Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Starting Pointe worries
By mrsmorganrose
On Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:33 AM

so I have to decide wheather or not i want to do a summer pointe class and even though I think pointe looks so beautiful and fun, i'm concerned with the injuries/pain that goes along with it. My friends who do point say that when you get new pointe shoes you can lose your toe nails and break your ankles. So is pointe something I should do?The work and dedication isn't an issue with me because I know I can handle another class. I'm just looking for some adivce/ options, thanks!

4 Replies to Starting Pointe worries

re: Starting Pointe worries
By RosePremium member
On Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:43 AM
If you're not doing pointes yet, a summer intensive is not something to think about now.
First ask your teacher if she thinks you're ready for pointes. If so, she will decide how and when you start this training.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 AM
Lidwina is right: Your TEACHER and perhaps your doctor need to both agree that you are ready for pointe before you even think about it. After all you need to make sure that your bones, your muscles, and your dance technique is up to scratch before you even start pointe.

Also, keep in mind that you can be a beautiful dancer without pointe. You should feel no obligation to do so. However, especially in beginning dancers, there may be pain but breaking ankles and lost toe nails are NOT the norm. Bruising yes, blisters yes, but broken ankles no.

Talk to your doctor and your teacher and see if they think your body and coordination is ready for pointe yet or note. If they think you are ready, you might think of starting in the Fall, and spending spring and summer to prepare for it.
By brittannia_caru
On Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:59 PM
Pointe is definitely something you need to build towards. May I ask how many ballet classes you do a week. You need to be doing a reasonable amount as well as if you begin pointe you should really just start with maybe 30 minutes after one of your classes once a week to start. But I agree with the others, you should ask your teacher if she thinks your feet are strong enough to start. Also if you have all these doubts and misconceptions in your head perhaps you should wait to start. You need to be confident and some what comfortable because you may have a hard time starting and balancing etc but you need to trust your self and be strong technique wise. I can tell you right now your feet aren't going to be the prettiest after you start but its all worth it :)!
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 14, 2011 03:48 PM
Edited by Coccinella (54968) on 2011-12-14 15:48:36
My friends who do point say that when you get new pointe shoes you can lose your toe nails and break your ankles.

Your friend either don't know what they are talking about or they are just trying to scare you. Sure, I know that toenails occasionally fall off from doing pointe work, but to say that people often break their ankles? Not an actual beginning pointe student, maybe someone fooling around with pointe shoes at home.

We don't know what kind of dancer you are, but if you have a quality teacher at a good studio and she has said you are ready than you should trust in that and give it a try if you are wanting to.

ReplySendWatch