Popular Irish

New England Oireachtas by irishstep
Anyone doing Adult Figures? We are doing an 8 hand and a four hand. Should be great fun.

Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Baby On Board
drugs, smoking, alcohol - no it's america we can't attack the real problem... en>fr fr>en
By millysmommy Comments: 846, member since Tue Jun 09, 2009
On Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:18 PM

so came across this today...

news.yahoo.com . . .

I know I shouldn't be as upset about it as I am - but seriously why do we continue to attack co sleeping in this country. When done safely, and properly it has been shown to be safer then a child sleeping alone because it helps regulate a newborns sleeping patterns and makes the mother more aware of anything that may be going wrong.

Why do people think its so unsafe? - because here in america its the parent sleeping with their child that caused the death - not the fact the parent was high on drugs or alcohol. Take out the fact if any drugs are in play (Including tobacco) and you'll find statistically cosleeping produces a much smaller rate of sids.

Article says milwaukee has a higher infant mortality rate then 30 other countries - How many of those 30 other countries find it normal to sleep with their child? Probably ALL of them - Because it is the norm in almost every other part of the world.

So rant over... sorry if it seems written hastily in anger, as it was.

6 Replies to drugs, smoking, alcohol - no it's america we can't attack the real problem...

re: drugs, smoking, alcohol - no it's america we can't attack the real problem... en>fr fr>en
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1901, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:21 PM
re: drugs, smoking, alcohol - no it's america we can't attack the real problem... en>fr fr>en
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:19 PM
When done safely, and properly it has been shown to be safer then a child sleeping alone
CITATION PLEASE!!

Because it is the norm in almost every other part of the world.
Really? I'm not arguing - just curious where you got this info.
re: drugs, smoking, alcohol - no it's america we can't attack the real problem... (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By millysmommy Comments: 846, member since Tue Jun 09, 2009
On Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:58 PM
Edited by millysmommy (212564) on 2011-11-16 00:00:06
Tunie^ Thanks for showing me that, I didn't see it before I posted.

And again I apologize about my typing, I had just got home from work, I was trying to get dinner ready, take care of my kids and read my e-mails/dance.net all at the same time, so not my finest work I agree.

A few of the many resources for information on co-sleeping. Don't have time to share them all, and there are others that aren't online that I could share also if I had the time to pull them out. At the moment I don't.
www.naturalchild.org . . .
www.llli.org . . .
www.llli.org . . .
www.askdrsears.com . . .
www.newbornbabyzone.com . . .

Mothering put out an very well researched article about it, that did discuss both sides of the issue. I couldn't find an online version of it, but it is available in print.

Now that i have a minute because my older ones are in bed (my youngest happily still co sleeping is not yet in bed, I would be happy to share my best arguement for cosleeping, putting aside any sort of research - My own story. My youngest would be dead without co-sleeping. When she was three days old she coughed up some mucous which stuck in her throat causing her to stop breathing. Had she not been sleeping next to me I would of never known, as she didn't make any noise - but having her next to me I woke up when her breathing pattern changed and we were able to call 911 in time and save her life. After some tests it was discovered the mucous from her birth, that normally would just run out in drool got stuck because she had a floppy trachea, which is something most infants that have it will grow out of it but for the time made it unsafe for her to lay on her back for extended periods of time, as it could flop closed cutting off her breathing. Thankfully through cosleeping her life was saved when she stopped breathing and I was able to keep her safe in the following months by keeping her on her side propped right next to me.

What made me so mad about the article is that they are blaming cosleeping for this high rate of SIDS which is ridiculous.
By Katharinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4266, member since Tue Apr 08, 2003
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 01:40 PM
Dr. Sears wrote:

"that sleeping with your baby is actually SAFER than not sleeping with your baby"

www.askdrsears.com . . .
re: drugs, smoking, alcohol - no it's america we can't attack the real problem... (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By MeBeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 521, member since Wed Mar 02, 2011
On Sat Nov 26, 2011 03:29 AM
I just don't understand people getting upset one way or the other, it's none of anybody's business but the mothers' how she chooses to raise her baby, as long as she does so in a way she feels is in the best interest of the child.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16206, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Nov 26, 2011 05:42 AM
Article says milwaukee has a higher infant mortality rate then 30 other countries - How many of those 30 other countries find it normal to sleep with their child? Probably ALL of them - Because it is the norm in almost every other part of the world.

You just interjected your own opinion. I don't think that all 30 countries find it normal to sleep with their child. Where are the statistics of countries co-sleeping? I couldn't find an independent study...only doctors that wrote papers on promoting cosleeping and they were on co sleeping and family websites. I feel that is a bit biased.

Otherwise I don't really have an opinion on this topic. If I had a child I would never sleep with it. I don't feel it would have allowed ME enough sleep and to co-sleep until the kid is 3-4 years old FORGET ABOUT IT. I love bed time with my husband and feel that takes priority especially when we don't have time for one another during the day. I would have done a side car set up for a few months until sleep pattern was regulated. Maybe its because that is how I was raised, all 8 of my nieces and nephews were raised that way and my 2 best friends did that with their kids. Just what seemed to work and was more natural for my circle of friends.

ReplySendWatch