Poll: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Do you wear your hair up inside or outside of your hat?
By leesheesmom Comments: 416, member since Thu May 22, 2008
On Sun Nov 20, 2011 06:37 AM

I noticed yesterday that most of the dancers had their hair tucked up inside of their hats. I have always done a low bun on hornpipe days, so the hat band could sit on the bun to hold it in place. I just like the look. Is there any regulation about this? Thanks for answering!

8 Replies to Do you wear your hair up inside or outside of your hat?

re: Do you wear your hair up inside or outside of your hat?
By highlandmum67 Comments: 379, member since Fri Apr 25, 2008
On Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:41 AM
My DD's have either had their hair in a bun up inside the hat or when their hair was layered i french braided it with the braids pinned up below the hat. I have seen girls with a bun below the hat and in knowing a couple of them this is done as their hair is long and thick and a bun would be impossible to fit under the hat. All have placed well at the premier level regardless of which they have chosen.
By SaintAndroid Comments: 1, member since Tue Nov 08, 2011
On Fri Nov 25, 2011 04:58 PM
I've almost always tucked my hair inside my hat. When wearing a bun I always make sure the bun is high enough on my head to go inside the hat. There are a few times when I was younger that I had a french braid and there was no need but I prefer a bun to a french braid anyway.
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Wed Dec 21, 2011 02:44 AM
I keep my bun (wearing it really quite high) and I put my hat over it. If I'd wear the bun outside the hat, I'd have to wear the bun low and I just don't like that look much.
By gaelicmommy Comments: 36, member since Sun Jun 20, 2010
On Mon May 07, 2012 02:58 PM
we can't seem to fit my daughters hat on if we keep her hair in a bun, so we keep it in a pony tail and just wrap it around.
By wilter Comments: 24, member since Thu Sep 08, 2011
On Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:09 AM
Wow, I wasn't aware there were so many options to this. Thanks for the info!
By gordonghillies Comments: 31, member since Thu May 17, 2012
On Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 PM
I have seen both hairstyles for the hornpipe, but when I am dancing I have my hair in a bun inside my hat. Normally when I dance the hornpipe in competition it is almost always the first dance, so as oppose to struggling to put my hair in a bun right after I dance, I put my bun as high as I can to make my hair fit inside my hat.
By littlemc Comments: 13, member since Wed Aug 01, 2012
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 05:28 PM
I have always put my hair inside my hat. It just stays out of your face and looks neat. I dont think I have ever seen a dancer with hair down for the HP- for jig yes... but not hornpipe. :)
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Tue Mar 11, 2014 01:17 PM
I think it depends on the length and thickness of your hair, either way works though.

ReplySendWatch