Wanted disco kid ticket any day money waiting xx

Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Children & Parenting
Influenza Iza Comin'! (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5235, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 AM

As many of you know, I work as a nurse in an ER.

It's that time of year - we're starting to get a handful of positive influenza tests back each day, many in small children under 10 who are severely dehydrated and requiring mass fluid resuscitation, nausea medications, and hospital admissions.

Please, consider vaccinating yourselves and your children against the flu. Many get mild symptoms that pass in a few days without hospitalization, but this year my hospital has been seeing more and more children and elderly being hit with nasty, nasty symptoms.

Obviously vaccinations are controversial; I'm just asking you to weigh the pros and cons of the flu shot in your own life and the life of those around you.

Wash your hands, don't touch your face, wipe down counters and shopping cart handles, eat well, sleep well, and stay healthy!

42 Replies to Influenza Iza Comin'!

re: Influenza Iza Comin'! en>fr fr>en
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4076, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:24 PM
^ We are getting an awful lot of pneumonias here but most are saying they started with a cough or cold and just went downhill from there.

In the UK flu jabs are free for those in 'high risk' categories these include people who:

•are 65 years old or over

•are pregnant

•have a serious medical condition (see below)

•are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility (not including prisons, young offender
institutions or university halls of residence)

•are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill

•are a frontline health or social care worker (see below)

If you are not on this list but feel it would be beneficial to you contact your GP and explain why - you may be able to get one for free or have to pay a minimal charge of between £10-£20. Vaccinations are also available in most large chemists, and in-store chemists in larger supermarkets.

Health Conditions
•chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as severe asthma, COPD or bronchitis
•chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
•chronic kidney disease
•chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
•chronic neurological disease, such as a stroke, TIA or post-polio syndrome
•diabetes
•a weakened immune system due to conditions such as HIV, or treatments that suppress the immune system such as chemotherapy

Source: NHS Choices www.nhs.uk . . .
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:55 PM
Yep, we're getting tons of pneumonias, too. We don't test for the flu in those cases, but I'm sure a handful of them started as the flu (and the others rhinovirus/hayfever/URI). It's gearing up to be a nasty winter season...
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7708, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 02:04 PM
Won't touch the flu shot with a 10 foot pole myself and am choosing not to for my daughter as well.

To each their own but I personally don't feel like spending the entire winter sick again (happened the last time I got the flu shot).

I have no issue with those that are immune compromised getting the shot, just don't feel the need to get it myself. Yes I know that also means that I can get others sick, but I'm making the choice not to put that crap in my body and kill my immune system.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6250, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 02:05 PM
I've been laid rather low with this all this fall. My wheezing and hacking cough could qualify me for a Nyquil commercial. I'm on my 2nd round of anti-biotics. I was just about over it when we took care of our 3 year old grandson. Three days later I had "Pink eye" which he had and the rhinitis/sinusitis/chest congestion started over again. It's under better control now by I still get random attacks.

As I told my doctor: "I survived a heart attack, six angio jobs, a defib inplant, cancer twice, don't let me die of post-nasal drip!"

BTW I've had both the flu and pneumonia shots. According to my MD it is rather epidemic here. When one of my grandsons was sick the pediatrician told my daughter "unless his temperature is above 104, don't bring him in.

Jon
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7708, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 02:08 PM
The flu shot is actually free here... and come to think of it this is the first year that my doctor has asked me if I wanted it. I flat out refused the H1N1 shot 2 years ago when I was pregnant too.

I don't know why but I've never seen the point of certain vaccinations.
By Tansey Comments: 2234, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 02:17 PM
I get the flu shot every year. The one year I missed (due to a shortage of vaccine) I got the flu. I never want to be that sick again, ever. I will be getting this season's shot tomorrow. My town is offering them for free to all residents.
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 02:24 PM
We actually ended up having a surplus of vaccines a few years in a row... seems people aren't responding to the government advertising/propaganda as well as they though.
They must have a massive advertising budget.
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1904, member since Wed Feb 23, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 04:40 PM
Great reminder! I've gotten the vaccine every year for the past 4 years, and never had any adverse effects and never got the flu.

DG-- I'm really curious about this- does your department routinely test for influenza, or is the diagnosis based on clinical symptoms? I thought that RT-PCR or immunofluorescence-based assays were too costly to use on a routine basis, and that the presence of the virus was not typically demonstrated in most diagnoses of influenza. (RT-PCR and immunofluorescence are very cheap to use for research, so I'm always surprised by how expensive they become when used for diagnostic purposes). Or are there other, cheaper tests for the flu virus around?
re: Influenza Iza Comin'! (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6373, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:08 PM
Flu shot for the second year in a row! I always dread it a bit because I end up feeling really awful for like the 24 hours later, but way better than being laid out for a week plus later! And way better than infecting others! Don't vaccinate for yourself...vaccinate for others. I can probably fight off the flu...but the same can't be said for small children and grandparents :(
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:12 PM
On this one I chose to be selfish... I would prefer not to spend the rest of the winter sick after getting the shot. I just don't trust it. I'll take my chances with the flu... if others that are prone to it don't get the shot, well thats just their problem and not mine. Hate to sound cruel, but it's the way I feel.

And yes I am the mother of a small child, who will not be getting a flu shot till she is old enough to make that decision for herself.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16130, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:14 PM
Done and done! I am a bit obsessive when it comes to hand washing. I really should count one day, just for funsies.

I won't get into the controversial side of this PSA. Did that a couple years ago and it was one of those messy threads.

kk~
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:16 PM
^ to each their own I won't knock anyone for getting it... I just chose not to do it myself.

Simple solution really is if you are sick stay home unless you need to go to emerg. That keeps the spread down now doesn't it.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6373, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:19 PM
I just chose not to do it myself.

I get it. You don't want the flu shot. You've made your choice and I respect it. I'm encouraging others to consider getting the flu shot.
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:57 PM
Mendel wrote:

DG-- I'm really curious about this- does your department routinely test for influenza, or is the diagnosis based on clinical symptoms?
No idea what the specific test is - all I know is we do a nasal washing (aka suck boogers out with some saline and a syringe) and send it down to the lab with a test that says "Influenza A/B" lol. Results come back in about 1 hour. We only do it on sick people. If you come in with a low grade fever/malaise/not feeling well, we tell you to go home and rest and drink fluids because you probably have a virus. We test the people who come in with bad fevers, listless, nausea, can't eat or drink, feel like 100% crap, etc. So it's "routine," but we don't dole them out like candy - you have to actually be sick.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 07:16 PM
We didn't get the shot here either....and probably won't either.

BUT I'm pretty sure we already had a case of flu here.....so yeah.
re: Influenza Iza Comin'! (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33914, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 08:55 PM
^Jim had it last year. When you've got it, you know.

James has asthma, fairly mild, but he's asthmatic just the same, and I pretty much don't get out alive without committing to getting the shot at a certain point. He's also got a history of poor reactions to shots.

Llama, you keep saying "to each his own", but every other post on this thread is yours, grunting about how you're selfish, and you refuse to get the shot, and you can't believe anybody would fall for the propaganda, or whatever. If you were as at peace with the decision as you claim you are, you wouldn't be working so hard to defend it...from the exactly NOBODY that challenged it. Settle down. You refuse to get the flu shot. We all got your message loud and clear the first time.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6143, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 09:07 PM
We all had the flu about 10 years ago and I hope to never get it again. I've never felt so awful. Worst headache and body aches of my life, including the time I fell down the stairs and had post concussion syndrome...that headache was horrible and lasted for 8 months and the neck injury was severe, but the flu, with the fever and everything else was even worse. I've never been so sick.

I did get my flu shot this year, as I do every year, and this time it was much rougher than any I'd had before. My arm felt like I'd had a tetanus shot, was hot and swollen, and I had a general crappy feeling for 4 or five days. Still...it was NOTHING compared to the real flu. I'm so glad I got it. Last year they ran out and it was so stressful trying to find them.

Keep On Dancing*
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3021, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 09:45 PM
I got the flu 3 years ago and definitely thought I was dying. I honestly never knew exactly what the flu was like until then. So the next year I decided to get the flu shot, especially since I had a new niece that was just born. Yeah that stupid shot got me sick. I figure I can't win either way.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8463, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 PM
I've had to get a flu shot for work for the last 3 years, and was highly encouraged to get one by co-workers for the last 6 years. With everything else going on in my life, including the myriad of medical problems, the flu is the LAST thing I need. I probably would have gotten one even if I didn't have to get one for work.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6043, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:11 PM
I don't remember the last time I didn't get a flu shot. I got a really nasty stomach virus last year (even with my flu shot--I'm assuming the shot doesn't cover norovirus?), so this year I'm kinda paranoid about washing my hands and bleaching when I clean. I really really don't want that bug again. :?
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3021, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 PM
stomach flu =/= influenza. So no, the flu vaccine does not protect against Gastroenteritis (norovirus and rotavirus). I googled to see if there is any vaccination for stomach flu and all I really found was this new RotaTeq for infants. So stick with washing hands and bleaching, haha.
By Panda_Bear Comments: 382, member since Tue Feb 02, 2010
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:18 PM
I won't get it because I'm sicker the years I get it and usually end up vomiting after getting it. If I'm sick I'll stay home. If I didn't react I'd consider it but the reaction makes it not worth it for me.
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 08:23 AM
I usually encourage people to actually do research on BOTH sides...

I've had clients ask me what I felt about the flu shot... I simply say, I chose not to get it, but do your research. The government research here the last few years has been a bit lacking... The flu shots the last few years haven't been the most effective.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8866, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 08:59 AM
Theresa wrote:

^Jim had it last year. When you've got it, you know.

James has asthma, fairly mild, but he's asthmatic just the same, and I pretty much don't get out alive without committing to getting the shot at a certain point. He's also got a history of poor reactions to shots.

Llama, you keep saying "to each his own", but every other post on this thread is yours, grunting about how you're selfish, and you refuse to get the shot, and you can't believe anybody would fall for the propaganda, or whatever. If you were as at peace with the decision as you claim you are, you wouldn't be working so hard to defend it...from the exactly NOBODY that challenged it. Settle down. You refuse to get the flu shot. We all got your message loud and clear the first time.

Yeah...I'm actually pretty anti-flu shot as a whole, and I noticed that too. Most people already have their own feelings about it, and let's face it...a huge number of people make their decisions based solely on chats with their care provider. No need to raise hackles.

Anyhow, here's wishing everyone a happy and healthy winter season! Regardless of your flu vaccination status, make sure to wash your hands, get enough sleep, eat well and stay in if you get sick (flu or not). :)
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch