Forum: Photos

Our freaky snowstorm here in Pa
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 03:26 PM

My daughter is not happy camper right now because we were supposed to babysit Valya, and Valya's cousin, so they can go to their friend's Halloween party.

Well, forget that because she can't get up to our house. Even the snow plows are having trouble. It's a heavy, wet snow, we have no electricity (thank goodness for our generator) and many trees are down.

I even had to push a tree out of the way with my car, just enough to get past it, or I would not be home right now.

So, here are a few peeks at this early snow, before Halloween, that has not happened since 1979.

21 Replies to Our freaky snowstorm here in Pa

re: Our freaky snowstorm here in Pa
By hummingbird
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 03:37 PM
We had the same wet snow here this morning too.

This is late for us though, we normally have our first dump about two weeks before Halloween.
By RosePremium member
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 03:51 PM
Today I worked in the garden because we had some nice sunshine. (Rub it in Lidwina, rub it in. :D )
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 03:53 PM
lidwina wrote:

Today I worked in the garden because we had some nice sunshine. (Rub it in Lidwina, rub it in. :D )

I am sending you the evil eye!
By RosePremium member
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 03:58 PM
Edited by lidwina (172256) on 2011-10-29 16:05:13
:D
By MissSharon73
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 04:53 PM
Same here hon :( I just took a pic on my deck with a ruler and it is up to 9.25" already. Well, that was 20 minutes ago at 6:30pm, so it's probably 9.5" by now :O

My hubby left around 2pm to drive what normally takes 25 minutes and it took over an hour. He plows with some friends and they are not going out until 10pm (they plow residential drives/lots) and he didn't want to get stuck by us. When he left we already had about 6 inches and they only had 2...

Niko's B-Day party had to be postponed as a result of this and he was not a happy camper either :( Hopefully my family can all make it tomorrow?! They travel over an hour north to get here on a normal day and my brother has been without power for hours already...

This time next week, I'll be in Disney!! That's what's getting me through this with 2 little anxious and wound up boys :O

Be safe everyone!!

Oh, and Lidwina....NOT nice!! LOL
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 04:55 PM
My husband says we have about a foot. Some 3-6 inches. LOL
By MissSharon73
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 04:55 PM
Sorry the pic is blurry and huge!! I took it on my phone, in the cold, and had to hold it at a weird angle so I could shine the flashlight on the ruler in order to see the numbers without a really big glare :P
By ChristinePremium member
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 04:59 PM
I'm so bummed about this.

We were supposed to go to my daughter's family weekend at her college and there were so many cars off the road coming home from the studio around noon so we postponed it till tomorrow.

I was supposed to bring her Halloween costume up to her so she could wear it to a party in her dorm tonight, but it just isn't going to happen.

I feel so guilty! I know it is stupid...I didn't dump this snow...but she's so shy and I'm sure this is a disappointment.

Again I wonder why I live here. I HATE WINTER!

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 05:08 PM
I don't hate winter, but even in summer, with the storms, we had stuff that caused issues. We can blame mother nature!
By missliz404
On Sat Oct 29, 2011 07:01 PM
Holy cow! Here in Texas, we're just getting to weather that is tolerable after a HORRIBLY hot summer. So sorry for you all! Hope it clears up soon.
By NDow
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 02:15 AM
The main thing -- I hope everyone is safe. After that, I feel like Grumpy Smurf. It took me two hours to get home from New Brunswick; usually it's about 50 minutes. I left the studio before my final class, because I knew from the way it was coming down there, my area at a much higher elevation, was already in bad shape. The AD was decidedly unhappy. I suggested canceling the class, which is small at the best of times, but he felt compelled to come in and teach it.

Anyway, this was no winter wonderland of a trip. It was a Tim Burton movie set, with deformed trees barely standing, and branches and limbs and trees falling before my eyes, creating ever-changing obstacle courses on the snow-covered roads.

Our power just came back on, so I thought I'd check in to let everyone affected know that my thoughts are with you! Hopefully all will be cleared by Halloween, or at least enough for the kids to get out and have a great time Trick or Treating.
By vfdtPremium member
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 03:07 AM
Yes, I was supposed to go into the city this afternoon, to buy needed hats/props for my Nutcracker, after I finished teaching this AM. My car was skidding on the ice, and the streets were not plowed/salted, so I just went home instead - better safe than sorry. Next, we lost electric for 4 hours in the evening.

I'm hoping that it clears up Sunday morning, as I have a private lesson at 10 am, a prepaid brunch reception nearby, then our Nutcracker rehearsal. The weather channels continued to under-report the severity and depth, so I wondered if it was just me. Thanks to your pics/postings above, I now know it could have been worse.

I purposely moved my Nutcracker up a month, to November 27th, to avoid the December snowstorms. So if it snows Thanksgiving weekend, you can blame me!!
By Mandance
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 07:43 AM
Yikes! That looks terrible. I am not ready for that at all and I'm sure you weren't either!
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 08:26 AM
Still no power and now phone and internet are down. If not for our generator, we would be in a pickle. I have tv but my cell phone service is intermittant, at best, so I can get on line, now and then.

My daughter has no power, nor generator, in her apt. complex. Her BFF's parent's house is out, too. We have our grill and coleman stove, and microwave to cook, but since we have well water, and cannot hook the well pump to it, we only have what is in our reserve tank for flushing toilets. We are going to bring in snow, almost 16" here, in buckets to flush.

We have drinking water, though.
By hummingbird
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 09:12 AM
Wow!

So up here in the frozen north that is Canada the temperature went up to about 7 degrees C and it all melted, we have no snow any more.

Keep safe all of you who are coping with this.
By J1ll
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 09:40 AM
Only 6" here in northeastern Massachusetts. But such a heavy wet snow that trees and power lines are down all over. We could hear branches cracking and breaking all around us all night. We lost power around 10pm last night but it returned around 4 am.
Cleaned up and made a snowman this morning now making like a bird and nesting for the rest of the day!!
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 07:42 AM
Wow! I have a friend in Pittsburgh who was talking about getting snow, but I didn't realize HOW much snow everyone got. Glad to hear everyone is safe!
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 07:50 AM
It's not about how much snow but how wet the snow was. Since it was so wet, and heavy, it had trees bending down to the ground, snapping and falling on power and phone lines. We are out since Sat at 1pm and might be until Friday. I guess that I will have to shower at the gym, or at work, where they have a shower. My daughter is estimated to get hers back tonight, but will lose all of the food in her fridge, and maybe freezer, which she cannot afford.
By madance
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 09:40 AM
Dream_chaser wrote:

My daughter is estimated to get hers back tonight, but will lose all of the food in her fridge, and maybe freezer, which she cannot afford.

tell here to contact her home ins. co. she should get some money to cover lost food with out having to pay her deductable.
By NDow
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 02:55 PM
We did not get nearly as much snow as areas just to our north. Maybe 6 inches, but as others have said, it was the extreme heaviness, weighing down the trees and power lines, that made it so damaging.

All the schools in our area were closed today, and the studio where I teach tomorrow does not think we'll even be able to get into the parking lot because of all the fallen trees. 3,000 in our town are still without power. Commuter train service to New York City has been suspended. The Township has advised trick or treaters to go out before dark, or consider postponing until Saturday, to give clean-up crews a chance to do what they need to do. So far we've had only four trick or treaters.

Today was my first day out and about; I really needed to get to my chiropractor, who is 15 minutes away. I could not believe the amount of destruction en route! And we are not in the worst-hit zone. I was happy to find a supermarket open, so I dropped in there. All they were selling was non-perishable items. All the refrigerated and frozen sections were empty. Very spooky.

Can we all pitch in and send Mother Nature on a long vacation?... Happy Halloween to all who are observing tonight!
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 03:02 PM
madance wrote:

Dream_chaser wrote:

My daughter is estimated to get hers back tonight, but will lose all of the food in her fridge, and maybe freezer, which she cannot afford.

tell here to contact her home ins. co. she should get some money to cover lost food with out having to pay her deductable.

She lives in an apartment and has not gotten tenant insurance, yet. Usually, too, you have deductible, which would be the bulk of it. She said that most is still frozen and will cook whatever is not. Thank goodness.

We may not have power until Friday. They had 15,000 downed lines in our county. It's too much to keep up with for the crews. They are sending help from outside the affected areas.

ReplySendWatch