Forum: Advice / Beauty

Have you ever worked at Sephora?
By reel_in_firstmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 20, 2011 06:59 PM
Edited by reel_in_first (135455) on 2011-12-20 19:02:16 grammar

Unsure of where to post this.

I am thinking about applying to Sephora, and was simply wondering if anyone who has ever worked there would like to share their experiences with me.

I figured I might as well try, seeing as I spend so much money there anyway :P

2 Replies to Have you ever worked at Sephora?

re: Have you ever worked at Sephora?
By Tchaikovskychick
On Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 PM
I have not worked there but if you go on certain websites like glassdoor.com they have reviews and ratings by people who worked at various businesses. Since Sephora is so big I'm sure there's plenty of employee rants and raves there, along with wage range.
re: Have you ever worked at Sephora?
By OMGjaimyemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 PM
I worked there over the summer :)

I'm very into beauty/makeup and all that, so it seemed like a dream job to me. Except for some of the management staff being jerks to some of the seasonal employees, I loved my experience there and I learned A LOT too. There are many perks to working at Sephora, and the biggest and best is probably the gratis. I didn't receive much as a seasonal employee, but the year-round staff would take home bags and bags of free product almost every other week. At least once a month (and usually more), reps from different brands would come into the store for trainings on new products and if you attended trainings, you got extra gratis. Gratis is a big motivator for sales at Sephora. Our store would have little contests almost every week, and winners got to pick pieces of gratis as rewards. Because of all the gratis and training, employees don't get much of a discount. On all Sephora brand products, it's 40% off, which is great. But on all the high-end stuff (Smashbox, MUFE, NARS, etc), it's only 20%. But again, you get a lot of that product in gratis too. So I suppose it all equals out in the end.

Sephora also does this thing called Science of Sephora - it's a conference type training, usually held over a few days in a big hub city, and you basically get the lowdown on EVERYTHING. You learn about sanitation, application, color theory, product knowledge, brushes, and all that about makeup. You learn the ins and outs of everything in the skincare world, and you even get a crash course in fragrance too. If you have the chance to go to SOS, you should! It's really valuable and you don't have to pay your own way.

Now, retail is retail at the end of the day, but Sephora does things a little differently than your average shop. The style is a bit hard to get used to at first, but you do eventually catch on. For example, the sales floor is called "The Stage" and sales associates are called "Cast members," supervisors are called "Leads" and managers are called "Directors." It's supposed to be a theatrical theme. Basically, when you're on "stage," you're acting the part of an extremely outgoing beauty enthusiast. You have to be "on" at all times. I've heard that some stores are stricter about this than others.

I was paid very well considering my past experience in high-end retail and previous experience in cosmetics. Sephora is known to be one of the best with pay and chances to work up in the company. If you have the chance to apply, I say go for it. I would definitely work there again! :)

ReplySendWatch