Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Dystopian fiction! (karma: 1)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 05:23 AM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-11-16 05:25:53

After recently re-reading Brave New World, I'm on a dystopian fiction kick. I just devoured Jasper Fforde's Shades of Gray (one of my freaking favorite authors ever, btw - Thursday Next is nothing short of genius).

I'm not really sure where to go from here. I wasn't a fan of Fahrenheit 451, but Vonnegut is fun - especially Galapagos (which is not really a dystopia, granted). I'm not crazy about Margaret Atwood. Loved Children of Men. Aldous' work is my favorite, though. And, of course, The Giver, as far as juvenile fiction goes... I should re-read that actually, though I have no idea where my copy has gotten to.

So! Gimme your tired, your hungry, your poor, your despotic dystopias, DDNers! I need books to read.

34 Replies to Dystopian fiction!

re: Dystopian fiction!
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 06:47 AM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2011-11-16 07:07:34 added linke
You should read Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and tell me how it is, it is a series I thought about starting but haven't yet.

But for books I have actually read, lets see... how about The Road by Cormac McCarthy... although I think maybe in another thread you mentioned not liking McCarthy, might have been someone else. You said you like Huxley, have you read The Island?

My first experience ever with dystopian fiction was the short story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. Talk about sticking with me, if you haven't read it, find it online or something.

I am sure as soon as I hit post I will think of more.

Here is a pretty good list
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:39 AM
If you're re-reading The Giver, be sure to give the sequels a read too (Gathering Blue and Messenger).
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 PM
hooray4jj wrote:

You should read Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and tell me how it is, it is a series I thought about starting but haven't yet.

I've read Uglies, Pretties, and I think Specials (it was a while ago), and I really liked all of them. They're written for teenagers, so it's sort of a lighter read for an adult, but I thought they were still very good books--I finished Uglies in a day or two, I was so into it.
By OMGjaimyemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:39 PM
The Hunger Games.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 01:01 PM
I'm going to 2nd:

Hunger Games

The Uglies / Pretties / Specials / Extras (The Extras is my favorite, but it's not really Dystopian, it's in the aftermath of the first 3 books).

The Lottery (Shirley Jackson) - I had a similar experience to the previous poster...it was one of my first experiences with dystopian fiction and it threw me for a loop. There's also another short story I remember reading in 7th grade that was weird and dystopian however I can't remember the title. Maybe I'll e-mail my old teacher.

And, I enjoyed "Ender's Game" and the entire series and shadow series, however, it is not a rigid dystopian series, however, it is very cynical about a lot of things and because the location of a lot of the books are in space, there is a feel of a different culture of right/wrong than on Earth.

For some other stuff that I think of as "similar" to some dystopian books I've read, although they may not be dystopian themselves.

House of Stairs by William Sleator

Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner

The Water Wars by Cameron Stratcher (I didn't love it, but it's dystopian, for sure)

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind. (These books are LONG, so if you're looking for something to really take some time to read, it's a good way to try.)
By Sumayah
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 01:26 PM
I'm going to second Ender's Game series - in the same vein, the Halo books are surprisingly good. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep also lends itself to being more sci-fi, but is set in that dystopian, post-apocalyptic world.
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 04:14 PM
Don't forget Orwell's "1984"

And possibly Orwell's "Burmese Days", but arguably that could be classified as historic fiction rather than dystopian.
By Spiorad
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 04:24 PM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2011-11-16 16:32:13 Sight and site are not the same thing
If you do not have a goodreads.com account I highly recommend getting one. I have discovered some really awesome books thanks to that site!

Here is a list of dystopian novels that people on goodreads voted on: www.goodreads.com . . .
By happytappynat
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 04:44 PM
Divergent by Veronica Roth :)it is and amazing book, it looks huge, but it took my a day to read its great!! :)
By OvertheOcean
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 06:39 PM
Another one for the Hunger Games, and then there's also a series with only the first book out right now called Shades of Grey, by Jasper Fforde. I really liked that one.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 01:55 AM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2011-11-17 02:03:43
The Passage by Justin Cronin. It looks like a vampire novel, but just trust me. It's fantastic. And long, but I still wasn't ready for it to end. Such a good book.

Oooh...does The Stand by Stephen King count? It's by far his best novel. I love it. It's post-apocalyptic and great.

And Blindness by Jose Saramago, if that Latin American mysticism thing is your bag.

re: Dystopian fiction! (karma: 1)
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 01:58 AM
Edited by Odessa (22571) on 2011-11-17 02:01:54
madmilt wrote:

Don't forget Orwell's "1984"

Seriously. Why has it taken THIS long for someone to mention Nineteen Eighty Four? Read it. It's amazing!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 02:32 AM
^ This is true, 1984 is close to the top in regards to best dystopian fiction. I think I had assumed that some of the best are widely read. Taking that assumption out, let me recommend some other well known options that have not been mentioned.

Animal Farm
Lord of the Flies
A Clockwork Orange
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials series)
Watership down
The Time Machine (more sci fi)
Slaughterhouse-Five, Player Piano and Cat's Cradle (you mentioned Vonnegut but not sure if you have read these)

Someone in another thread was talking about Battle Royale by Koushun Takami which looks promising. Megan mentioned Blindness which sounds really good, there is a movie with the same name with Julianne Moore which was really good that I assume was based on the book.
By PureTapPremium member
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 03:08 AM
Edited by PureTap (198987) on 2011-11-17 03:55:42 Still getting used to the bloody iPad keyboard - no sensory feedback which is a killer for a touch typist!
Definitely second A Clockwork Orange - probably one of the most dystopic ones I've ever read, and I've read a lot of both dystopia & sci-fi over the years.

I'm currently reading the Tomorrow, When The War Began series at the moment by John Marsden. Although technically written for teenagers, it's still a brilliant series. Also a very true depiction of Australian country teenagers in the 80's/90's, but there is a lot of Aussie slang in them.

Cheers
Di
re: Dystopian fiction! (karma: 1)
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 03:38 AM
Ben Elton - This Other Eden
By moara
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 06:08 AM
Edited by moara (97529) on 2011-11-17 06:49:02
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham is a less well known classic. I love it because it doesn't leave that sour taste in your mouth that some dystopian novels do, while still exploring dystopian themes and ideas.

I also really loved The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson. Stephenson's a great writer.

Oh and also The Otherland series by Tad Williams. Is epic. He takes four books to bring everything to a conclusion, but it's really satisfying when it all comes together at the end. Some else has said it's "much more subtle and nuanced (and plausible) than the standard cyberpunk dystopia" and I think that's a good description of it.

Well, I thought I didn't read much Dystopian fiction, but these are some of my favourite novels, so I guess I am a fan.
By FairytaleGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 08:57 AM
A Handmaids Tale

Great women ornetated dystopian fantasy!
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 AM
(1Q84 is on my list to read.. yes Q, go look it up!)

I cannot recommend "Never Let Me Go" highly enough. It actually took me about a week to decide that I liked it, because it was such a freaky book that I couldn't decide.

I think the best way to describe this book, is that it left me feeling haunted. Ugh.. I need to go re-read this.
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 04:11 PM
Yep, yep... I've read 1984 and Animal Farm, the Lowry sequels (so not as good as Giver), and O. Scott Card's Ender/Xenocide series and Pullman's His Dark Materials (neither of which are truly ~dystopian~, I wouldn't think).

Definitely will go through these rec's later - I've heard oodles about Hunger Games, I really must read it I suppose!
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 17, 2011 06:44 PM
^Ach, I had to read 1984 for school and I hated it. The rats...

I'm in the middle of reading 'Shatter Me' by Tahereh Mafi. So far it's really good, I love the way it's written.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 18, 2011 09:57 PM
I reinforce the recommendations of;
Uglies/Pretties/Specials/Extras
Hunger Games
By DancingCheergirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:01 AM
Definitely The Hunger Games.

Also check out Matched by Ally Condie. It was a good book and the second one just came out but I have yet to find a copy at the library. It's called Crossed.
On Tue Nov 29, 2011 06:09 PM
Just devoured Hunger Games in a day. SO GOOD! Not, like, absolutely stupendous best ever good, but definitely VERY good and doesn't read like YA fiction at all. I have happily discovered that Pirate Bay has an eBooks section, so I'm scooping up the sequels, the Giver and Ender's Game (can't find where my copies of them are) and I'll be looking for Uglies as well... oh boo, it's only in pdf. I have a Sony Reader, which takes epub. I'll try it, maybe.

Loving all the suggestions :D
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 18, 2012 01:20 PM
Douglas R. Mason's 'Eight Against Utopia'. It's been so long since I read it, though, I can't remember if it was any good.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch