Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Advanced & Professional Ballet
How to get the job (karma: 1)
By RosePremium member Comments: 9216, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:42 PM

I just read an article in Dance Europe (Oct. 2010), called "How I got the job". Nine young dancers give tips on how to get a position in a ballet company. Want to share them with you, so here they come!

1 - Some had auditions where they performed the best ever, but they didn't get the job. Others felt they were horrible, just struggled to the end and then got the job! "Maybe directors like people who don't give up?"

2 - Add a thumbnail portrait to your CV, it's helpful for the directors memory,

3 - Add impressive photos. They won't make you get the job, but do make the director remember you.

4 - Put down some experience, even if it was just rehearsing with a company without performing. "From then on I got job offers".

5 - Ask for a privat audition. Much more chance to be seen as between 300 others. (Or even 700!)

6 - Contact anyone you know close to or in the company. Ask for information about the company (always usefull to know more), and your contact will tell the director you're interested.

7 - Skirts usually have to be taken off. Do research and you can find what dress code the director likes: basic or striking, more or less make up, bun or French role.

Someone is now dancing in Disneyland Paris. Maybe not the first choice for a classical trained dancer, but she is happy with it. "There are 2 classes a day and they are actually very good. The studios are huge, with proper dance floor and barres. We get two days off a week and I have found a really good teacher in Paris." (Meaning, don't be to picky about where you want to dance. Others than ballet companies can give you a great training / experience too).

2 Replies to How to get the job

re: How to get the job
By noachkamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2116, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Fri Dec 02, 2011 06:41 AM
Great! Thanks for posting, I will be saving this. Useful information and also some new ideas/advice :)

Karma coming your way!
re: How to get the job
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 855, member since Mon Jan 23, 2012
On Sat Jan 28, 2012 04:07 AM
Audition information is always good information! Thanks for posting! :)

ReplySendWatch