Forum: Arts / Pets

Cat with allergies and possibly IBS?
By Sumayah
On Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:47 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-11-27 23:01:06 clarification
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-11-27 23:11:07 oh yeah one more thing
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-11-27 23:16:43 clarification
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-11-28 01:13:16 Posting on the phone is bad, and redoes your edits and undoes others apparantly. Interesting.

I've done a fair amount of googling on the subject, and while I know my cat has allergies, I'm 90% sure he also might have irritable bowel syndrome. Before I call and make an appointment with my vet so they run expensive blood tests, I've been doing some looking around for alternatives they might suggest first.

I've switched him off of regular food and he's currently eating a fish, wheat, corn and soy free dry food. I got some Runi-poo as most of the sites on IBS recommended it, but he hasn't been on it long enough yet to make a difference. From past experience, I know cortisone shots don't help his allergies for more than a couple days before he's congested and his eyes are oozing mucus. He's also a very skittish and easily upset creature, so I know his nervous disposition isn't helping matters either. He gets plenty of water and has a healthy appetite. I feed him and his sister 2/3c of food daily (appropriate for their weight and size). Neither cat is losing or gaining weight. He doesn't have hairballs or vomit often (he used to regurgitate his food all the time because he'd eat without chewing and stuff himself until he made himself sick - yes my cat was bulimic). I gave him a bath a few days ago to help with the dander and his coat is shiny and healthy; B jokes that he's allergic to himself and honestly I think there's some truth to that.

He regularly has diarrhea and when it hits, he goes where ever he may be, so I'm constantly cleaning up (read: scrubbing out) cat mess off the carpet and steam cleaning the carpet. He's an absolute sweetheart, loves to get in my lap and cuddle and wants to be on or next to me all the time. I want to work out his health issues, but I will say cleaning up messy cat crap daily is getting old. Any advice or experience to share? I will take him to the vet soon, but when I've mentioned his delicate constitution before, it has been met with few real useful suggestions. I'd rather not spend money at the vet to be told, well he looks healthy and hasn't dropped any weight, just keep trying what you're trying and keep us updated (like the last time when I took him in for the binging and purging). Help?

Eta: When I say "switched" him off his food to a new one, I don't mean all at once. I eased him off the old food while slowly introducing the new food in and little by little I added less old food and more new food until he was completely switched over. Trust, I've been dealing with his sensitive system for some years now. It was my changing them to a set food ration each day that stopped the purging, not the 1/4 pill of Pepcid AC the vet recommended. However once the purging stopped the diarrhea began. :/ My poor broken kitty!

2 Replies to Cat with allergies and possibly IBS?

re: Cat with allergies and possibly IBS?
By CaffeinePremium member
On Mon Nov 28, 2011 05:18 PM
with the allergies, can you isolate it at all? If it's a grass, can you make him an inside-only kitty?

As for the IBS - could the stress of having your MiL and her dog around have triggered the bowel distress?

Definitely get him checked out by a vet just in case. We were petsitting my mum's cats recently, and one of them got sick - foul projectile vom, weird poo, the works (but oddly, seemed happy in himself). The only thing we had really changed was the dry food (Science Diet instead of Whiskas), and he was crook. Vet suspected it was stress and diet-change related, so gave him antibiotics in case there were something else going on, and a prescription food specifically for IBS and digestive issues. It seems to have cleared him up. If your vet says he's fine, you need a new vet.

(And as an aside: it's good to know my cat isn't the only bulimic cat out there - she, too, eats until she pops then barfs everywhere. World's fattest bulimic.)
re: Cat with allergies and possibly IBS?
By Sumayah
On Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:40 PM
Caffeine wrote:

with the allergies, can you isolate it at all? If it's a grass, can you make him an inside-only kitty?

He's strictly an inside kitty. We live close to highways and heavily traveled roads on one side and pasture land on the other, so between the cars and the wild animals, I'd be devastated if anything happened to him outside. He's always had some weird issues. We got him when he wasn't yet a year, but wasn't still super kitten either. He and his sister and their siblings had been fixed and dumped in an apartment parking lot my MiL lived in at the time. Those were the two who frequented her doorstep. We got them all their shots and they see the vet regularly now, but I think he still has a lingering hangover from being so young and having to fend for himself that when you put food out he feels compelled to EAT IT ALL RIGHT NOW because who knows when he might get more. Despite being a housecat for the past 6 or 7 years he still does it.

As for the IBS - could the stress of having your MiL and her dog around have triggered the bowel distress?

I've thought that myself. The diarrhea wasn't as frequent before she got here, but he was still throwing up a lot. Once she moved in, it was all diarrhea all the time. He is a super sensitive kitty, so I think her and the evil dog moving in and then leaving no doubt made him unhappy.

Definitely get him checked out by a vet just in case. We were petsitting my mum's cats recently, and one of them got sick - foul projectile vom, weird poo, the works (but oddly, seemed happy in himself). The only thing we had really changed was the dry food (Science Diet instead of Whiskas), and he was crook. Vet suspected it was stress and diet-change related, so gave him antibiotics in case there were something else going on, and a prescription food specifically for IBS and digestive issues. It seems to have cleared him up. If your vet says he's fine, you need a new vet.

I will, as I said, I'm trying the stuff they're going to tell to try first before I have to pay money. I'd rather go in saying, here's what I've done, here's what I've tried, and here's the results so they have a jumping off point of action.

I think the allergies also play a huge part in his tummy troubles. I know when my allergies are bad and I have a lot of drainage, my body reacts poorly, so I can understand why he'd react poorly as well. We've tried the cortisone shot but that was basically a waste of money. Bathing him helped for a few days, but the gunk in his eyes and nose is back. Also he hated bath time. I think he thought he was going to die. However bath time being stressful did nothing to help the nervous, upset constitution regardless of resulting less itchy dander.

(And as an aside: it's good to know my cat isn't the only bulimic cat out there - she, too, eats until she pops then barfs everywhere. World's fattest bulimic.)

Switching to the 1/3C of food per cat a day solved that for me. It took them several day of walking around the house mournfully yelling "I'M STARVING!" "WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME ANYMORE?" "FEED ME, I BEG OF YOU FEED ME!!!!" "I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU SO MUCH!!" "I'M WASTING AWAY! GAH!" before they acclimatized to the once a day limited food supply. Since then, no more bulimia!

ReplySendWatch