By Sumayah
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 06:49 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-12-06 07:08:02 Added quotes

Here's the story:
www.regretsy.com . . .
thegreengeeks.wordpress.com . . .
consumerist.com . . .
www.dailykos.com . . .

I have half a mind to boycot using Paypal because while technically correct, the fact that they're making money off of this really bothers me, given the intended use of the money. Thoughts?
Regresty wrote:

As you know, we have been trying to buy Christmas presents for kids in the Regretsy community.

We took many applications, vetted them carefully and set about creating a giant gift exchange program, where you could buy a gift for the over 200 children we’re helping.

We raised so much money that we found ourselves in a position of not just being able to send toys, but to send a monetary gift to the families as well. We hoped it might help them make their holiday dinners more special, or maybe pay a pressing bill.

PAYPAL SHUT IT DOWN

Regresty wrote:

So to recap:

$ They allowed me to use a donate button, and got a portion of the donations
$ Then made me return the donations, and kept a portion of the fees on the donations
$ They allowed me to use a Buy Now button to sell gifts individually, and got a portion of those sales
$ Then made me return the sales, and kept a portion of the fees on the sales
$ They processed the toy purchases, and made fees on that

They have made a fortune for not doing anything but making me manually return thousands of $2 sales and contributions.

I have been able to guarantee purchase and shipment of the toys, so that part is happening, as are the letters from Santa (most have already been delivered).

However, I am very sorry to say that at this point, I am not able to make a monetary gift to the families. They have frozen everything that was not already spent or donated, and I have no more funds to make a gift of that size.

13 Replies to Regretsy vs. Paypal

re: Regretsy vs. Paypal
By moara
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 07:39 AM
This is just another example of how Paypal is a horrible company. I don't understand why it's still so popular.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 AM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-12-06 10:52:23
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2011-12-06 10:54:37
Yay another Regretsyan!!

I was gonna post this but you beat me to it :) I was going to in general though... I don't think there's much to debate, is there?

Paypal is not even technically correct... they're not even following their own policies. TheGreenGeeks' post explains it.

Her quotes from the conversation with Paypal are the best part:

YOU CAN ONLY HELP CATS

PAYPAL: Only a nonprofit can use the Donate button.

ME: That’s false. It says right in the PDF of instructions for the Donate button that it can be used for “worthy causes.”

PAYPAL: I haven’t seen that PDF. And what you’re doing is not a worthy cause, it’s charity.

ME: What’s the difference?

PAYPAL: You can use the donate button to raise money for a sick cat, but not poor people.

YOU HAVE TO START A NEW WEBSITE

ME: The problem is I’ve already bought all of these toys, so now I’m really in a position like any other merchant – which is to say, I have inventory I need to sell. Why can’t I sell them as gifts, like any other retailer?

PAYPAL: Don’t you think it would look suspicious if the same people bought them again?

ME: Why? These are my customers!

PAYPAL: If you wanted to do that, you’d have to start a new website.

ME: What? Why would I start a new website?

PAYPAL: I’m not going to argue with you.

WE WILL TRACK YOUR SHIPMENTS

PAYPAL: The only way you’d be allowed to sell these as gifts is if you sent them directly to the person who bought them. And we will track your shipments and make sure it goes to the buyer.

ME: That’s discriminatory! You don’t make other retailers send purchases to the buyer only, especially not at Christmas.

PAYPAL: No one but a nonprofit would send gifts to someone else on buyer’s behalf.

ME: What about Amazon?

PAYPAL: We know what you’re doing and we’re through playing games with you.

YOU’LL NEVER GET AWAY WITH THIS

PAYPAL: You say you’re selling these as gifts but there is no information as to what the gift is.

ME: People sell mystery gifts and grab bags all the time. What about sites where they say, "let us choose for you?”

PAYPAL: It doesn’t say that on your site.

ME: Is that the problem? If I say it’s a mystery gift would that be sufficient?

PAYPAL: You aren’t going to be able to get around this. It’s too late, we know what you’re trying to do and we’re not going to let you do it.

ME: But there are hundreds of toys! Do you think it’s reasonable to create a drop down menu for hundreds of gifts, all of them different, and create an inventory for each as “one?” So that every time one sells, it’s sold out, and the customer has to keep choosng options and going through check out to see if they can find a gift that’s still available?

PAYPAL: Yes, I think it’s reasonable.

WTF

Oh, and Paypal also froze Regretsy's owner's PERSONAL Paypal account. For 6 MONTHS. ?!?!?!
By Sumayah
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 AM
Yup. I love the whole "I haven't read the pdf" bit. Really? I mean, get your head out of your butt and read the darn thing because if someone knows my policy better than I do, then there's a problem and frankly anything said after that point becomes null and void.

I stuck in debates because there's always someone who sticks up for corporate greed. But yeah. Way to be awesome Paypal. Way to embody the spirit of giving and define what Christmas cheer and spirit is really about: the bottom line.
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:17 AM
Paypal may have fixed it; haven't heard from April yet though.

www.thepaypalblog.com . . .
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:19 AM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2011-12-06 11:20:15
Our designer sent me this this afternoon, entitled "Paypal PR Fail". Their Facebook feed has gone INSANE, one quote I particularly liked was "as soon as a viable competitor appears you are finished". Just a bunch of bloody jobsworths if you ask me. What IS the difference between charity and a worthy cause?!

My own personal Paypal hell: in 2007, somebody hacked my account, added a bank account, requested hundreds of pounds from another stranger, sent it to their bank account, deleted the bank account from my Paypal account, and effed off. I then got a threatening letter demanding repayment to the tune of £750 from Paypal who'd refunded the woman and were coming after me. They were USELESS. I sent them a letter from the bank saying that the account ending xxx was not mine therefore I didn't pay myself the money, and they responded "this isn't proof that you don't have a Paypal account". OMG. Not what I was disputing but thanks for stating the bleeding obvious.

EVENTUALLY this got sorted out and I closed my Paypal account, along with the eBay account that went with it. Sadly a few years later I had to set up a new one as I wanted to trade on eBay again but, when I told people I wouldn't use Paypal because of fraud, they questioned it as my account was so new. So I had to. :(
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:59 PM
I haven't used my old Paypal account in so long...since Chase came up with their Quickpay thing, I like it better, even though I'm not a huge fan of Chase in general, haha. I no longer have a banking account with them but Quickpay has been pretty good so far!
By Claritinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 01:02 PM
PayPal's apology is insulting. It basically reads, "We're sorry that this happened, but it was totally your fault." Which, really, it wasn't, because as Heart and the Green Geeks article aptly pointed out, their policies are NOT well defined and do seem to allow for others besides non-profits to utilize the "donate" button.

Apparently when the apology was originally posted, the PayPal rep's picture appeared too jovial because they ended up changing it to one where he looks more serious. I saw this posted elsewhere and thought it was great: img.photobucket.com . . .

I'm totally appalled by the whole situation. Not only did they put the kibosh on the "donate" button and make her refund the donations, but then they told her she couldn't use the "buy now" button either and she had to refund those transactions, too. They, of course, would be keeping all of the fees assessed on the refunded donations. The exchange posted in the first link and quoted by Heart is absolutely unreal. "We know what you're trying to do." And what is that exactly, pray tell?
By KionaTeslin
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 01:14 PM
If you refund paypal properly all of the fees should be refunded as well. I've been on both ends of paypal refunds and this has always been the case.

Its quite likely that more than $20,000 was involved, at which point the IRS gets very very curious and paypal was trying to cover their butt in case it was a scam. It flat out wasn't handled very well on either side, paypal for not being clear, and the lady for not doing her research on charitable donations.
By moara
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 01:29 PM
PayPal's apology is insulting. It basically reads, "We're sorry that this happened, but it was totally your fault." Which, really, it wasn't, because as Heart and the Green Geeks article aptly pointed out, their policies are NOT well defined and do seem to allow for others besides non-profits to utilize the "donate" button.

It's not just that their policies are ill defined (and not defined to the public), because I've seen tons of websites that have paypal donate buttons with the tag line essentially "if you like this site, please give me money" I'm sure those people aren't registered non-profits or charities. They aren't even really "worthy causes". If paypal doesn't apologise, and _fully_ backpedal, they're going to have to repeal all those donations, too (which would be the end of them). Although I guess they're just going with might makes right in this case.

Slightly OT... I don't know the full details, but paypal forwarded my parent's number to a collections agency who called every day for three years (until they moved and changed their number) for a transaction in which Paypal was at fault.
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 04:00 PM
Status update from Regretsy: Just talked to Paypal and I will update you shortly. Short version - Apology: yes. Account unfrozen: yes. Donation: not yet, but being discussed

(Naturally, Paypal posted the apology before talking to her...)

I once used Paypal's "Donate" button to raise money for a friend who was in a crappy situation. It was a very small amount of money, which is probably why Paypal didn't notice. I'm not a nonprofit, nor is my friend. You don't have to be a nonprofit to use the Donate button on Paypal. It just has to be a "worthy cause."

I didn't feel like giving my credit card information to Paypal, though, which is the only way you can transfer money, so I eventually just gave my friend the account password and let him figure out how to get his money.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 06, 2011 04:46 PM
Ugh! I hate PayPal.

I was recently helping another dog person raise funds (over $2,000) for her foster dogs second cruciate surgery. And PayPal has been a *insert badwords here*.

So you can raise money for cats but not for kids and dogs.....
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:41 AM
How funny that I just came upon the post on Regretsy a few hours ago. lol

Anyway, I can't believe Paypal. I wish i could get away with NEVER using Paypal but I like buying stuff off Etsy and there's still a lot of sellers who only like to use Paypal. :(

I think that even though they issued an apology that this whole thing is stupid. I mean, an apology isn't going to fix everything that happened and all the stress and hassle of trying to figure it out. And not to mention the person saying how they've never read the pdf and that helping raise money for poor children is not a worthy cause, etc, etc. I mean what that person all said was so rude and unprofessional.

Honestly I just can't believe it. I've never had problems with Paypal before (I dont' use it much and never had my own account because I always went through my mom's account) but I have heard some horror stories of people having many issues with them...nothing like this though.
By JalisOlis
On Thu May 06, 2021 11:35 PM
Hello everyone, I don't know about you, but I always use the paypal service. You can contact their support team paypal.pissedconsumer.com . . . . There you can find out everything about this service and their services.

ReplySendWatch