Forum: Adults / Dance Therapy

Dance Therapy
Would The GROOVE Method be useful therapeutically, or is traditional dance therapy best?
By ebeasley Comments: 1, member since Wed Dec 07, 2011
On Wed Dec 07, 2011 08:53 PM

Hi everyone,

There's a new style of dance I have come across recently - it's known as The GROOVE Method.

GROOVE classes are dance/fitness class where you learn choreography from a variety of different dance styles. The choreography is simple so that you can dance the moves your own way.

If you Google The Groove Method, you can read more about it there.

The website isn't allowing me to post links, so I'm going to split them in half, and remove the first part of web address. You'll have to put them together yourself, sorry. Here are a couple of videos of The GROOVE Method:

youtube.com/
watch?v=Pj1tSNn0-ew

youtube.com/
watch?v=MfQBQnXdE6Q

What do you think of it?? What is your opinion?! I was originally all for it, and thought it was fantastic, but now I'm not entirely sure. I'm having second thoughts.

I'm a psychology student, and I'm interested in the therapeutic benefits of dance. I'd like to eventually work as a health psychologist, and hopefully incorporate some form of dance therapy into that.

What do you think would be more beneficial? Dance therapy that is based on the "traditional" dance therapy or that is based on The GROOVE Method?? Why??

Would The GROOVE Method be therapeutically beneficial?

Thank you!

1 Replies to Would The GROOVE Method be useful therapeutically, or is traditional dance therapy best?

re: Would The GROOVE Method be useful therapeutically, or is traditional dance therapy best?
By colleeflower28 Comments: 236, member since Sat Feb 21, 2004
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:54 AM
I know a lady who uses Groove with her clients. Her name is Dawn and this is her website www . all abilities fitness . ca (remove the spaces)
I am sure if you emailed/phoned her she would be more than happy to answer your questions. She's a lovely lady.

ReplySendWatch