Popular Irish

How do you keep your wig from getting caught in sequins on back of dress? by ForReel
I just got my first solo dress. I love it. I wore it to one feis and realized I have a problem. My...

Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
Can i use hotfix crystals on twinkle satin? en>fr fr>en
By mickeymouse3 Comments: 5, member since Wed Feb 10, 2010
On Thu Nov 03, 2011 05:34 PM

Daughters new dress due to arrive next week and we are going to need more sparkle. I'v never done anything like this before so need some advice please.
Not sure on sizes of crystals yet thinking about ss34s or ss40s (smaller crystals look scarey).
Can i use hotfix on twinkle satin dress?
Any ideas where to buy in uk? beadsandcrystals website dont
seem to have stock of crystal 32s or 40s.
Any and all advice is very welcome.

7 Replies to Can i use hotfix crystals on twinkle satin?

re: Can i use hotfix crystals on twinkle satin? en>fr fr>en
By byudawn Comments: 334, member since Wed Jun 30, 2010
On Thu Nov 03, 2011 05:40 PM
Edited by byudawn (224140) on 2011-11-03 17:51:27
I have had hotfix on twinkle satin on a past dress and they FALL OFF.and/or easily "peel" off....of course, I didn't do the hotfix job, so not sure if the dressmaker just did it badly?? I've personally used E6000 on white twinkle satin (bow on the back) and plain satin and have put over 2,000 crystals on with that and NOT ONE has fallen or even started to peel off in the 4 times she's worn it so far.
By rosalinde Comments: 1769, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 03:36 PM
I've never used twinkle satin, but on regular satin Hotfix is all I use. For other fabrics I use GemTac, but on satin Hotfix seems to be the only option, at least for me.
By mickeymouse3 Comments: 5, member since Wed Feb 10, 2010
On Fri Nov 11, 2011 01:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. We have started dress using hotfix and its great. Clean & quick and looking good.
By xburningxyearsxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 268, member since Wed Aug 18, 2004
On Fri Nov 11, 2011 03:38 PM
i wouldn't suggest using hotfix on twinkle satin.. or at all really i haven't found it to be very good. i use e6000 glue and they stick on like crazy
By Maisey Comments: 491, member since Mon May 12, 2008
On Fri Nov 11, 2011 08:13 PM
I had the hotfix come off the twinkle satin after a bit. I had to re-do with GemTac....then was fine. For the 40ss I used gemTac.
By BethanysMAIDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 689, member since Thu Oct 04, 2007
On Sun Nov 13, 2011 05:57 AM
Same here, I used hotfix for some on twinkle satin and they did not stick at all well after a short while (and I have done a lot of hotfixing). Its is also very risky as one tiny slip and it burns through quickly.

I have redone them with GemTac and they have stayed fine. I tend to use GemTac for most now as its much faster

G
By Maisey Comments: 491, member since Mon May 12, 2008
On Sun Nov 13, 2011 06:10 AM
Gemma...this is what happened to me ...the crystals seemed fine then later..started falling off...bit-by-bit---

We just used Hotfix on the school dresses this week and they all seem fine for now.....but bet by the time the OIreachtas (our qualifier) is over we will be sporting only half.

ReplySendWatch