Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
Are your kids scared of santa? en>fr fr>en
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7007, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 02:35 AM

I am working a christmas elf over the summer while I am on university break.

Sometimes I am behind the camera taking photos, but more commonly i am greeting people, taking kids names, introducing them to santa, trying to make them smile, giving out stickers and candy etc.

Hands down the best summer job EVER. The kids are way cool and I get to be silly and wear pointy shoes, but anyway.

Does anyone have a kid that is afraid of santa? One of my jobs is to go down the line and try to convince any little ones that aren't too sold on the idea of this fat stranger in a red suit .

I thought I might turn to the parents of DDN to see if you had any 'santa friendly' advice?

21 Replies to Are your kids scared of santa?

re: Are your kids scared of santa? en>fr fr>en
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16117, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 07:27 AM
OMG, my girl wanted NOTHING to do with Santa when she was little. I got a pic when she was a baby but from the age of 18 months to about five years, there was no way, no how she was going to sit on Santa's lap. I compromised by doing family group photos and we would all crowd around Santa with me holding her close and she still did not like it much.

Don't force it if they really don't want to sit on Santa's lap. Really, it's not worth upsetting the kid to get Mom her photo. Of course, it would help if Mom realized this fact. ;) If the mom insists, suggest the family join in on the photo op to keep little one from being scared. Keep it quick and give the kid his/her candy anyway. Smile and wave and send them on.

kk~
By Queen_Jojo Comments: 4947, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 07:37 PM
All of mine hated Santa! Have to agree with ^KK. It seems between about 18 months and 5 years kids just seem terrified of Santa. Personally I think it's the beard, or the fact you can't really see his face.
Over here in the UK kids aren't allowed to sit on Santa's lap anymore, so they don't get too close to him. (I'm talking about in stores and shopping malls rather than private events).
Be interesting to see if anyone's kids actually like Santa close up!

The only advice I can give is just be jolly and happy with the scared kids and tell them it's ok if they don't want to get close to him. Good luck being an elf!

Queenie xx
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6118, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 07:50 PM
You should read, The Santa Land Diaries, by David Sedaris.

It is so funny and perhaps the darkest of all, "Christmas Literature".

The author recounts his experiences as Krumpet, the elf, at Macy's Santaland.

I think you can hunt up some of the excerpts on NPR. I tried to find some to link here, but tonight just isn't my night for computer success.

I hope you love your job. I'd love to just once, write "ELF" on a form that asks for my "occupation".

Keep On Dancing*
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:13 PM
I was an elf for two years while at uni. It was a great job, except for the fact that the owners of the company were very shady.

Elijah is very wary of Santa. We have to got visit Santa several times before he's ready to get the photo taken. Every time we get closer and closer to Santa. Hopefully this year, he'll be able to go see Santa straight up without the weeks of prep.

I think the best thing to do is tell the parents not to push the child but to make frequent visits so that Santa isn't a "stranger" to the child.

Helen
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6373, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:23 PM
I hope you love your job. I'd love to just once, write "ELF" on a form that asks for my "occupation".

I have a friend who was an elf...partially because he was Jewish and therefore always available when other people wanted to be with family. The first time I saw him wear his elf suit, i was like...um...why do you even have that!?!?
By Tishwah Comments: 409, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 03:26 AM
I have been an elf, though the worst part was the company demanded we wear their uniform only, so we got told off when we wore santa hats! We used to tell the parents who had terrified kids to come past Santa lots to get the kids used to him, wave from a distance for a while, stand in line and get closer and closer, finally meet santa but not sit on his lap, finally get the photo. And hey, some parents actually want the terrified photos ;)

I don't blame the kids, we spent all year telling them not to talk to strangers and then suddenly once a year we thrust them into the lap of a strange man in a beard and glasses wearing a bright red weird suit.
By Laurannemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 257, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 08:30 AM
I don't have kids so I hope it's ok for me to reply to this thread.

I used to be terrorized by "Saint Nicolas" (kind of like Santa in the US). I don't think anybody could have done anything to make me feel better. I agree with Helen on not to push the child.
By reelycutemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1194, member since Tue May 31, 2005
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 09:30 AM
up to the age of 2 Jack was fine with santa sat on his knee and got his prezzie/photo no problem, last year though at the age of 3 he hated the idea would not go near him at all in the end he agreed if i sat with him but we were on another chair about 2 foot away from santa lol! i dont know how he will be this year hopefully he will be grand as he has his little bro to sit with him now :)

the key is to not push them as it will only scare them more :)

xxx
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7007, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:52 PM
Thanks guys!

Y'all sound far more reasonable than some of the parents I've had to deal with so far. We had a little boy of 4 years old who was screaming blue murder anytime he saw Santa, but his mom would not step aside; she wanted that photo at any cost. She put all the stage mums I've met in my lifetime to shame, crazy lady.

I felt so bad for the kid. I gave him some candy and almost a whole sheet of stickers afterwards to try an take the edge of the trauma. He could not get away fast enough. LOL. The photo itself was hilarious. The photographer got him in the middle of crying fits, looking like a stunned mullet.
By Pinkbubble Comments: 72, member since Fri Apr 29, 2011
On Fri Nov 25, 2011 05:01 PM
The four year old I nanny for was scared of Santa. We didn't go and see him in person, but last Christmas he was very worried about this someone he didn't know going into his house when he was asleep. It got so bad we ended up just telling him it was just pretend, no one was actually comming.
By Emi89member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 838, member since Wed Jan 16, 2008
On Sat Nov 26, 2011 05:57 AM
i think its a common thing... as someone above said, its all no talking to strangers and then once a year it's here sit in this strange mans lap.

i agree with the suggestion to walk around and get closer suggestion then its more on the kids own terms.
talk to them about santa, read books watch movies etc to get them used to the idea of the man with the beard and the red suit.

maybe suggest they come when its not so busy (early or late i'd guess) maybe santa can talk and introduce himself from afar "hi little ..... i'm santa whats your name?" make sure mum talks about how lovely he is and how much she liked to visit him when she was little etc
maybe get him to invite the child to shake his hand or have a quick hug so its less like they've just been plonked in his lap with no escape.

maybe even a picture next to santa (standing beside the chair... possibly with his arm round them) or having mum crouch down and the child sit on her knee next to santa.

or if the child seems ok with the elf, after the contact with them in the line, and is willing to take his/her hand and go a bit closer to santa thats also an option (more in keeping with the theme i spose too ;) )
By Emi89member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 838, member since Wed Jan 16, 2008
On Sat Nov 26, 2011 06:01 AM
forgot to add... i work in a nursery and went into the youngest room (up to walking/1 year) and had a little one plonked in my lap to hold while someone popped out as they'd been sitting with her (she was about a year +) she screamed and screamed... because there was no introduction at all.

after she'd seen me a few times and realised she got picked up and cuddled each time she suddenly became my best friend and will go to me over anyone else if she sees me.

make sure theres time for introduction/walking by and waving etc
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16203, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Nov 26, 2011 06:07 AM
I was never scared of Santa. I don't know if it is because I lived in a rather small town in the midwest where it wasn't really beat into my head that strangers were bad. In most social settings where my parents took us everybody sort of knew everyone else. I can't think of one kidnapping case or missing child the whole time I grew up. My mom said my brothers weren't scared of Santa either.
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10099, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sat Nov 26, 2011 07:56 AM
My daughter was never scared of Santa, just thought he was strange. She never really believed in him or the tooth fairy and we never bothered with the whole Easter bunny thing- she was too smart for all of that stuff. She just thinks its strange that people dress up as him as all, like silly strange lol. She still sits on his lap and gets her picture.
By hhalford8990 Comments: 28, member since Thu Dec 22, 2011
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 09:52 PM
My daughter just turned one a few days ago. She was three days old the first time she saw Santa Claus last year. She slept right through it. This year, she did not like it. She cried a tiny bit but she had that "I'm about to cry" frown the whole time. The one picture we did get of her, she looks very serious. Think of the painting "American Gothic". The old man with the pitch fork and his daughter. That is how serious she looked.
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 753, member since Sat Apr 05, 2008
On Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:37 PM
hhalford8990 wrote:

My daughter just turned one a few days ago. She was three days old the first time she saw Santa Claus last year. She slept right through it. This year, she did not like it. She cried a tiny bit but she had that "I'm about to cry" frown the whole time. The one picture we did get of her, she looks very serious. Think of the painting "American Gothic". The old man with the pitch fork and his daughter. That is how serious she looked.

Hehe, is it something like mine? Oh well, at least she isn't crying! (BTW, pretty sure American Gothic is a man and wife.)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 2902, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sun Dec 25, 2011 08:48 PM
No kids, but we were talking about this on Christmas Eve with family, as one cousin has a toddler and another cousin has the coolest job in the world actually BEING Santa and going out to private parties.

Being scared of Santa seems quite common.

Apparently what some of the Santa photo places around here do when the kids are too scared of the Man in Red (and the parents have already paid for the shot) is photoshop them in -presumably with greenscreen and a stock Santa shot. I never saw one of the photoshopped pics as BabyCousin didn't get her photo taken, but it seems like a nifty idea.
By rach_babesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1648, member since Thu Apr 29, 2004
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 02:04 PM
My little one is 15months and she doesn't like Santa, if you ask her if she wants to go see Santa all you get is no Santa no Santa. When she sees him in person or teddy she clings to you shouting no santa. At nursery Xmas party Santa came she clung to me turned her head away from him and held her ARM out to collect present without looking at him.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6249, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:45 PM
We never had a "Santa Problem" with our kids and my grandson's are all OK with him.

The #1 grandson, age 8 is probably onto him, but won't let on because of his younger brother.

My #3 grandson recently wonders why Santa and the rest of us used the same gift paper. I guess he hasn't noticed that Santa and his mom/grandma have the same handwritings.

Jon
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33905, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Dec 29, 2011 04:11 PM
We've come full circle. We went from "Eh, I don't really mind the guy..." to "NONONONONONONO!" to "OMG, Would you get a load of that guy?! That's the craziest thing I've ever seen!"

We had to get Jim in the picture last year just to make it happen, this year the picture just screams "I've got the giggles!"
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7693, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Thu Dec 29, 2011 08:44 PM
Teresa wasn't overly fond of Santa this year... poor child.

ReplySendWatch