Popular Owners

New Studio Owner needing some financial input please. by Klynn2014
Hello everyone. I am currently a new studio owner to a very small independant studio. I am very...

Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 5 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: National ban on cell phones while driving? en>fr fr>en
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 02:57 PM
Do you really believe most phone usage in cars is emergency related?

I've already answered that question in full if you'd bother to actually read the thread instead of acting out. See my post up there that begins, "It's not just 911 though"?

Now you're REALLY not keeping up with the conversation.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16123, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 03:07 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-12-20 15:22:11
^ That was a rhetorical question. But you know that.

Grumpus, the circumstances you are trying to spin are NOT the norm. Ok? It's the fact that people cannot just hang up and drive that have brought us to this.

kk~
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:00 PM
That was a rhetorical question. But you know that.
That was not a rhetorical question. It wouldn't have made sense to ask it rhetorically since I had already answered it. Here we go again where you say something absolutely ridiculous and then freak the hell out instead of just taking it back. But whatever. Fine. It was a rhetorical question. That totally makes sense.
re: National ban on cell phones while driving? (karma: 3)  en>fr fr>en
By mandakp Comments: 566, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:20 PM
panic wrote:

. If the person is too poor to afford internet access at home, surely they are also too poor to own a smart phone with data included in their cell phone plan.

They can't afford internet access but they can afford an expensive smart phone and/or GPS? Ok...

Y'all are both having a comprehension problem here.

Actually, they weren't having a comprehension problem. You said that people can't possibly print out a google maps route to take with them, because they might be too poor to have internet access, and therefore this is a reason that we shouldn't ban mobile phones in cars, because they will need to use their phone instead? Their responses were actually right on the mark.
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:22 PM
Seems to me I'm not the one freaking out. :?

kk~
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:54 PM
Actually, they weren't having a comprehension problem. You said that people can't possibly print out a google maps route to take with them, because they might be too poor to have internet access, and therefore this is a reason that we shouldn't ban mobile phones in cars, because they will need to use their phone instead? Their responses were actually right on the mark.
Uh no. KK & C both turned the discussion to the people in question having internet on their phone - which is irrelevant. This discussion isn't about having internet on phones. It's about making calls on phones. I believe using the internet on your phone is already illegal in most states. That's not what we're discussing.

For the record, many people in poorer communities do, in fact, only have internet access on their phone and not in their houses. It's quite common. But I wasn't talking about those people. I know it's hard to believe, but there are still a lot of people who don't have the internet at home (or don't know how to use it) and also do not have it on their phones. But again, that's not what we're discussing, is it?
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 05:17 PM
Um... for the record, some people don't even have internet on their phones (or their homes). Like my mom. So, yeah, I get that. Guess what? She has a map in her car. If you have a car, you should always, always keep a map in the glovebox. That is a basic rule of road safety that I have known since I learned how to drive.

kk~
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:18 PM
Um... for the record, some people don't even have internet on their phones (or their homes).
I assume now you're just being purposefully obtuse by copying EXACTLY what I have just written in the post above yours. Very mature.
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:43 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-12-20 20:47:42
I also said OR THEIR HOMES. I was stating there are people who don't have EITHER. It was not verbatim. You know, I really don't get why you are digging in your heels on the idea that a little preparation can go a long way towards reducing your risk. It's just common sense. Or is that idea too obtuse for you? :?

kk~
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:52 PM
Here's what I wrote
there are still a lot of people who don't have the internet at home (or don't know how to use it) and also do not have it on their phones.

Here's what you wrote 2 sentences later
Um... for the record, some people don't even have internet on their phones (or their homes).
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:56 PM
Ok, fine then, we actually agree on a point. My apologies. Now what about this....

You know, I really don't get why you are digging in your heels on the idea that a little preparation can go a long way towards reducing your risk. It's just common sense.

kk~
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:02 PM
I assume that's a rhetorical question.
re: National ban on cell phones while driving? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:14 PM
Score! I pinned that one. :D

Have fun arguing with yourself.

Cheers, kk~
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 7989, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:20 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2011-12-20 21:23:59
Totally a hijack but...does anyone else have a hard time reading a map? I can actually orient very well and I can trace back to where I started, but I can not read step by step directions from Mapquest at all.
I've had a GPS my whole driving life, and I would be utterly lost if I was actually driving without verbal directions or a GPS.

I feel like a total jackass sometimes, when I can't orient myself on a map while driving. I CAN orient myself if I have a map and I am going walking distance, but I totally lose it if the distance is like 350 miles or something.

I also have horrible sense of length/width. I can't tell if I have driven 2 miles or 5 miles, I have no concept of length. If directions tell me to turn in 500 feet, I can't pinpoint how long that is driving.
re: National ban on cell phones while driving? (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12253, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:23 PM

Maybe you need to stand IN the map like Joey. :D
By slice Comments: 1152, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:25 PM
Hmmm, I don't understand something. the proposed ban would prohibit use of all handheld devices, but not if said devices are a part of the actual vehicle (as seen in newer models) correct? But as discussed earlier in the thread, the element of distraction comes from engaging in conversation with another person, not necessarily the action of holding the phone (or whatever device) itself. Such a ban would, I assume, also prohibit the use of a handheld device that uses voice directions (like Siri for iPhone), but not if the device is connected to the car and able to be operated through controls on the steering wheel (for example, my friend's car has this and it's actually pretty neat!)?

I guess I'm trying to find some consistency, and maybe my understanding thus far is incorrect *shrug*
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:36 PM
Right. That's a HUGE inconsistency in the recommendation, and you can thank the automobile industry and all their lobbyists. It doesn't make any sense. If talking on the phone is distracting (a fact no one is disputing), why would built-in systems be exempt? It's mystifying.
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:45 PM
This article states the ban would be for non-emergency use.

articles.cnn.com . . .

Makes the whole argument on emergency calls a moot point.

kk~
re: National ban on cell phones while driving? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By slice Comments: 1152, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:51 PM
kandykane wrote:

This article states the ban would be for non-emergency use.

articles.cnn.com . . .

Makes the whole argument on emergency calls a moot point.

kk~

See this is the part that irks me:
It would apply to hands-free as well as hand-held devices, but devices installed in the vehicle by the manufacturer would be allowed, the NTSB said.

So, emergency or not, the dudette in the lane next to me could use her phone to call her friend through her vehicle and hold a conversation about virtually anything... but if I had to call my friend to ask which exit to take, I could and should be punished? I don't understand that logic at all.
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:55 PM
But how would the officer know you were making an emergency call? You're repeating the same discussion we had on the previous page. Remember you said you would just give the officer your phone, and some of us objected that doing so would violate our 4th amendment rights? We have already talked about this. You're like a goldfish swimming around its bowl. Wow, look at that castle! Plant. Rocks. Bubbles. Wow, look at that castle! Plant. Rock. Bubbles. Wow, look at that castle!
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:11 PM
I like castles. I always wanted to live in one like a princess. With kittens, of course. And a studly man-servant fanning me with a giant peacock fan. Ah well, one can dream

kk~

Comment #9811910 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2011-12-21 07:41:37 yeah that isn't helping this to stay on track.

Comment #9811917 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2011-12-21 07:41:52 and this doesn't either.

Comment #9811921 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2011-12-21 07:42:18 this creates so much work for me.

Comment #9811953 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2011-12-21 07:43:35 okay that was funny, but its so off topic.

Page:
Page 5 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch