Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Epidurals and pain lingering afterwards
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 08:17 PM
Edited by LlamaLlamaDuck (113868) on 2011-10-28 20:29:19

I am 16 months post partum... but really just a curiousity...

I still have pain locally where I had my epidural, and it's only worsened lately. It's a really strange deep pain, that I can't really explain, but it can't be heated out or iced out (ice makes it far worse), and no painkiller works either.

I also noticed that my epi was placed fairly high. Mine was placed into my lower thoracics rather than into my lumbars.

Anyone else have issues like this?

10 Replies to Epidurals and pain lingering afterwards

re: Epidurals and pain lingering afterwards
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 08:40 PM
No advice, but my aunt had my youngest cousin 8 years ago and she still has daily pain in her back from the epidural. She's gone to the best doctors in the country, they have no advice for her. So, you're not alone. Hugs.
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 08:51 PM
They really had a hell of a time getting mine in... they had me in 2 different positions... I swear he poked me about 10-15 times, froze the living crap out of me, and finally resorted to using an ultrasound to figure out where to put it.
By ChristinePremium member
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 PM
Is it possible that scar tissue is developing around the injection site?

I didn't have any medication when birthing my kids because when I researched the options I was more terrified of the "small, small percentage of...." and somehow lived to tell the tale. I do remember reading that epidurals can sometimes cause problems years after administration.

I bet an ultra sound might show if something like that was going on. I'm sorry you are having trouble like this. It might explain some of your other mysterious symptoms lately.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. You have enough to deal with already.

Keep On Dancing*
By Helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 05:27 AM
I only had mine 4 months ago but the doctor told me that I could have lingering numbness/pain in the area on and off for life because after all it is in your spine.

I sometimes sit or lie funny and feel like the area is bruised but its not.

Helen
By ShandaLeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 08:31 AM
I didn't have an epidural with either of my labors, but I had a spinal tap test thing done when I was 14, so about 8 years ago. To this day I still know where the procedure was done. I don't know if I just got used to the pain because it doesn't hurt hurt, but yet I can feel..something.. Lol. (Sorry I just got off night shift..It's bedtime)
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 01:08 PM
It definately seems to be cold that sets it off, though nothing gives it relief.

I went swimming again today and as soon as I got in the water it started, used to be that water relieved my back.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 07:06 PM
It'll be 8 years, soon, and I still have pain at the injection site from time to time. It's not like full-on pain, but more like serious aching twinge.
On Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:54 AM
Mine has now been consistant for the last 3 weeks and seems to be getting worse, there is no relief... Ice/heat, cryoderm (gives me some relief for a couple of hours), advil, tylenol, robaxacet, aleeve.

It's also very tender over the area.

I might get the doctor to send me for an x ray or ultrasound just to make sure that there wasn't something left there.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 09, 2011 01:26 PM
Hugs to all of you. That sounds awful :( I know my aunt has said many times that she wishes she'd declined it...even the most painful labor wouldn't have been worth the long-term side effects :(
On Wed Nov 09, 2011 04:30 PM
Ya I definately won't be getting it for any subsequent pregnancies...

It is gradually getting worse, it kinda feels like the ache when freezing starts to come out, there is no numbness over the area though. It's hard to explain, but it was enough to make me want to vomit earlier today.

ReplySendWatch