Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Disco - 18+
Being Independant
By cheekychesca Comments: 159, member since Sun Jan 23, 2011
On Sun Nov 13, 2011 04:01 PM

Hello, just wanted to make a post asking if any other adult dancers do 'everything themselves' .i have been doing my own hair, make-up, tan for since i was u/14 and have bought my own tickets, costumes and lessons for couple of years now. I also drive to comps and that too so am pretty independant just as my parents dont enjoy the competition scenery! so i have learnt to do everything myself. Was just curious if anyone else is the same?

xx luv and hugs xx
Chez

10 Replies to Being Independant

re: Being Independant
By riarand Comments: 7, member since Fri Aug 26, 2011
On Sun Nov 13, 2011 04:22 PM
im the same i started freestyle when i was 15 when i was in begginers, im now an adult champ (18) and have always done everything for myself organising and buying and everything else my family have always helped buy outfits though as we all no there extremely expensive xx
By AmyVictoria Comments: 149, member since Sun Jan 09, 2011
On Mon Nov 14, 2011 01:35 AM
Hey,

When I competed my mum paid for pretty much everything up until I was 18. After that she didn't really come to comps and I paid for thing's myself! My mum loved the comps but always ended up with a huge headache! Before turning 18 I never went on my own, its a big shock to the system how much my mum actually did for me! Haha! My 5 year old niece competes now so she is being dragged back into the Disco world! :)

Amy
xxx
By SianyRolls99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4591, member since Mon Jul 19, 2010
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 03:32 AM
When I used to do comps I was pretty independent with buying my own suits, doing my own tan, hair and make up and buying my own comp tickets and dance lessons.

I didn't drive myself as my sister also does comps so my mum drove but apart from that I did everything myself :)

xxx
By majicdancer Comments: 1069, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 08:22 AM
always have always will.

i started at 14 in under 16 beginners always bought everything for myself and paid for my own lessons since i turned 17 i drive to all the ocmps myself unless anyone wants to share a lift.

and i have always done my own tan hair and makeup (even worked out how to tan my own back) lol.

my mum doesnt disapprove of my danicng its just not her thing so i do it all myself. i think she bought me a costume once for about £150 but now i buy all my own.

I work full time so dont see why my mum should have to pay anything. im now an adult champ and since i started working when i left sixth form ive been able to train more and buy a costume for solos pairs and slow instead of using one or two for all sections.

I like being independant and i think it shows dedication and determination. although wouldnt mind if mum wanted to buy it all ha ha more money for me then lol xx
By dizzyrach Comments: 885, member since Mon Feb 16, 2009
On Sun Jan 22, 2012 05:13 AM
HI,

when I was younger my mum to used to pay for it and come with and that. but now that i'm older i pay for everything myself, including comps, dance class and costumes. my mum isn't really supportive anymore and doesn't come to class with me or comps. I dont really mind as I have a lot of support from the other mums from my dance class which is really nice and for comps and festivals I all ways share with people from my dance class. :)
I do find it hard sometimes but then I remember why I do it because I love to dance.
good post though its nice to know that there is some older ones who are independent as i think you appreciate it more.

rachel xx
By discole01member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Tue Feb 06, 2007
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 02:25 PM
My mum used to pay for everything but now that I am at college I pay for my own fee's, lessons and comp tickets. When we go to festivals I also pay my own accommodation. However when it comes to buying costumes I help my mum by contributing some money towards them.

Nicole x
By Jodee_babesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4537, member since Wed Dec 14, 2005
On Wed Apr 04, 2012 07:42 PM
Hey,

I retired at 17 so I was kinda independent.

I sorted all my own classes and which comps I wanted to attend. But she did pay for them as I wasn't working.

However for as long as I can remember from about U12 I did my own hair and makeup. I don't like other people doing it haha!

<3
By Ex_discodancer Comments: 106, member since Sun Feb 26, 2012
On Mon Apr 09, 2012 04:21 PM
I do everything from find comps , make my costumes and head dress's ,hair makeup (never use tan as i hate the stuff plus makes me stand out more as the only pale girl) , travel to and from the comps book a hotel if needed . yep i do it all xxx
By DanceManiacLauzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2475, member since Sun Jan 28, 2007
On Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:32 AM
yep i do most things myself! i have done my own hair and make up scince i was about 12, and nowadays go to most comps by myself,get my food tan hair makeup and bits together myself. by getting lifts with my dance teacher etc, pay and go to all my festivals myself, pay for most of my private lessons and put some towards my costume. my parents pay for my normal lessons as i am still in college so only have a saturday job and one evening in the week, but i also give some money to them monthly. :) x
By Riia Comments: 50, member since Sun Apr 05, 2009
On Tue May 22, 2012 04:12 AM
I was 14 when i started freestyle in U/16 begginers, iv worked part time from being 13 and have payed for almost everything myself ecept iv had help with costumes as they are extremly expensive, I retired last year in adult champs and my mum has come to watch me once due to her not driving and the comps being so far away, i think people are really lucky who have there mums and dads to pay for everything because its so expensive, but iv loved every minuite :)

ReplySendWatch