degrees out, which is absolutely unheard of this time of year. Not only is it the highest temperature ever recorded on this day in March, but it's also higher than any other recorded temperature in April in this area. It's a much more reasonable 6 degrees today, and it's supposed to get down to -4 tonight, so yay for that. I'm one of those people who actually likes winter, so I hate these unseasonably warm temperatures.

It has, however, made me realise I need more spring/summer maternity tops, so I found a woman in my local swap/buy group getting rid of some short sleeve maternity tops and we are going to go pick them up when Fiance gets home. I didn't work today and was so exhausted from my busy week that I seriously slept for twelve hours (midnight to noon). Not twelve hours straight, of course- Baby Bear saw to it that I woke up every 2-3 hours to pee- but it was awesome.

I am almost 29 weeks and feel like such a huge cow, but at the doctor yesterday she told me I was actually measuring a tiny bit on the small side. Still in the range of normal/average, but a bit on the smaller side of average. Which, luckily, means that the chances of me having a 9- or 10-pound baby are verrrrry small. I can still fit in some of my pre-preg pants with a zipper fly- granted, not my old skinny jeans, but any pants that were a bit loose-fitting before I got pregnant I can still wear, as long as they ride low. So on one hand I feel fat every time I step on the scale and see the numbers going up (even though yes, I know that it is all for the good of my child, and I would never ever try to diet or restrict food or anything like that when I am pregnant, but I'm not going to lie and say that it's easy to see the numbers go up), but on the other hand I can still fit into a size two with no problems, so that makes me hopeful that I can bounce back to a normal body after the birth. After all, I'm going to have to fit into a wedding gown bought for my pre-preg body about one month post partum....

And on that note, I would like to add that as long as our witnesses come through, we are going to be getting the legal bit taken care of tomorrow! At 12:30 we are going to be legally married and I can start to change my name. Not exchanging rings (that will happen at our wedding this summer), but I'll be a wife!!!!! Exciting!!!!!!
By GingerPremium member
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 PM
So...I'm married :). Hereafter Fiance shall be known as DH, Hubby, Hubs, etc.

Whole thing was really low-key. We went to a JOP's house with two friends of ours and had just a bare-bones legal ceremony. Then we went out to lunch with our friends, then came home and changed our clothes and went for a walk along the shore at a provincial park nearby. For dinner we had tacos and a little cake from the grocery store (Hubster has always wanted a Superstore cake for our wedding cake...which our venue doesn't allow, but he got what he wanted for our marriage!). On Wednesday I'm going to get started with changing my name.

It's exciting, but it doesn't feel 'real' or anything. I mean, thus far being married doesn't feel any different. Maybe it'll feel different after our wedding. Speaking of, I need to email our JOP we're getting for the wedding and explain to her that we are now legally married, so our wedding will really be more of a vow renewal with ring exchange. I also want to order our wedding favours. I think we're going with personalised M&Ms (and my mom really wants to have place cards in silver picture frames, so that'll be a take-home favour too).

I'm kind of more excited about the fact that I ordered my diaper bag and an adorable tuxedo onesie for Baby Bear to wear at the wedding than I am over the fact that I am now a Mrs.
By GingerPremium member
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 06:09 PM
Name is officially changed :). I signed my name for the first time on my ID card, and when I got it I excitedly showed Hubs. His response? "The 'c' goes up top, not bottom." (We have a McLastname, and he writes the Mc part with the 'c' at the top, not on the line the way it shows up when typed.)

Last few days have been busy but good. Next week is busy-ish (for us, at least)- first of the free parenting classes on Monday evening; on Tuesday evening I start my new homebound tutoring job, tutoring a girl through the school board (she had back surgery and will be out of school until the end of the year); Thursday I have an OB appointment in the morning/tutoring in the afternoon/3D ultrasound appt in the evening/my mom's flight gets in at 10pm. Then my mom is here until Monday late in the afternoon, when she flies back to Ontario.

My kid is not even born yet and he is already driving me crazy, haha. He moves CONSTANTLY. He used to be super active in the morning and evening/night, but much quieter during the day- yeah, that's stopped. He moves all day long now. Apparently he takes after his dad with an enthusiasm for martial arts, because last night when I was sitting on the couch he threw a few quick, sharp kicks directly to my ribs that were so hard I yelped in pain. And if there is a cure for fetal hiccups, I would LOVE to know...because his, combined with his usual repertoire of kicks and punches, kept me up for almost an hour and a half last night. Had an hour-and-a-half long nap this afternoon/early evening, until DH woke me up because he was hungry :eyeroll:.

Last night lay down to cuddle and ended up sleeping for almost 2 hours- almost 8:30 when we woke up, so I threw a pizza in the oven while DH stayed in bed. It took him an hour to get up, even though I kept popping in, reminding him to at least take out his contacts, telling him the pizza was ready, telling him the pizza was getting cold, etc etc. He is so grouchy when he wakes up from naps! He snapped at me every time I went in to say something to him until he heard me throwing up in the bathroom (lovely 3rd tri 'morning' sickness is back- I felt icky when I woke up so no pizza for me, which was a good choice as crackers are a lot easier on the oesophagus coming up) and he felt bad. I've been working all week, so I've been taking the Diclectin so I don't get sick while I am working, but tomorrow is a PD day here so I will go without and see if I can make it through the day without getting sick. Crossing my fingers.
By GingerPremium member
On Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 PM
Freaky freaky freaky dreams the past few nights. Saturday night I dreamt that DH got arrested for selling government secrets (it's been a big story on the news here lately, a guy was arrested for selling military secrets). Then last night I dreamt that this baby was a teenage boy, and I had a daughter a few years younger, and she was raped and her older brother (this baby) beat the guy who did it so badly he was arrested. I woke up both times nearly in tears.

Hubs' grandmother died over the weekend. She was very sick and unhappy and it was probably for the best. She was diagnosed with cancer about two years ago now and declined treatment for a long time (she's EXTREMELY religious and figured God would take care of her). The past year she had become very paranoid and had cut off contact with her grandson (DH's brother- he lives next door, borrowed their lawn mower one day with their permission, and she thought he had stolen it and refused to let him explain that she had let him borrow it), and all but one of her children (again, thought they were all either trying to steal from her or trying to kill her). DH's grandfather had a stroke a couple years ago while shovelling snow off their roof and had dementia brought on by that, so it was the two of them at home for over a year, in and out of the hospital, refusing any help with cooking/cleaning/shopping/anything from either a nurse through community support groups or even through family members. Even after they got in a bad car accident (rolled the car on a straight stretch of road) they refused help. Apparently DH's grandfather wanted to see her one last time before he went to the nursing home after she was admitted to the hospital for the last time, and she wouldn't allow him to see her because she thought he was trying to kill her too. He was taken to the nursing home without seeing her and she died the next day. Now he's refusing to believe that she's dead. I just think that the whole situation is so, so sad. I don't care how this sounds, but I know I want my body to go before my mind. I don't want my last moments on earth to be as unhappy as DH's grandmother's and I definitely don't want to cause as much pain and suffering to my family as she did. The past two years have been so hard on DH's mom (and I'm guessing her brothers and sisters as well, although I've never met any of them).

Anyway, the funeral is this coming Friday. Unfortunately my mom is flying out on Thursday night to spend Easter weekend with us, so that combined with the fact that the funeral is a six hour drive away (not fun for a pregnant woman) means that just DH is going while I stay with my mom. He'll leave Friday morning, go to the funeral on Friday, then visit his friends in a nearby city on Saturday and buy suits for all of their weddings this summer (there are about 5 weddings we have to go to this summer, plus our own- DH has two of his best friends in our wedding, and he is then in their weddings later in the summer, so they're all just planning to get the same suit and wear it to all the weddings). He'll come back Saturday night or Sunday morning.

I am 3/4 done being pregnant and cannot WAIT until I am done. I am so over this! Although it is pretty cool to see Baby Bear's little knees and elbows and feet poking out of my belly (well, you can sort of start to see the outlines of them, at least!).
Page:
Page 3 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch