Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
That one book you could read over and over again...
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 01:29 AM

We all have one.

What's yours, and why?

Mine is Perks of Being a Wallflower. I was recomended it by a friend and when I saw a copy online for $4 delivered, I thought why not!

My copy is pretty much destroyed...pages been turned too much, cover folded back, water damage from when I spilt a drink on it while reading in the hammock.

I love it though. There are so many one-off quotes that seem to really stick in my mind, and I relate to in my own life. I relate to the main character in many ways, and it deals with a lot of sensitive issues that are mostly kept hush hush when I was growing up, but did actually happen in peoples lives.

Anyone else read it?

What are your books you would read over and over again? I need to find some new obsessions :)

27 Replies to That one book you could read over and over again...

re: That one book you could read over and over again...
By kandykanePremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 01:45 AM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-10-26 02:07:25
Gone With The Wind. My son gave me a new copy last year because my old one had literally fallen apart. In fact, I just started reading it again last night for the umpteenth time. I have other re-read favorites but GWTW is my go-to.

Forgot to say why. Idk, American Civil War era stuff is just fascinating to me. Love it all. And GWTW is a classic.

kk~
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 02:03 AM
High Fidelity. I see way too much of myself in Rob, Dick AND Barry, and I can always rely on High Fidelity to make me laugh. If I can't think of anything to read, I just read High Fidelity because it's a sure thing.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 02:37 AM
Norwegian Wood. I love the way Murakami writes, and I really identify with Naoko. I read it at a particularly apt time in my life, and have just loved it ever since.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 02:46 AM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2011-10-26 02:46:57
Atonement by Ian McEwan. It's beautiful, the writing is beautiful, the way he chooses to end it is beautiful. The main character, Briony, is compelling, but her sister Cecilia is the one who I relate to. I read it every six months or so, and I bought a French and a Spanish translation too. I once let a boyfriend borrow my copy and never got it back after the breakup, and one of my friends called every secondhand bookstore in the city for months to find me another copy that wasn't the movie tie-in edition, and I cried when she gave it to me.
By LoriCook
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 03:35 AM
I second Gone With The Wind and add to it Roots by Alex Haley. I always read the two books back to back.
By mandakp
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 04:11 AM
Daughter of the Forest, by Juliet Marillier. The story is just so beautiful, and the writing style is too! I have read that book so many times, it's one of my all time favourites!
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:02 AM
Pride and Prejudice. I just love it. I love all the characters, I love the story, and I love getting a glimpse into what life might have been like if I'd lived in England in the early 19th century.
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:05 AM
It's too hard to name just one. GWTW was my go to book when I was younger, now...

Harry Potter....any and all
Animal Farm
The Bible
White Oleander

There are more, but for now, I guess this is 5x more than I should have posted !!

Keep On Dancing*
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:15 AM
The Alchemist, its just a good story and sometimes I need to remind myself about what is important in life.
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 AM
SUCH a hard question.
But...
Girl with a Pearl earring by Tracy Chevalier and Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers.
re: That one book you could read over and over again... (karma: 1)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 AM
Oy, I don't have time to read. I should make time to read! If I did, I would pick up Watership Down. I've read that book probably four times and would definitely read it again. Or maybe The Hobbit...
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:51 AM
A Wrinkle in Time. It's so good and such a short read that I can easily finish it in a day and I always love the adventure.

About to re-read The Hobbit for the first time since I read it originally. Can totally see myself re-reading it a few times.

Harry Potter. I know it's ridiculous but I've read the series all the way through since the last one came about about 5 times and every time I seem to catch something new.
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:18 AM
I don't know how I could have forgotten A Lesson Before Dying, by Earnest Gaines.

or...Watership Down...thanks d4j for reminding me.

To Kill A Mocking Bird

Huckleberry Finn

oh...there are just too many to pick one!

Keep On Dancing*
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 01:32 PM
Homecoming. I read it every time I am down and it lets me know that if she can make it through that, I can make it through anything as well. It is one of the few books that I can read over and over. Usually I get bored reading books a second time.
By Sumayah
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 01:44 PM
Anne of Green Gables. <3
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 02:02 PM
I just reread A Wrinkle in Time and A Wind in the Door. I didn't love them as much as I did when I was a kid. I don't remember them being so uber-preachy.

I have a book called Interpreting Bodies that's a collection of essays about the nature of identity written by physicists. I'm not sure whether I reread it because I love it or because I don't understand it.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
By CaffeinePremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 07:00 PM
It's too hard to pick just one! I have a couple of cozy favourites I read and read and read - they're like comfort food for the mind.

My go-to-book always used to be The Lord of the Rings. I still adore it, but a lot of the fun and magic of the book got sucked out by endless analysis on a Tolkien messageboard. :\

Gone With the Wind - definitely ranks up there. I have two copies of it: my own (falling apart courtesy of cheap bookbinding) and my mum's battered and held-together-with-tape copy with stills from the movie and printing errors. (the sequel sucked, though)

Little Women and pretty much anything by Jane Austen.

While I do like other genres, my favourites to go back to again and again are epic-fantasy and historical - I love the magic and escapism of the cozy, old-fashioned lives, bucolic landscapes, and simplicity of it all; they're balm against the abrasive modern world, and I can get lost in them for hours...
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 07:27 PM
Edited by Natasha (117833) on 2011-10-26 19:29:18 addeddddd
Edited by Natasha (117833) on 2011-10-26 19:31:13 would help if i could spell.
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.

I think, up to date, I have read it about 12 times.

Never gets old, and always makes me laugh and cry, even though I know it practically by heart.

Panic, I own a copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and have picked it up and tried to read it but somehow never get that far in it. Normally I can read anything and everything but for some reason that one just doesn't work for me! It frustrates me because most people I know loved it.
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:18 PM
Neverending Story. I've read it easily 50x, and will probably read it another 50 more before I'm 30.
On Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:54 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2011-10-26 21:56:03 typo
Natasha wrote:

Panic, I own a copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and have picked it up and tried to read it but somehow never get that far in it. Normally I can read anything and everything but for some reason that one just doesn't work for me! It frustrates me because most people I know loved it.

I read The Hitchhikers Guide,Life the Universe and Everything, and The Restaurant at the end of the Universe one spring, then re-read them all again over the summer, and when I tried to read them again it was like I'd never read them. For some reason, my brain refuses to remember them and I get all three mixed up.

This is very unlike me...I still remember my first locker combination in Jr. High school. Locker #158, 3-35-32. I must have some odd mental block against poor Doug Adams

Keep On Dancing*
By bethnee_rose
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 04:35 AM
Ooooh I have so many!

Probably Little Woman would be at the top, I don't even know how many times I have read that book!

The Harry Potter books

The Earths Children series

Those are the ones that I seem to read and re read!

Also I have a series of books that I don't read anymore, but I just can't throw away and don't think I ever will! I loved them SO MUCH as a child, and think from time to time about giving them away but they are such a highlight from my childhood I just can't!! They are the Mallory Towers (Spelling?) by Enid Blyton. I just adored them and wished so hard that I could go to a boarding school like them haha!
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 04:08 PM
Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta. I still cry every time I read it. On the Jellicoe Road by the same author is a close second.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 04:31 PM
I second Little Women.

Also any of the Bronte Sisters work.

Alice Seebold and Kathy Reichs also top the list.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 05:12 PM
Little Women. I reread that book probably twice a year. It's such a comfort to me.

The Harry Potter books I reread constantly as well. Also I'm currently on my second read of the Hunger Games.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch