Forum: Arts / Books

Winter book list - Help Needed!
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 14, 2011 07:07 AM

I need everyone's help here, in deciding my winter reading list. I will have about a month or so off, which means I have about 4-5 books I'll have time to read (it would be more, but given holidays, and travel, probably not).

I'm an English student right now, and I'm exhausted from the survey classes I'm taking this semester. I want to read for fun again!

Here's where I need your help!

Pick me the best of the best novel you've read. Don't make a huge list - remember that I don't have time for it. In fact, if you could only recommend one, tell me what one, and why!

Limits:

Must be contemporary (current).
Must be adult fiction - unless you can make a good case for an adult non-fiction book. But it must be adult!
I'm almost open to all genres!

Really, if this book was a page turner, you couldn't put down, and was fantastic, recommend it! I'm really asking for help, because if not I'll end up reading only Stephen King, and exhaust myself again. =)

Thanks guys!

11 Replies to Winter book list - Help Needed!

re: Winter book list - Help Needed! (karma: 1)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 14, 2011 08:33 AM
I like classics so I am not sure if my first recommendation is the best. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It was published in 1932 so I guess it is considered a classic, but I don't think a lot of people have read it. It was the first dystopian novel I ever read. This is a book that I think probably inspired a lot of contemporary books in the same genre.

Since that might not be what you are going for, I will recommend a book that I just picked up. I am not done with it, but it came to me with high recommendations and it is really good so far. Room by Emma Donoghue . It is narrated by a 5 year old boy who is captive in a room with his mother.
re: Winter book list - Help Needed!
On Mon Nov 14, 2011 08:42 AM
I've read Brave New World several times. If you liked it, you should really check out "Never Let Me Go". It's a dystopian novel as well. Freakishly good. =)
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 14, 2011 09:17 AM
I loved The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I don't want to say too much about it because I don't want to give anything away, but it's just so good. So well written, with a lot of really interesting plot devices at work. I seem to always end up recommending this book to people who are looking for a good novel to read.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 AM
I recently fell in love with The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Couldn't put it down. To be as concise as possible, it's sort of urban fantasy, but it's cynical and it sort of plays with the Harry Potter/Narnia worlds. It's great.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:04 PM
I just finished listening to the audiobook version of The Help. I bought it on ITunes for about 20 dollars but it was over 18 hours of wonderfully narrated reading. If you wanted to try an audiobook, I would recomment this one, the Southern accents (especially those of the black maids) were really awesome and I never would have been able to read them properly in my head.
On Tue Nov 29, 2011 01:11 PM
I just finished another audiobook that I adored...The Road. They have a movie that was made recently and I'm going to watch it now that the book is finished. It wasn't very long, and it was very compelling to listen to. It was written this decade but I loved that the story could have been almost any time during the last century.
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:42 PM
I LOVE Where the Heart is by Billie Letts! I reccommend reading it. Just make sure you have some tissues handy. I also really loved The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. If you haven't seen the movie it may be slightly confusing to begin with, but it's worth reading.
By kandykanePremium member
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:53 PM
I second The Help. Somebody better be giving me that for Christmas, I've dropped enough hints already.

kk~
On Wed Dec 21, 2011 06:14 AM
I forgot I posted this! Woops!
(Thanks KK for the email reminder lol)

OK, so here's what I've got:

11/22/63 - Stephen King. Already started, already so good.
On Writing - Stephen King (also already started, so good).
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald (never read, might as well)
The Leftovers - Tom Perrotta
The Help - Because of you guys, and about 10 females in my life, I will read it.
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami

I will probably have most of these read by New Years (oh free time! So sweet!). I believe this will also give my professors some hope for me, as I did not drown myself completely in King novels.
On Wed Dec 21, 2011 01:45 PM
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami

I think I might buy this with my Audible.com credit this month! It has really good reviews!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:27 PM
You've probably already read, "Auntie Mame", one of the funniest books ever written. Not to mention seeing the movies and musicals which try to live up to the book, though that's an impossible task.

So I'll suggest "A Confederacy of Dunces". It has also, recently, become a minor "classic" and is one of the funniest books ever written but not made into a movie or musical. Yet.

And then there's "Don't Stop the Carnival", also a contender for world's funniest book, which Jimmy Buffett did make into a musical. He's the only musician I can think of who would be able to compose the music for that. Unfortunately the production did not come to my city.

If you read "The Great Gatsby" and like F. Scott Fitzgerald, you must read "Beloved Infidel" by Sheila Graham, about herself and Fitzgerald. I think it's out of print but readily available used via Amazon.com.
By caseywhite
On Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 AM
Hi, if you are still looking for something to read, then I advise you to look at freebooksummary.com . . . this free site. There guys publish a lot of cool and interesting content about books.

ReplySendWatch