Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: Crackle nail polish
By boleyngrrl
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:16 AM
I have silver OPI crackle, and I love putting it over a nice, bright blue. It looks so neat!!!! And it works well--you just have to find the perfect balance between heavy and light--too light and it doesn't look good, too heavy and it just looks like a blob and doesn't crackle correctly. :) I love it though! I love doing two nail polish colors (like every other finger), and just putting the crackle on one of the colors. It looks neat, but you have to make sure the other one the crackle isn't on is bold enough to stand on its own (like a glitter, a neon, something like that).
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:51 PM
I want to try my Crackle color again. Not to heavy, not to light. That's what I have to remember. If I can scan my hands I will post a photo. I like it, I just wish it looked more like the pictures on TV, although I haven't seen any ads for it recently. I hope it looks better than the last time.
By madseasonPremium member
On Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:00 AM
I have a few OPI crackle polishes and an OPI silver that I just adore. Getting it to look good is all about getting the right amount on your nail. Too much and it looks icky, too little and it's not a great effect. I love the silver and green combo! I've also done a metallic silver base with metallic blue and it looked great.

Sephora has this amazing magnetic nail polish I want to try. www.sephora.com . . .
By BananasInPyjamasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:49 AM
I've found that Sally Hansen's and LaRosa's crackle polishes work better than the OPI stuff.
I've also never tried the magnetic polish from Sephora because it was too expensive for my liking. But after seeing some from icing on a polish blog, I tried some. For the price they work great, and I'd suggest those if you have an Icing store close by.
By boleyngrrl
On Mon Jan 30, 2012 08:18 AM
madseason wrote:

Sephora has this amazing magnetic nail polish I want to try. www.sephora.com . . .

Let me save you the money. I went when they had it in-store and you could try it out, so we painted my some of my friend's nails with it (like 1 or 2 nails). It didn't work at all. It was a total bust. You could get it to distort inside the bottle, but not on your fingers. It was really disappointing, and I think it was something like US$16, which was nuts. So all in all, I'd avoid it.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Mon Jan 30, 2012 08:14 PM
Edited by SoloJazzDancer (98263) on 2012-01-30 20:15:49 Wanted to add something.
I think I am going to wait to buy it until they perfect it. Yeah, and when they make more colors too. I did find some other cool things to do w/my nails when I clicked on watch the video. On the side of the page is other ways to do your nails. I like the splatter nails. That is way cool! I may do my nails like that for my recital. I saved a whole page of how to do your nails. If they last I may have a new job! LOL Hey, everyone will want me to do their nails!

Thanks for sending that link!
By madseasonPremium member
On Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 PM
boleyngrrl wrote:

madseason wrote:

Let me save you the money. I went when they had it in-store and you could try it out, so we painted my some of my friend's nails with it (like 1 or 2 nails). It didn't work at all. It was a total bust. You could get it to distort inside the bottle, but not on your fingers. It was really disappointing, and I think it was something like US$16, which was nuts. So all in all, I'd avoid it.

Oh what a shame! Thanks for the heads-up! It is super expensive and would be a total waste if it didn't work. :/
By SoloJazzDancer
On Tue Jan 31, 2012 08:31 PM
I love nail polish but considering how long it lasts because I don't do my nails every week, I am not going to spend an arm and a leg on some just because it does something really cool which it may or not do. Like someone said, it doesn't work so why spend all that money? Now if I was Jennifer Anniston or George Cloony and had all that money, maybe I would buy that polish and not care if it worked or not. Since I don't have that kind of money and probably never will, then I care if something works or not. I don't buy something just to throw it away in the trash because it didn't work.
By xBallet_babex
On Sun Feb 05, 2012 02:33 PM
I think there is a brand called Essence at Ulta that is cheap make-up but still seems to be decent quality, but I know they have a magnetic polish. I'm not sure if they have brought that product to the US, but it IS on their website. They are small bottles, but who REALLY uses a whole bottle of polish? I never have!
By SoloJazzDancer
On Wed Feb 08, 2012 07:59 AM
I don't think I have ever used up a whole bottle of polish either, your right about that. I got this that I am sending from an e-mail from Oprah. It's lists all the new kinds of nail polish and that magnetic one is on there. Then I have a list of comments from people. A lot of them say nail polish should be banned because it's terrible for the environment. You know, that stuff that will be here for our children's children's children if the world lasts that long. Hey if that's true, and I don't know for sure about that yet then why not also ban lipstick, blush, foundation, mascara, eye shadow and stuff like that as they contain as many chemicals and never totally all get used up and then get thrown away. I guess when the topic is just nail polish they don't mention the other.

1. Do you like this plum color? Or would you prefer a bright pink? Blaze Nail Lacquer ($8 to $13; blazenailpolish.com) lets you have it both ways. It goes on one shade, then morphs into a new one when exposed to sunlight (and changes back once you're indoors again). Choose from more than 35 color duos (here, Pop Pink/Plum Twist). Shown on model's thumb, top left, and bottom right.

2. The polishes in the China Glaze "Eye Candy" collection ($7; sallybeauty.com) are infused with shimmer particles in a variety of sizes and shapes. The effect: a revolution in glitter. The particles look as if they're sparkling right off your nail (shown here: Material Girl). Shown on model's forefinger.

3. After a second coat of Nails Inc. Magnetic Polish (here, in House of Parliament, $16; sephora.com), hold the polish's cap over each nail. An embedded magnet attracts iron powder in the polish, swirling it into a mesmerizing pattern. Shown on model's middle finger.

4. Love the long-lasting shine of a gel manicure but not the salon time? Stay home and try Revlon Colorstay Longwear Nail Enamel ($8; drugstores), available in 30 shades (here, Red Carpet). Shown on model's ring finger.

5. Equally durable—and pretty—is Nutra Nail Gel Perfect UV-Free Gel-Color; choose from 12 flattering shades like this one, Lily Pink ($12; nutranail.com). Shown on model's pinky finger.

6. Never have we been so happy (preposterously happy!) with a polish remover. Soy Remover Wipes by Priti NYC ($10 for a pack of ten; pritinyc.com) are portable, contain no stinky acetone, moisturize with organic lemongrass oil, and take off every last bit of color. Genius.

7. For a traditional look, consider OPI's latest ($8.50; opi.com for salons; available February 8), a lineup of pinks, neutrals, and a few chic surprises, like this soft seafoam (Thanks a WindMillion). Shown bottom left.

elainetruong
Posted: Tue 1/31/2012 10:09 PM
@ Roboseal: This is why I promote Manicure & Pedicure @ my work place although my coworkers hate the fact I'd be able to talk several ladies out of wearing fake nails & not wearing any nails polish. Most women came to nails salon to get fake nails and/or paint their nails pretty. Although most women said they wish their nails can be healthy, grow some length, and have pretty nails. So they don't have to wear fake nails. I said, 'wishes granted!' If you come get regular manicures 2 times a month, 3rd time as needed, and don't wear any nails polish, I can help you get your nails and hands healthy in 3 to 5 months. In some case it can take 6 months to a year for a few ladies to get their nails healthy again. After your nails are healthy, they are not brittle, nor peeling, nor stained by color nails polish, they won't break. When they won't break, you'll have a nice, not so long, nails length on your hands. Don't wear nails longer than your comfortable working (active) length, then less likely they will break because of all the dramas we put our fingers through each day. Beside, regular manicures twice a month, you need to moisturize your hands and cuticles daily. At least once a day. If you only do it once a day, do it before you go to sleep and after your nightly routine. Think when you're sleep 5 to 8 hours, your hands and nails will be moisturized all night long. If hands lotion is not good enough for your cuticles, use cuticle oils too...:)
Reply to this comment

Roboseal
Posted: Mon 1/30/2012 8:30 PM
Nail polishes are fun to look at but the health and environmental impact is plain scary. This is one cosmetic trend I wish would go away. The toxins and chemicals used to make them and to remove them have far reaching health effects and are really detrimental to the earth.
Reply to this comment
1 Replies

Sapphire6752
Posted: Wed 2/1/2012 2:37 PM
Not only on the environment, but on your nails as well. and those new Gel nail polish, is as bad as fake nails, at least it was for my nails.

beachgirlshari
Posted: Fri 1/27/2012 9:49 PM
Unfortunately Revlon Colorstay nail enamel which is beautiful and long lasting was discontinued quite some time ago.
Reply to this comment
1 Replies

debace
Posted: Thu 2/2/2012 10:51 PM
I came across a bottle of the Revlon Colorstay nail enamel which had gotten "lost" in my "nail stuff drawer." Believe it or not, it is still as good as new and I found the Colorstay clear top coat, as well. I didn't even realize it had been discontinued until I tried to get another bottle. It was a great inexpensive nail polish and yes, it was long lasting (for about 10 days+) and chip free. Depending on the color, it was also easy to touch up.

Read more: www.oprah.com . . .
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch