re: Hunger Games Trailer Released!
By dancer57575member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 22, 2012 03:32 PM
So excited!!!!
May the odds be ever in your favor! =)
By FunnyCloud
On Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:16 PM
Only 59 days till it gets released...but hey, who's counting, right?
By ChristinePremium member
On Sun Jan 22, 2012 06:26 PM
I just read these books and couldn't stop until I'd finished the third.

I don't know if I can take watching it on the big screen. Too horrifying.

I read a summary of a book not too long ago, The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker.

1.'Tragedy'. Hero with a fatal flaw meets tragic end. Macbeth or
Madame Bovary.
2. 'Comedy'. Not necessary laugh-out-loud, but always with a happy ending, typically of romantic fulfilment, as in Jane Austen.
3. 'Overcoming the Monster'. As in Frankenstein or 'Jaws'. Its psychological appeal is obvious and eternal.
4. 'Voyage and Return'. Booker argues that stories as diverse as Alice
in Wonderland and H G Wells' The Time Machine and Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner follow the same archetypal structure of personal development through leaving, then returning home.
5. 'Quest'. Whether the quest is for a holy grail, a whale, or a kidnapped child it is the plot that links a lot of the most popular fiction. The quest plot links Lords of the Rings with Moby Dick and a thousand others in between.
6. 'Rags to Riches'. The riches in question can be literal or metaphoric. See Cinderella, David Copperfield, Pygmalion.
7. 'Rebirth'. The 'rebirth' plot - where a central character suddenly finds a new reason for living - can be seen in A Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, Crime and Punishment and Peer Gynt.

According to his theory, every piece of literature ever written falls into one of seven basic plots. I can see many combinations of those elements in the Hunger Games.

Keep On Dancing*
By FunnyCloud
On Sun Jan 22, 2012 07:35 PM
Christine wrote:

1.'Tragedy'. Hero with a fatal flaw meets tragic end. Macbeth or
Madame Bovary.
2. 'Comedy'. Not necessary laugh-out-loud, but always with a happy ending, typically of romantic fulfilment, as in Jane Austen.
3. 'Overcoming the Monster'. As in Frankenstein or 'Jaws'. Its psychological appeal is obvious and eternal.
4. 'Voyage and Return'. Booker argues that stories as diverse as Alice
in Wonderland and H G Wells' The Time Machine and Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner follow the same archetypal structure of personal development through leaving, then returning home.
5. 'Quest'. Whether the quest is for a holy grail, a whale, or a kidnapped child it is the plot that links a lot of the most popular fiction. The quest plot links Lords of the Rings with Moby Dick and a thousand others in between.
6. 'Rags to Riches'. The riches in question can be literal or metaphoric. See Cinderella, David Copperfield, Pygmalion.
7. 'Rebirth'. The 'rebirth' plot - where a central character suddenly finds a new reason for living - can be seen in A Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, Crime and Punishment and Peer Gynt.

According to his theory, every piece of literature ever written falls into one of seven basic plots. I can see many combinations of those elements in the Hunger Games.

Keep On Dancing*

Interesting! There looks like there's a lot of crossover between these and the 'Hero's Journey' ark

1. The Ordinary World.
2. The Call to Adventure
3. Refusal of the Call
4. The Mentor
5. Crossing the First Threshold
6. Tests, Allies and Enemies
7. Approach to the Lair
8. The Ordeal
9. The Reward
10. The Road Back
11. The Resurrection
12. Return with the Elixir

THG seems to have most of these elements (though of course it depends if you apply it to each individual book or the trilogy as a whole). So does Harry Potter, and most of the 3,4, or 5 type stories.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:14 PM
I just read the series over Christmas, and I need to buy the first two books on my kindle so I can read them again. I was quickly hooked!

The trailer looks great, and I will be very excited to see the movie.

In response to the sideline discussion:
In Jasper Fforde's book, The Well of Lost Plots, the bookworld overseerers explain that the last original idea was used in 1884, and since then all ideas have been recycled, other than a few crumbs left over that were eaten up by Science Fiction. (ch 11, introducing Ultra-Word)

All joking aside, there are 8 basic story lines, and stories fit into one of the lines. Sometimes there are combinations, but the overarching story will fit one of the 8 lines. It isn't about what story line you use, it's how you tell the story. Yes, Hunger Games has some similarities to other post-apocolyptic stories, including elements of reality-tv taken to the extreme (or to the origions, circa Roman Empire but I digress)
It's a well told story that leaves you with some good food for thought, and should hopefully translate into an exciting enjoyable movie.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:44 AM
I just read The Hunger Games and have watched all the trailers and I can't wait to see the movie! It looks as if it will be true to the book and will hold up the intensity as well.

I can't wait to read the other books either. I just bought Catching Fire on my Kindle and will probably spend a good chunk of today reading it.
By Live_on_Broadway
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 01:09 PM
Guess who's going to the midnight premiere?! :D
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch