Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Yoga Mats: Manduka or Lululemon?
By Mysticalldancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 679, member since Thu Feb 05, 2004
On Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 AM

Hey! In just another month I'll be starting a Power Yoga class at my community college, it's actually a class to fulfill my physical education requirement (why I need a gym class is beyond me, but hey maybe it'll help cross train for dance). Anyways...we don't NEED to buy our own mats, they do have them provided for us, the only thing is that I WANT my own mat....I can at times have a germ phobia, and the fact that my class is going to be the last yoga class she teaches that day, I'm not really feeling the idea of sharing someone else's sweaty mat (they do wipe them down, but still. eww.) And hopefully this will be something I continue at my gym once the class is done. I've gone to 2 free Hot Yoga classes that this lady i knew offered last year...and I really did like it.

I'm really clueless on what mat to get...I know I can get rather sweaty, so I've been looking at mats that are good with that. I'm not sure if I really need a thick mat or not...I have had some major knee injuries when i was younger, and I do occasionally get knee pain, I guess since I'm shelling out more than $20 maybe I should just get a thick mat and er on the side of caution?? Two mats I keep coming across seem to have decent reviews, and they both have the occasional bad review...they are The Mat by Lululemon, and The PROlite Mat by Manduka. Has anyone here used these mats, and if so what did you like or not like about them? I also was kind of looking at the Manduka PRO, but it was a little more than I was hoping to pay.

Also, where do you buy your yoga clothes? I love some of the things on Lululemon, but they are pricey, and at the moment I'd rather get a mat, towel, and bag than spend that much on an outfit when I know there are cheaper things out there.

thanks everyone :)

9 Replies to Yoga Mats: Manduka or Lululemon?

re: Yoga Mats: Manduka or Lululemon?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:25 PM
I live in Lululemon stuff, literally, I teach 6 days a week, some days from 9.30 until 9.00 at night. I like the way all of their garments are preshrunk so it won't change by two sizes after one wash, I have had some other brands do that. I like the way that even with them being worn all day every day they last, I have some bits that are 18 months old and even with the amount that I wear them they still look good, unlike cheaper brands that last a couple of months before they have the bag lady look about them.

I have The Mat too, I use it for Pilates when I actually get to do any personal revue. It's really thick, it doesn't slip at all and even at you're hottest and sweatiest you won't slip on it either. I also got it to give a bit of extra cushioning for bad knees and it really works. It gives a really stable base to work from and it's certainly got my recommendation.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:37 PM
If you are worried about price take a visit to T.J.Maxx. Sometimes they have really great finds. I got my yoga mat, towel, block and straps there and they are great. Lululemon is really great, but I never have the money for it either.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:45 PM
I got some cheap yoga wear 5 years ago, and it still looks as good as it did when I first bought it.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:59 PM
I'm too big for Lululemon still. I've heard so much about it though, that I'm hoping to get there this year! :)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Dec 19, 2011 01:04 PM
Allegedly Lulu Lemon takes customer suggestions very seriously according to their employees... the only thing that I can fit into from them (or could pre-baby) was their hoodies. I hate stores that stop their sizing at size 12.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 05:17 PM
The sizing runs really small. I consider myself to be a fairly small person, I used to always have a hard time finding pants small enough to fit me. Now I'm a bit older and can easily fit most stores sizes but at Lululemon my size 4 pants are snug and I could probably fit a 6. I'm a size 2 at The Gap so there is definite size discrepancy going on there.
By Mysticalldancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 679, member since Thu Feb 05, 2004
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:45 PM
thanks for the replies :) I ended up going with The Mat from Lululemon, and I actually ended up driving an hour just to visit one of their stores...I'm really glad I did because I was able to talk to the employees there about The Mat vs the Manduka mats. I also have fallen completely in love with that store! I walked out with a super cute sports bra, headband, and the wunder under capri pants (I think that is what they are called). I'm really excited to go back and pick up more things, the capri's look great, and I love how they fit, which I have a hard time sometimes finding legging type pants that aren't see through that actually fit me everywhere.

I just now need to find a few cheap workout tops, so hopefully my Ross' or TJ Maxx will have something...although I never have any luck at those stores.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Dec 22, 2011 01:16 PM
Coccinella wrote:

The sizing runs really small. I consider myself to be a fairly small person, I used to always have a hard time finding pants small enough to fit me. Now I'm a bit older and can easily fit most stores sizes but at Lululemon my size 4 pants are snug and I could probably fit a 6. I'm a size 2 at The Gap so there is definite size discrepancy going on there.

They are very small on the sizing, I always go up a size at least in their clothes but all companies have different sizings anyway, the number on the label doesn't really mean a thing if it fits well.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Dec 22, 2011 01:52 PM
I'm surprised at everyone saying Lulu runs small. I buy the same size there that I buy pretty much everywhere else. In fact, I have a couple tops that are a size smaller than I'd normally go. Weird.

ReplySendWatch