Forum: Adults / Married Life

Married Life
Why I Love My Mate (karma: 5)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Nov 18, 2011 01:53 PM

Image hotlink - 'http://www.yourfunnypics.com/funnypictures/images/comments/Quotes/I%20love%20my%20husband.gif'

I honestly believe that marriage is not for the faint of heart.

On any given day, we might change the "L" word, and really mean it!

Let's try to be positive today, and list just five things we love about our mates.

1) He always washes my car without being asked.

2) He's kind to my parents and siblings when they act like jerks, fools, or both.

3) He doesn't hold a grudge.

4) He doesn't pretend that sex doesn't matter.

5) He loves me when I'm miserable and even I don't love me.

Keep On Dancing*

17 Replies to Why I Love My Mate

re: Why I Love My Mate (karma: 2)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Nov 18, 2011 02:41 PM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2011-11-18 14:44:28
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2011-11-18 15:11:27 Not dying.
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2011-11-18 15:14:22
Edit - I forgot the most important thing. He saved my life.

1) He always brings me a taste of his food when he cooks for himself. A bite of steak, usually. Even if I'm upstairs - and he loves to eat his food scorching hot, so the effort of bringing it up the stairs while his own food goes cold is immense.

2) Same stupid sense of humour. Your mom's got the same stupid sense of humour. You're being ridiculous. Your face is ridiculous. Stop being a knobmunch. Your arse... yeah alright babe I get the idea!!! We replace words with the names of footballers and celebritays. John Barnes-it = go round the back. I'm Romeo = I'm dunne/done. That's a shay = it's a given. Love you, chickentits. Love you too, turkeytezzers. I can't explain it, we just completely get each other and we laugh all the time. We'll never argue, ever, cos we just dissolve laughing whenever we get close to it.

3) He has learnt Irish dancing terminology even though "it's weird what you do, isn't it?" He knows what a feis is and how to spell/pronounce it, he knows that there is such thing as a slip jig. He's a bit stuck on the High Cauled Cap though, I think he said something about a cat called top hat the other day.

4) We're saving for a house and he's worked cats into the budget. He was terrific with the wedding planning, too. Colour coded spreadsheets and everything. I'm so glad he was involved.

5) He loves me. That's a pretty good reason to love somebody back. He's never loved anybody before. He made such a lovely speech. "As you will know if you've seen her with any dog."
re: Why I Love My Mate (karma: 1)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Fri Nov 18, 2011 04:49 PM
YES! Great idea!

1. He's the sweetest dad in the world. The first full sentence Evelyn put together was "I love Daddy!" because she had heard "I love Evie!" so much from him. I'm so happy that my son has him to emulate to learn how to BE a man... I couldn't ask for a better role model for Digory.

2. He treats ME like a queen, but doesn't spoil me... He knows when I need him to be sensitive and when I need him to tell me to get over it. Because of my personality, I NEED someone that'll bring me back to planet earth every once in a while :)

3. He listens to me rant/whine/complain even when I think he couldn't care less. He listens because he knows that I really just need someone to talk it out with to straighten out my own thoughts.

4. Like Louise, he encourages me in dance! He REALLY doesn't 'get' the Irish Dance world, so to hear him tell me how proud he is of me going to feisanna and still working on competing at the Oireachtas just melts my little heart. He doesn't understand it, but he knows it's important to me so he makes an effort to cheer me on.

5. (and here's where we get mushy gushy)... He stuck by my side when I went through a really difficult time. Due to the nature of the circumstances, he actually had a very valid reason to leave me and ended up not only sticking by me, but defended me against people that accused me of being a liar and a cheater. He'll always be my knight in shining armor because, given the chance, he always tries to slay my (metaphorical) dragons.

Aw, now I'm going to call him and remind him how much I appreciate him. I have such a wonderful hubby! :D
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Fri Nov 18, 2011 04:59 PM
Whenever I talk about my husband, I tend to talk too much, that's why I usually don't do it! So now there's a thread where I can do this? Ohhh!

1. He loved me at first sight and admitted the first thing he noticed about me was my bodily assets, lol! Then my eyes and smile. Which brings me to number 2.

2. Unfailingly honest. Honest to a fault. He would have been a knight centuries ago, or at least what a knight should have been. He's also the most honorable man I know and he still believes in things like reputations and telling the truth no matter the consequences.

3. He's a versatile music man. He can make and produce it all. Rap, rock, metal, blues, he can do it all. He's very talented and modest about it. He can play several instruments, yet almost no one knows.

4. He's always open to learning and making personal changes if he realizes it's necessary for him to do so. He's very introspective and if he realizes he's on the wrong course, he will admit it and change direction. For instance, he's willing to look our son in the eye and say, "Daddy made a mistake, daddy's sorry." Also before we had our son, he hadn't a clue as far as what to do with children. Now he can take care of an infant and several other children at the same time! He doesn't subscribe to his father's foolish thoughts on 'women's work'.

5. He's considerate and supportive of me. He will ask me if I'm tired, he'll rub my back if I'm hurting. He tells me he loves me every day. I'm the one in the relationship that has to be bugged about saying it every day! When I go to teach my class, he comes in from work tired and takes on our son straight away and I'm out the door. He wants my goals to work out. If I'm troubled, he'll pray with me to make me feel better.

I'll stop at 5 because that's what was asked for!
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Fri Nov 18, 2011 08:28 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-11-18 21:24:10
I'm really seriously annoyed with mine right now, but ok, I'll try.

He's not home much, but when he is he fixes things. This time he's already fixed the fence, my showerhead, my sink faucets, the laundry room light, the garage door opener, he wintered the pool and the yard, cleaned all five cars inside and out, rotated tires on one car, he hung up the Christmas lights and has the boxes with the other decorations ready to come down from the attic, plus he has a list he's still working on.

And as you may have guessed, he's a very hard worker.

He always puts the paycheck in my bank account.

He does things for my aging parents. Tomorrow he is going to go down to mow about two acres.

He doesn't grumble (too much) when I take my kids on trips, even though he doesn't go with us.

kk~
By cheerspirit Comments: 3843, member since Thu Apr 29, 2004
On Fri Nov 18, 2011 09:42 PM
1. He's super protective of me, the kids, the house, etc.. If there is a weird noise outside he will grab a bat and go charging! If someone is speeding down our street, he will follow them home to have a talk with them. I feel very secure with him in my life.
2. The man can build/fix anything. He knows cars, construction, computers, you name it, he can do it. My family is ALWAYS asking for some kind of help.
3. Loves me how I am, big booty and all. I've actually asked him a few times to not be so supportive of my weight, so that I would jumpstart a change. No dice. He says "well, if it will make you happier, do it. But I love your body"! I'm groaning, but my heart is melting, too!
4. He is very outgoing and funny. It all kind of falls together. People love him. He's a charmer, for sure. Life of any party.
5. Ridiculously smart. He knows about everything. You can have a lengthy conversation with him about anything. He has a ton of "little known facts" and various information about the most obscure things! I'm always saying things like "I don't know how a laser gun works, kids. Ask your dad". He's a walking, talking wikipedia.
By Summer Comments: 1255, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 PM
1. He balances me out. I have a tendency to be too serious sometimes, and he can knock me right out of it. Also, when I have a bad day and I'm in tears, he'll take care of that too.

2. We can talk about absolutely anything. Really. There's no subject that I can think of that I haven't brought up to him for fear of conflict. It's not that we don't have conflict--we just are able to talk about things really well.

3. He vacuums, does the dishes and makes the bed. I love the fact that he takes such pride in keeping our space and our things clean and neat.

4. He is supportive of all my school/career goals. He understands that I'm a serious student and I need my study time :)

5. He would MUCH (like 10,000x more) rather spend Saturday night taking me out for ice cream and then coming home to cuddle on the couch then going to a bar/club with buds. I like that he enjoys being home.
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 753, member since Sat Apr 05, 2008
On Sat Nov 19, 2011 06:42 AM
1. He is a wonderful dad and loves DD so much. He will even sing silly songs to her because she loves it.

2. He emails me at work every day to see how my day is.

3. He asks how ballet class went every time I get home, even though he has no clue what I am talking about most of the time.

4. He puts up with my moodiness and knows when I just need a hug and a cuddle.

5. He is a big kid at heart and still gets giddy and excited about things.

6. He never complains when the house is a mess.

7. He supports me in all my parenting decisions, even when they are "different" like cloth diapers and baby led weaning. And he will defend our decisions to anyone who makes a negative comment.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Nov 19, 2011 03:44 PM
I love this thread, and I have a great husband...have to remind myself to be grateful for everything sometimes.

1. The man knows me like nobody else. He has bought me purses, shoes, and a bought me a fabulous dress recently. Only once has the size of the shoes been 1/2 size off. He can look at ANY menu at ANY restaurant and pick out 2 dishes that I am contemplating. It's nice if I am running late and he's already at the restaurant because I can just text him and say...order me something, I trust you. For a recent date he took me to a Food Truck festival. It was the best date I've ever had with him. He just knows what I'd find fun and intriguing without ever asking me.

2. He thinks I can do anything. He thinks I can teach dance to anyone, he thinks I could start my own fitness studio, he thinks I could go get my PhD, he thinks I am the greatest cook, he thinks I am the most creative scrapbooker ha ha. The man believes in me, my dreams, and is my biggest cheerleader.

3. He loves sports, he played baseball, he is in his college Hall Of Fame for hockey and played semi-pro, he likes red meat, pizza and wings, but also appreciates art and a good spa day!

4. He will ALWAYS admit when he's wrong, and he ALWAYS apologizes for anything that he does that hurts a relationship with anyone. (me, I need to take more lessons in that.)

5. He is freaky talented at movie trivia. He can tell you years movies came out, who is in them, their character names, who directed them etc. We KILL anyone playing Movie Scene It! He's a huge hit at parties because of it.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sat Nov 19, 2011 05:59 PM
What a lovely thread. :) Karma to you, Christine, for starting it!

I love my man because:

1: He's always there for me. He's my rock.

2: He can read my moods even when I'm trying to pretend to myself that I'm fine, and knows when to give supermassive hugs or tickle me til I cheer up.

3: One of his "love languages" is to do things. He cooks, he vacuums, he fixes things, he services my car. He even cleans the toilet. (And he's making an RC Dalek from scratch for Christmas!)

4: He's totally geeky, like me, so a good night in for us is cuddling on the couch watching sci-fi shows, or playing a networked RPG.

5: And he loves me, flaws and all. <3
re: Why I Love My Mate
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat Nov 19, 2011 06:25 PM
All these replies are wonderful. Isn't it funny, that single men say, "What do women want?" ?

Reading these replies, it seems easy to me. L O V E, appreciation, and a true friend. (the housekeepers are a nice bonus, too.)

Keep On Dancing*
re: Why I Love My Mate
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Nov 20, 2011 09:37 AM
OMG...I totally forgot that he does laundry. He does 3 times as many loads as I do and usually puts my clothes away too which is the part I hate the most. He is a keeper!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:29 AM
I love this thread. I've been having some arguments with my husband over the last week and feeling cranky and bitter towards him. And then last night he was attacked by some dogs (he's ok, see debate thread) and all of my anger melted away in an instant. There are about a thousand reason why I love him, here are the requested five:

1) PASSIONATE He is passionate. About everything. This is his greatest, and sometimes worst, trait. But even when he takes it too far I still love this about him. He is passionately interested in things - news, history, music, politics. He is passionate about his beliefs and can debate skillfully. He is passionate about his work and puts his whole effort into everything he does. He is passionate about his art and devotes time to improving his skills. And he is passionate about our son and will go to the ends of the earth for him. One example: When ds got his driver's license, my husband flew out of state to find and buy the safest car for him and drove it all the way back home. And he is passionate about me. I met him in 1980 and he still wants me as much, still loves me as much as the day we met. I'm still swept away by his passion.

2) INTERESTING He is interesting, oh so interesting! His knowledge and insight resides on the brilliant level and he always has something interesting to say, and with a unique slant. We can still talk for hours and hours, even after all these years.

3) RESPONSIBLE He works hard, is very disciplined, has an excellent work ethic and is extremely responsible.

4) SPIRITUAL He is spiritual and prays with me. When we sit down to dinner, even when it's just the two of us, he will take my hands and pray thanks. The first thing he always says is 'thank you for bringing us together'.

5) SENSITIVE He loves animals and children. He'll watch romantic comedy films with me. He keeps water bowls out for the birds and bunnies on our property. He tends to gardens and makes things grow. He landscapes and makes things beautiful.

<3 <3 <3
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Mon Nov 21, 2011 07:10 AM
Oh gosh, I miss mine so much right now (thanks to the USMC) but we'll be together for Thanksgiving and the rest of the weekend, so I'll be okay!

I love so many things about him, but I'll restrain myself from writing every little thing.

1) He's sooo good with kids. He loves them and it broke his heart to leave the kids at church when he left for boot camp. Good thing we want to have a lot of kids ;)

2) He's very selfless. Everyone else always comes first, no matter what.

3) He up and joined the Marine Corps to make our life together better (another example of his selflessness). It sucks right now, but we're getting through this time of being apart and it's honestly not as bad as I thought it would be.

4) He can write beautiful things even though he'll never admit it. He sent me a facebook message recently and it's the first time I ever teared up over what he wrote. He can be sweet when he wants to!

5) When we lived together (that sounds so weird to say that) he always did the laundry. Thank God for that too, because I HATE doing laundry. (I actually think he enjoyed going to do ours because he would meet up with another guy from the apartment complex and they'd go chill up there together.)

6) He's an amazing public speaker. The fact that he loves to talk definitely helps with that. It's a good thing to have, considering he did a lot of speaking and teaching at church.

7) He's such a good cook! I can never just throw stuff together randomly like he does and create something great.
By irishdancer19 Comments: 271, member since Thu Oct 23, 2008
On Mon Nov 21, 2011 03:06 PM
I love this post! There are more then I could ever list at once... but here are five :)

1. Because he's in the Army, we've spent more time apart then we have together. But he still knows me better than anyone. He can practically read my mind 95% of the time (which is not easy considering I'm not easily read)

2. He's about as crazy about keeping the house clean and organized as I am... sometimes maybe more. He cleans, and cooks, and could most definitely take care of himself if he had too. He doesn't rely on me to do everything for him or at home even though he works crazy hours and his job is, of course, incredibly demanding of his time and energy. It makes me that much more happy to take care of him, and he's always appreciative of it.

3. He can make watching or listening to anyone or anything funny and entertaining thanks to his running sarcastic commentary. It helps that we have the exact same sense of humor.

4. Everyday with him seems as great as the last. It never get's old being with him. I'm just as attracted to him and entertained by him as I was the first day we hung out, even more now that he's my other half. He's fun to be around, and easy to talk to, and still has the mentality of a little kid (in a good way). I'm pretty sure even 30 40 years from now, I'll still look at him and feel exactly the same as the 18 year old who fell in love with him.

5. I know he would do anything for me. He would happily do whatever he has to make sure I'm safe, happy, and taken care of. He has always gone out of his way to make things easier for me and make sure I'm as comfortable as possible even though I don't really expect him to. Which means a lot, esp. considering the fact that I usually see it as my responsibility to make sure he's ok, seeing as how he's the one who has to spend long amounts of time at work, away from home, and can at anytime be deployed and put in harms way. So I definitely don't expect him to look at me and see me as being the one who has it rough. Knowing that we see it the same way shows me how much we love each other and put each other before ourselves.

Like I said, I love this post! It's nice to focus on the good things sometimes and be thankful for what we have.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Nov 24, 2011 07:14 AM
1. He supports me and my creative endeavours both financially and emotionally.

2. He pulls his weight around the house without being asked.

3. He gives the most amazing cuddles.

4. He still makes me laugh at the most ridiculous things, even after 13 years.

5. He knows when to step up and protect me (like when he pulled me out of a crowd crush at a music festival), when to be my equal, and when to sit back and let me take the lead.

6. He is more patient with me than I deserve.

7. He is a peacekeeper, both at work and with family. He won't let my parents see they've riled him up.

8. He is a loving father and a great role model for our son.

9. He believes I'm incredibly gorgeous and tells everyone who will listen how he's so lucky to have a "hot wife".

10. He may have made mistakes but he's never let me down.

Helen
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Nov 24, 2011 06:43 PM
1. He has stuck by me when my anorexia came back full force and I started starving myself and exercising to excess. He went to every single therapy appointment with me and told me how much he loved me and how proud he was I was getting help.

2. He doesn't have or want kids.

3. He truly does complete me.

4. He ALWAYS treats me with love and respect, even when we argue.

5. He's not afraid to be blunt with people, nor am I, that's what he loves about me.

6. While it does sometimes hurt, he gives his HONEST opinion.

7. We share pretty much the same political views.

8. He's dead sexy.
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Fri Nov 25, 2011 07:53 PM
- He is an excellent father to both our kids. Our oldest is his step-daughter but my husband and his family treat her as if she were his biological child, and certainly no different from the son we have together.

- He is a good problem solver. He is great to sit down with if you need someone to brainstorm with. He is good at listening and exploring options and calming me down if I have a freak out.

- He is a big help around the house. When we started living together we agreed that he would work full time and I would drop to part-time. Because of this I do most of the stuff around the house, but if I've been busy or he just has a day off he is a huge help with cooking, cleaning and laundry.

- He is freaking hilarious.

- He is one of the most intelligent people I know. He loves learning.

- He has a lot of the same values and core beliefs as I do. Religious, political - we agree on most everything but can still manage to have healthy, informed debates.

- I almost didn't want to write this one because I will sound shallow - but, he spoils me. And I like it. We both work hard for our money and are lucky enough to have some extra cash kicking around. So yeah, I like when he surprises me with random gifts (and not just the big ones!) - and I do the same for him.

- He is practical and good with money (despite the previous point). He takes our financial future seriously.

- He encourages my dancing, even though (like previous posters husbands) he doesn't really 'get it'. He called me at rehearsal the other night and asked if we 'were winning'. I just joined a company and have not actively danced (aside from teaching)during our relationship so he will figure it all out soon!

- Most importantly - he is my best friend!

ReplySendWatch