Forum: Arts / Pets

Were getting a Beagle on Thursday!!!!
By rr_lover
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:13 AM
Moved to Pets by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-11-09 08:24:58 Moved to a more appropriate forum.

On Thursday this week, hopefully....were going to get our newest addition to our family, my parents are adopting a friend of my dads beagle that they no longer want.

And I'm very thankful she's coming to stay with us and that she'll have a forever home, her old family basically kept her in a cage 24/7 and they wondered why they had all the barking issues they've had with her. I'm personally VERY, VERY much against crate training a dog, my stance is if your going to put your dog in a crate then WHY get a dog in the first place? I think its very inhumane and not right.

My mom's not exactly keen on the idea of having a second dog, our older Dacshund (he is 10 years old), he can be very, very picky about having other dogs in his house, he has seemed to get along with our newest addition in the past, and he's gotten less and less aggressive, when we've taken care of her and her sister. Now her sister (who is a Basset) my dog HATED her, and they never, ever got along but the Beagle he seemed to, like i said, be less and less agressive towards her the more times we've had her.

If you guys want i will keep posting updates about how things go with her, and also post piccies of our newest girl. I'm really excited we get to keep her, she is SO sweet and has a really nice dispistion about her .

Also if your wondering what her name is it's "Winnie".

6 Replies to Were getting a Beagle on Thursday!!!!

re: Were getting a Beagle on Thursday!!!!
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 AM
Awww yay, I'm happy for you! I REALLY want a dog but with 2 cats and a small house it's just not reasonable or responsible to get one right now. PLEASE post updates, I love Beagles and I'd like to live vicariously through your dog ownership. :)
By FeelLikeDancinPremium member
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 02:41 PM
Good luck! I have a beagle and he eats shoes and furniture. I also have a beagle/dalmatian mix and she eats CDs, movies, and socks. Beagles are little hellians, but they are so dang cute it's hard to resist them! My beagles put that cover beagle to shame on the cuteness meter, but they're evil! Never leave your shoes unattended.

Seriously though, good luck with your newest addition! I love dogs (even the ones that eat my couch and steal my flip flops).
By rr_lover
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 02:48 PM
Nienna wrote:

Awww yay, I'm happy for you! I REALLY want a dog but with 2 cats and a small house it's just not reasonable or responsible to get one right now. PLEASE post updates, I love Beagles and I'd like to live vicariously through your dog ownership. :)

Awwww thank you!!!! i wll VERY much keep posting about her <3. I am SO excited she's the sweetest little girl.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 08:13 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2011-11-08 20:16:46 ..
Congrats for the new addition, my ex boyfriend's parents had a beagle that was very sweet. She was a handful too, but very sweet.

I'm personally VERY, VERY much against crate training a dog, my stance is if your going to put your dog in a crate then WHY get a dog in the first place? I think its very inhumane and not right.

Gotta disagree with you on this one though. I don't agree in crating a dog because you don't have time for it, and when not done correctly the dog can become very frustrated...such as using it for punishment. However, the Humane Society of America gives tips on crate training. They are one of the largest advocates for humane treatment of animals.

Research this a little...dogs are den animals. A crate can be is a place to sleep, hide from danger, chill out, etc. The primary use is for potty training because dogs don't like to soil their dens. The crate can limit access to the rest of the house while he learns the rules, learns not to chew on furniture etc. They are also a safe way to transport your dog. Basically once they learn the house rules it should be a place where your dog goes voluntarily which most do if someone takes the time to do it correctly.

Both my dogs were crate trained, and 2 of the most obedient dogs most people have ever seen. I rarely use the crates, but my lab often slept in her crate during the day, and my shepherd had to be crated when we put our house on the market and realtors were coming during the day to show it. It was safety for people coming in as well as for my dog since on more than one occasion our backyard gate was left open and he would have gotten out had he just been running around free. Just another perspective that crate training can be done humanely and in a loving home.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 09, 2011 07:58 AM
I agree with Renae. Crate training in and of itself is not cruel or inhumane, as long as the crate is being used for the right reasons. Just yesterday, I put my dogs' crates in our spare bedroom to keep them out of the way for a bit, and before too long, my older dog was very obviously wondering where his crate went and trying to find it so that he could have some private time away from our other dog. For dogs like mine, who tend to be loners and get overstimulated easily, having a crate is a godsend. And yes, it is a very useful tool when potty training a dog.

I'm actually more concerned about the fact that (1) your mom, whom you presumably live with, is not happy about getting the dog, and (2) you already have an older dog who is not very receptive to having other dogs in his home. To be a successful pet owner, it really helps to have all members of your household on board, and I know from experience how difficult it can be to introduce a new dog into a household where there is already an established, somewhat aggressive dog. So I hope over time, your mom becomes more receptive and your older dog is able to adjust.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:21 AM
imadanseur wrote:

Congrats for the new addition, my ex boyfriend's parents had a beagle that was very sweet. She was a handful too, but very sweet.

I'm personally VERY, VERY much against crate training a dog, my stance is if your going to put your dog in a crate then WHY get a dog in the first place? I think its very inhumane and not right.

Research this a little...dogs are den animals. A crate can be is a place to sleep, hide from danger, chill out, etc.

The den analogy is over used and incorrect. The concept has been used to sell crates for years.
Dogs in the wild (both feral dogs and wolves) only use a "den" during and after whelping their pups or when they are sick so a crate for every day use is not the same thing.
But I don't have a problem with crating for a reasonable amount of time if the dogs have been introduced to the crate properly and conditioned to relax inside the crate.
When I have to leave him, I crate my dog.

Jonelle wrote:

I'm actually more concerned about the fact that (1) your mom, whom you presumably live with, is not happy about getting the dog, and (2) you already have an older dog who is not very receptive to having other dogs in his home. To be a successful pet owner, it really helps to have all members of your household on board, and I know from experience how difficult it can be to introduce a new dog into a household where there is already an established, somewhat aggressive dog. So I hope over time, your mom becomes more receptive and your older dog is able to adjust.

^This.

ReplySendWatch