Forum: Arts / Books

I need a new book series to start, tell me what you think of these!
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 05, 2011 09:41 PM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2011-11-05 21:50:26

I like getting into a book series because I get attached to the characters. Series that I have read that I really enjoy are: Stephanie Plum novels (Janet Evanovich), Hunger games trilogy, Harry Potter (of course), Sookie Stackhouse novels (Charlaine Harris), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and the other 2 from the series). I don't like cheesy romance novels and I couldn't stand Twilight. I like detective and mystery books, and have no aversion to reading something that is clearly YA but is still good for adults.

I would love some feedback about these:
The Mortal Instruments books (first book is called City of Bones) by Cassandra Clare
Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison
A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones, etc) by George R.R. Martin

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated. I would love something easy that I can read in between other books that I pick up! In addition if you know any good website that has good reviews of books in an easy to search format that would be great. I would love a website with a comprehensive list of "favorites."

24 Replies to I need a new book series to start, tell me what you think of these!

re: I need a new book series to start, tell me what you think of these!
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:26 AM
The Mortal Instruments series is the best series I have read, hands down. I don't read a lot of fiction..actually I don't read any fiction, always true crime and biographies, but my Mom bought me City of Bones way back when it was the only book, and that series I actually liked so much I bought each consecutive book at midnight releases. It's an amazing series.
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:36 AM
Just wanted to add 2 more series in case anyone has read them and has some input. I signed up for Goodreads.com, but these are the only recommendations that interest me so far:
Kinsey Millhone (1st of series is A is for Alibi) by Sue Grafton
Uglies (trilogy maybe? I don't even know how many there are) by Scott Westerfeld

Thanks again!
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 01:57 AM
I LOOOOOVE the Georgia Nicolson novels. They're hilarious, and I would definitely recommend that you read them! I'm talking about laugh-until-you cry funny, too. I've read the first few so many times and they never get old. There's 10 in the series and they're all pretty quick reads.

You should look into the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray...love those as well.
By Sumayah
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 01:13 AM
If you like political intrigue with dragons, read George R. R. Martin. Great, great books. But commit some time to them, they aren't fluff. A series I enjoyed that's not super in depth but not really fluff was the Magic/Poison/Fire Study trilogy by Maria V. Snyder.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 08:10 AM
I tried the George R. R. Martin series, but I couldn't get into it at all. There were too many different characters and plots for my liking.

How about the His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman? It's fantasy, but really well written and engaging. It's young adult, but I read it when I was about 23 and it sounds like we have similar taste in books (i also loved the Sookie books, millennium trilogy, Harry Potter etc).
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:53 AM
^I have read Golden Compass but not the other 2, I think you are probably right and I should pick those up. I think to start I will grab the rest of His Dark Materials and a Georgia Nicolson. I also have a friend that suggested the Jessica Darling novels. I really don't know how many of these will be at the library, so I don't want to buy anything if it might be too childish for me, or too complex that I don't really want to read them. I am 26 and I can handle the tough books, but I like to save that for my one off books that I read, not series.

Also I have another odd question. I might decide to buy some of these on Amazon because they are so cheap, but I have OCD when it comes to my books and I can't possibly have different versions of the books in the same series. On this website www.georgianicolson.com . . . they show cover art of the books that look like reprints (and I think they are really cute), but when you go to Amazon there are like 10 different reprints of each and I don't think the listings are necessarily accurate in which cover they have. Any tips on purchasing online and finding the correct editions so mine can all match? Oh yeah and I really only like to purchase paperback.

Off to the library and the Book Swap I go!
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 02:13 PM
So I struck out major in finding the first book in the series I listed. The lady at the book swap recommended the first installments of Sofie Metropolis by Tori Carrington and The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. I am excited to start them, they look good and on par with the Stephanie Plum novels!

I am going to order:
Jessica Darling www.amazon.com . . .
Georgia www.amazon.com . . .
His Dark Materials www.amazon.com . . .

That should last me for quite awhile!
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 02:50 PM
Also, I forgot to say, thanks for the recommendations! I'm definitely going to check a few of them out!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 03:07 PM
If you read Dance With Dragons, my advice is to never stop and never reread anything - even when you become confused (and you will). Just plow through, and it will all make sense eventually. Those books do have a HUGE cast, and I would have needed diagrams and spreadsheets to remember who was who. But none of that matters. I always say you can pick up any of those books, choose a random page, and just start reading. It doesn't matter that you can't keep track of every single character because the stories are completely enthralling.
By contemp_is_rad
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 05:32 PM
If you like Harry Potter you might also like Raymond E Feists books - I love them, and it is a huge series so you can just keep ploughing through!
By mandakp
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 09:00 PM
I love the Song of Ice and Fire series, they are hard reading, but I love them!

On a lighter fantasy note, you should try both Raymond E. Feist and David Eddings. Both are great, easier reading with lots of humour.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 09:21 PM
If you want a fun read you MUST read Confessions of Georgia Nicolson. I have read the entire series many times and my friends and I still quote the books all the time. There were many times I had to stop reading I was laughing so hard.

I also loved a Series of Unfortunate events. Every book built off the last and were just fantastic. This is another series I can read over and over again even though I know what happens. If you saw the movie, it sucked compared to the books. I have never been so disappointed in a movie before. They put the first 3 books in one movie and left out way to much information.
By DanceDynamicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 01, 2011 02:21 PM
I really like the Pretty Little Liars series. And I think the new book is coming out on December 7th, yay!

love,
DanceDynamic
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 01, 2011 06:17 PM
Uglies was a good series. I think there were 4 books, but I'm not sure. I read them all, but it was awhile ago. I like the first 3, but the last one didn't really connect to the first 3 books well. Another good series is the Eragon series. I just finished the fourth book and I'm so sad it's over! I love reading fiction, so if you're not so much into dragons and elves and stuff like that, Eragon isn't the best choice.

I also love pretty much anything by Jodi Picoult, though I don't think she does series, I think all of her books are wrapped in in a single book.
By DanceGhost
On Tue Dec 13, 2011 07:51 AM
just finished reading the three Lynwood Barclay books and they were excellent. glad you read the Stig Larson trilogy, they were also excellent
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 13, 2011 01:32 PM
I really liked the Uglies series, even though they were a quick read for me. They're not incredibly deep, but they're interesting enough to keep you hooked through an entire book.

The Georgia Nicolson books are good if you want a REALLY light read, haha. They're written for a younger set, so you might find some of the humor a little immature, but overall, they're a good silly series.
By AinetheDragonPremium member
On Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:28 AM
I liked the Mortal Instruments series, they were pretty good.

If you liked Sookie Stackhouse, you might also like Kim Harrison's Hollows series. A Pixie, a Witch, and a Vampire move in together and start their own PI firm.....
Also the books by Kelley Armstrong are pretty good, similar type of urban fantasy world, and some fun characters to read about throughout the series. She has a young adult series too which is related.
On Wed Dec 14, 2011 07:50 PM
Thank you all for continuing to add to this thread! I have been disappointed by the Sofie Metropolis series. I just didn't get attached to the main character after the first book. I also wasn't impressed by the writing, definitely not on par with Janet Evanovich. I am finishing the most recent Sookie Stackhouse right now since for some reason I waited forever to start it, and then I am going to try The Spellman Files. I like the sound of the Kim Harrison's Hollows series, so I will see if I can get one soon!
By EStarmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 AM
Edited by EStar (165185) on 2011-12-23 00:38:31
I've never read the three series in entirety you asked about, but I am a huge fan of the Hunger Games and, of course, Harry Potter. :) I started the Scott Westerfield books a few years ago and just couldn't get through them, I found the plot a little shallow, though they were entertaining for summer reading.

Some other series I enjoyed..

The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander
the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray (it definitely has a romance component, but I still loved it)
Airborn Trilogy by Kenneth Oppel (favorite EVER)
Larklight and Mortal Engines Trilogies by Philip Reeve
Lord of the Rings
The Giver and following books by Lois Lowry (this is another really good one, definitely not limited to the children's section where it's found!)
The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale
The Claidi Journals by Tanith Lee
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman Trilogy by Brian Jacques (don't be fooled by the author though, this series is nothing like his other books -- so much better.)
The Guardians of Time Trilogy by Marianne Curley (I read this one in high school, can't remember how cheesy it was, so proceed with caution on this one ;))
The City of Ember etc. by Jeanne DuPrau
Inkheart, etc. by Cornelia Funke
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Poison Study by Maria Snyder
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 05:55 PM
I hate to say it but every series I have been starting lately just has fallen flat. Couldn't get into the rest of the His Dark Materials books, although I will probably try them again at some point. My mom recommended some Nelson Demille books and they were just too long and boring. The good news is that some of the long awaited books are finally coming up on my waiting list for my Kindle. City of Ember just popped up so I am starting it tonight. Does anyone know what is up with the (I think) prequel called The Prophet of Yonwood? When do I read that one? After the first, or what? I need to know what to put on my waiting list.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:45 AM
The Ugly series (it's four books uglies - pretties - specials - extras) is pretty good. Light reading thought, I think it's a good start if you like to look into utopias/distrubias.

What I would recommend if you like detectives is the author
Jasper Fforde
He wrote several books also the series about the special agent Thursday Next (she is a female ;) )

It's low fiction. There are real humans but the world history is quite a bit different from the history we learn in school. That leds to some differences, like they don't really have planes, they still drive zeppelins. They have recreate Dodos.
It's really funny, it's educating.
Thursday is a special agents, who protects the world of books.

Go here www.thursdaynext.com to look into the story, there is a whole thursday next world on the internet :)
By Tiggerpants
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 AM
I loved (and am still loving) the Song of Ice and Fire books. It took me ages to get into them but since watching the series I've started into them again and not looked back. I'm on book four of five now and I agree with Panic, there are so so many characters so just plow through and it starts to make sense. I'm loving these books.
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:47 PM
I was thinking about this thread the other day because I remembered another series you might like - Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. I loved this series. Really well-written and interesting story.
By gurlwithcurls
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:10 PM
I absolutely loved the Jessica Darling series. Still re-read them on occasion.

ReplySendWatch