Forum: Arts / Pets

trying to figure out what a puppy has
By le_petite_danser
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:50 PM

this is santiago the puppy i want but i cant get him from the shelter until they know what he has so i was wondering if any of you have any ideas hes on some medicine and steroids right now which help a little bit but not much he's still kinda furless in spots and very flaky.... and do any of you know any limited ingredient dog foods that they actually like?
a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net . . . thats him a few weeks ago
a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net . . . this is him now
a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net . . . the casts are gone now
a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net . . .

13 Replies to trying to figure out what a puppy has

re: trying to figure out what a puppy has
By hummingbird
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 08:53 PM
I'm not surprised that they won't let you take him home yet, shelters have vets that see the animals regularly and they want to make sure that he does not have mange before he's let out of the shelter.

He also looked very young in your first photo, I would have put him at about 3-4 weeks and that means he either needs his mother or a carer who knows how to look after very young animals.

He's with a cat in the last photo that must mean that they have ruled out mange by now, that's a good sign but he was very young and ill when they took him in, that's going to be a big set back to his immune system.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 PM
Has the shelter had a vet look at him? Could you offer to pay to have him go to a veterinary dermatologists?
Without looking into it more the best I can think of is Cheyletiella mange, due to the flakiness.

^ And not all mange is contagious. Demodex mange is not considered to be a contagious disease.
By hummingbird
On Sat Dec 24, 2011 09:03 AM
No Demodectic mange isn't considered infectious but Sarcoptic mange is and not just to dogs but all mammals including humans.
By le_petite_danser
On Sat Dec 24, 2011 01:04 PM
he was four weeks and they found him like that. that was a month ago, somebody had left him outside in the rain... hes 8 weeks old now and has been to a vet multiple times according to the shelter owners.. but they haven't been able to figure out what he has. Hes not contagious he lives in a foster home with other puppies and a mama dog who adopted him. I would see him tomorrow but he wont be there cause its Christmas... And im not allowed to take him home until they know what he has.. but i will bring up what you have suggested thanks :)
By hummingbird
On Sat Dec 24, 2011 03:37 PM
That poor little thing, he must be so uncomfortable.

The shelter is being responsible, they need to know that you're able to keep him in good shape and with an unknown condition they could be leaving you with a whole load of vets bills that you can't afford. That wouldn't be fair to you or him.

Do you have a vet that you trust and know who could go and look at him?
By le_petite_danser
On Sat Dec 24, 2011 05:48 PM
yeah but im not allowed to take him out on my own. and he goes to a respected vet across the water theyve been using them for years and hes gone twice a week for a month and the vets still havent figured out whats wrong.. they keep him in a sweater alot so he doesnt scratch himself and bleed now i heard but switll no difinitive answer
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 27, 2011 02:37 PM
I can have my vet friend take a look at the pictures.

What have they ruled out?
By le_petite_danser
On Tue Dec 27, 2011 06:10 PM
I think theyve rules out mange cause hes not contagious and something called impetigo which i guess is really common in puppies heres some new pics from Christmas

a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net . . .

a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net . . . hes getting alot better and im so happy! but hell probably be on medicine his whole life to take care of his skin. and im knitting him a new little sweater!
By hummingbird
On Tue Dec 27, 2011 07:22 PM
I didn't know that dogs could get Impetigo, I know that humans can though.

In most cases it can be controlled with antibiotics, he's looking a lot better.
By Luthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 29, 2011 01:12 PM
It could also be an allergy of some kind that makes his skin reacts this way. Is it itchy, does he scratch it alot? I think they should test him for allergies and see if its from for example food or if its atopic (from air, grass, stuff outside etc).
Im an intern at a vet clinic btw.
By le_petite_danser
On Mon Jan 02, 2012 09:06 PM
a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net . . . well this is a brand new picture took yesterday most his fur has grown back(YAYYY!!!) He is now on a low dose steroid which is helping and a organic limited ingredient puppy kibble: ) Which means I can bring him home in two weeks if he continues to get better. Now to figure out what kind of puppy he is.
By Luthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 11, 2012 06:34 AM
oooh he looks alot better thats great!
Steroids are an aggresive form of treatment but they do their job well.
Does he suffer any side effects from the medication? Also with the food, it seems like he is responding well on it, wouldnt be a bad idea to keeo him on it in the future.
I wish you all the best with him and a great life together! :)
By Rachel_Whomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 30, 2012 05:00 PM
Have you got your puppy yet??
I hope he is better now :D

Rachel x

ReplySendWatch