Forum: General / Holidays

Best kids' Christmas movie? (karma: 1)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 09:27 PM

Since we are at home for Christmas this year, I'm starting some new traditions. One will be putting on an appropriate Christmas movie in the evening for some wind-down time. Problem is I'm totally out of the loop about kids' Christmas movies. My favourite growing up was Santa Claus: The Movie but I think that's a bit too old for Elijah yet.

It can't be too violent (eg Home Alone) or suggest there is no Santa.

I would prefer something animated or with puppets, but it is not going to make or break the decision. Elijah is 5 and his favourite movies are the Toy Story Trilogy.

Things I've thought of so far are Muppets Christmas Carol, Polar Express or The Grinch.

Suggestions welcome. Feel free to add trailers or state your reasons for why it is a good idea to watch your choice.

12 Replies to Best kids' Christmas movie?

re: Best kids' Christmas movie? (karma: 1)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 09:32 PM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2011-12-23 21:38:30
Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Rankin in Bass, 1970 classic stop-action animation with wooden puppets. My favorite of all time.

Here's the wiki with a thorough reviewi:

en.wikipedia.org . . .'_to_Town_(TV_special)

And here's the instant video:

www.amazon.com . . .

EDIT: Actually, along those same lines... Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, also by Rankin and Bass is another perfect choice. Another fave of all time! :)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 09:45 PM
Elf is my favorite, but it is PG (for mild adult themes), so maybe not quite ready for it yet. The ones you have thought of so far would be at the top of my list (there are a few versions of How the Grinch Stole Christmas). Here are a few others: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (the one from 1964 with stop motion), Frosty the Snowman, Charlie Brown Christmas, Shrek the Halls (I think it is about 30 minutes long), The Santa Clause (also PG but I can't think of anything bad in it), Mickey's Christmas Carol, A Christmas Carol, Prancer (don't know the rating on this one), Ernest Saves Christmas. I will come back if I think of more, I worked in a video store for a long time, and we always put up a kids movie Christmas section.
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:25 PM
Here are some of my classic favorites.
Miracle on 34th Street:
www.amazon.com . . .

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer :
www.amazon.com . . .
By ReelJiggered
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:33 PM
The Muppet Christmas Carol!
By cheerspirit
On Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:56 PM
My kids and I watch Elf every year while decorating. My 4 year old cracks up at it.
By RosettaPremium member
On Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:00 PM
Scooby Doo: Winter Wonderdog
www.amazon.com . . .

I work in childcare and the kids love it!
By Tiggerpants
On Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:25 PM
I'll second Muppet Christmas Carol. It's tradition in our house to watch it every year and has been since I was very young...6 or 7. Definite favourite.
re: Best kids' Christmas movie? (karma: 2)
By kandykanePremium member
On Sat Dec 24, 2011 03:17 PM
Merry Christmas Charlie Brown!

kk~
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:30 AM
Mine is Rudolph. I love that movie, and I never get tired of it. I guess its mostly because I remember watching it with my grandma and it brings back such fond memories.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:34 AM
I love "The Snowman" which is a animation with great music. I used to watch it when I was 3+years old, and it has been my favorite Christmas Movie.

The only "bad" thing for Elijah is that the Snowman melts on Christmas Morning, so it is a bit depressing. I always thought the Snowman came back to life each Christmas Eve. As an adult, I think it is even more sad knowing it won't ever come back to life.

www.youtube.com . . .

Here is a part of the video so you can see if it is something you would enjoy.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:51 AM
YumYumDoughnut wrote:

I love "The Snowman" which is a animation with great music. I used to watch it when I was 3+years old, and it has been my favorite Christmas Movie.

My brother LOVED that movie. He would watch it every day during Dec if he could when he was little. I think he started watching it around the age of 3 as well. I grew to hate it with a passion after seeing it so many times.

My mom still cries every time she watches it.
re: Best kids' Christmas movie?
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 25, 2011 02:14 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. We ended up going with Muppets Christmas Carol for E, then after he went to bed, we watched Elf. I think he might like that one in a couple of years. Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. I've just woken up on Boxing Day.

ReplySendWatch