Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

Jazz - Professionals
Question on credit for choreography
By MathCat Comments: 3, member since Wed Nov 02, 2011
On Wed Nov 02, 2011 03:11 PM
Edited by MathCat (243058) on 2011-11-02 15:15:40 added a detail

Hello. I'm looking for suggestions on how to resolve the following situation. A few months ago I was cast as the dance lead in a musical. It's community theatre (eg, unpaid), but at a fairly high level, and we're in the middle of a two month run.

For the show, I agreed to choreograph my two solos. I came up with original dances, one jazz, the other contemporary ballet en pointe.

In the program, my choreography is attributed to someone else, the person who was supposed to choreograph the show. When I sent them my bio for the program, I emailed them the credit for me as the choreographer for those two pieces, but they left that out of the program.

I'm planning on using my choreography again as part of a rock opera I'm composing. I've already had the book and CD published (the book by a major house, the CD by an indie label). Right now I'm working on the choreography, which I'll probably copyright when I finish (the music is registered with BMI and the book is copyrighted in my name).

My question is this: what should I do about my choreography being credited to someone else in the program for the show I'm doing? I've thought of asking that they put an insert into the program, but that request will require extra work of an already overworked production crew, so before I do it, I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on tactful ways to handle this situation.

Thanks -- Cat

2 Replies to Question on credit for choreography

re: Question on credit for choreography
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Nov 02, 2011 06:56 PM
Unfortunately, that sort of thing is pretty common in community theater. Personally, I'd just let it go unless you're ok being labeled a troublemaker. Just consider it a chance to stage your choreo for free and make sure you get good video for your reel.
re: Question on credit for choreography
By MathCat Comments: 3, member since Wed Nov 02, 2011
On Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 PM
I had wondered about that. Mostly I do my own gigs as a singer/dancer etc or else I've been the director. I haven't done much community theatre, and this is my first in years. I've been surprised by what has gone on behind the scenes.

It would certainly be easier not to say anything about the attribution. I wouldn't want to run into any problems, though, when I incorporate my choreography from this show into my own original work.

ReplySendWatch