Poll: Ballet / Costumes

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
What fabric tights do you prefer
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 427, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Mon Dec 05, 2011 08:23 PM

What fabric do you prefer for your tights? I started out in Hold and Stretches, then discovered Microfiber and never looked back. But I see other kinds like mesh and I wonder what the advantages to those types are. Please vote and then explain why you like the tights that you wear.

(not going into convertible, footed/unfooted here, just what fabric)

27 Replies to What fabric tights do you prefer

re: What fabric tights do you prefer
By ex_gang_girl Comments: 418, member since Sun Jan 17, 2010
On Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:55 PM
Tights made of Supplex are my favorites. Many brands make them including my favorites Bodywrappers.
By DanseAvecMoi Comments: 9, member since Mon Sep 19, 2011
On Fri Dec 09, 2011 01:44 PM
I used to use Roch Valley nylon tights, but have recently switched to Gaynor Minden microfiber ones, and have never looked back! They are so much more comfortable and softer than my previous ones, best tights I've ever had!
By Pinkbubble Comments: 74, member since Fri Apr 29, 2011
On Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:41 AM
I like the microfiber too!
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 427, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Thu Dec 22, 2011 09:02 AM
A few folks voted for mesh. I've never worn them - can anyone tell me the advantages?
By SaidFish Comments: 67, member since Sat Nov 12, 2011
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 AM
Hi.

I still love nylon..so much that I've never tried anything else!I guess you could say my judging is unfair.Not completely against other fabrics,would love to try silk blend tights!

Thanks for the poll:)
By AnRinceoirRuamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 175, member since Mon Dec 20, 2010
On Sat Dec 31, 2011 01:05 AM
I've always used nylon, but now I'm very interested in trying microfiber. Any recommended brands? I need them to be black and very opaque for Irish dance.
By strawberry_ Comments: 20, member since Wed Jan 26, 2011
On Mon Jan 02, 2012 02:42 PM
I love the microfiber tights from the brand Merlet.
By Ballet_Brit Comments: 77, member since Tue May 13, 2008
On Wed Jan 04, 2012 07:26 PM
I know I'm a guy, but would anyone be offended if I added to this post? Plus I also have a dyeing question.
By nicole_1987member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 355, member since Sun Apr 08, 2007
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 08:03 PM
basic bloch thights or microfiber capezio, soft and firm :)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 PM
I love microfiber. I used to like a brand when I was teaching ballet that was soooo soft, but they just didn't hold up. I'd have holes in them so fast. I also prefer the convertible tights. Makes taping toes so much easier.
By Ballet_Brit Comments: 77, member since Tue May 13, 2008
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 05:27 AM
I'm a male and love wearing capezio's men's footed leggings made out of Meryl. Unfortunately, they're now discontinued. I REALLY don't know why companies discontinue anything good that they make and keep manufacturing the crap!!!!
By oldballetdancer Comments: 21, member since Wed Aug 15, 2012
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 03:34 PM
I like the suplex as well and I agree with ballet brit... I loved them as well and as you said they took them off the market.
Dont like the plane nylon ones no stretch and after a few wahings they feel very hard harsh stiff. Like too the blends of lycra and cotton.
By TBalletW Comments: 11, member since Wed Aug 01, 2012
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 03:52 PM
Microfiber are the perfect combination of stretch and softness. I love how they feel and keep a great hold for awhile. I sometimes where my black ones to non-ballet events!
By BeachDancer Comments: 29, member since Tue Sep 18, 2012
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 02:40 AM
My DD definitely prefers microfiber tights!
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1490, member since Mon Sep 09, 2002
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 06:03 PM
i really love the feel and look of the older mesh tights. Danskin's were better than Capezio's, but they don't make them anymore. they aren't too soft and I like the way they move on my legs as opposed to sucking me in and sorta moving sideways against me like the primasoft tights do.

However, I do love how the hold and stretch black tights suck in my legs. and I like that they are cheaper.
By phsquare Comments: 20, member since Sun Mar 29, 2009
On Tue Feb 05, 2013 07:55 AM
I am a microfiber tights guy. I wear women's Capezio ultra soft convertible tights in black to pretty much to every class. I think men's tights are too thick, so I wear women's tights with boy shorts over the top. None of the ladies seem to care.
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:27 AM
Just got hold of some microfibre tights for the first time, since a department store is going out of business and selling them off for just $5, well a pair of them actually since they are around a 60 Denier semi-opaqueness so I prefer to double them up. They feel very different (soft) when first put on and also a bit different (clammy) after having perspired in them, compared to my usual nylon and cotton-lycra duds.

It's good I find to have alternatives to wear depending on what I'm doing / how I'm feeling / how I want to look.
By csontow Comments: 28, member since Fri Mar 28, 2008
On Sat Nov 01, 2014 04:39 AM
Nylon, tight and very form fitting and I like to have some/a little shimmer to them where there just not dull in color- I think it's cute :)
By purpleballerina Comments: 44, member since Fri Jan 06, 2012
On Sun Nov 09, 2014 09:16 AM
I wear primasoft and love them so much. They are so soft!
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat Mar 04, 2017 09:09 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-03-04 09:11:37 Grammar
Nylon everytime! Most of my tights are composed of somewhere between eighty-five to one-hundred percent nylon and the rest is of some other fabric like spandex. I prefer nylon because it feels most wonderful and it is nice and stretchy. Most of my tights have a deneir of about twenty, I think. Anything more sheer than ten is not durable enough for dance, and anything more opaque than forty just doesn't feel right on my skin.

I am however, waiting for an order on some "bamboo" tights. I've never worn bamboo tights before and I am most excited and curious to see what kind of sensation my legs will feel with this new type of fabric.
By giseleballet Comments: 2, member since Fri Mar 10, 2017
On Mon Mar 13, 2017 09:37 AM
I prefer either mesh or microfibre, I love the feel of microfibre but also admire the way mesh looks! I was once given a pair of nylon tights as a gift (Capezio Hold and Stretch) and thought they were horribly uncomfortable; would never purchase them myself.
By Dancertell Comments: 12, member since Sat Apr 01, 2017
On Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:05 PM
Footed nylon Lycra tights
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat May 13, 2017 10:12 AM
Many dancers seem to like the mesh tights, so I'll also agree that mesh feels kind of nice, too. Although, I still prefer the smooth, consistant texture of tights composed mostly of nylon as opposed to the "bumpier" texture of mesh tights. Everybody's skin and nervous systems are most different so I understand that not all materials will feel the same to each person.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun May 14, 2017 06:41 AM
Primarily most of my dance tights are the soft Microfibre that one finds these days. Most of mine are back-seamed Capezio's, but I a sure I have a few pairs of other makers hanging around. I pretty much just wear transition tights to class these days.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch