Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Perfume: when/where to wear it?
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 01:27 PM

I feel pretty silly asking about this, but I'm pretty stupid when it comes to anything regarding fashion and beauty so I'm going to pose the question to the knowledgeable DDNworld instead of being left to my own (clueless) devices:

For Christmas, I got my first "real" perfume vs. body sprays or other types of scents... How on earth do I wear it?

It's Romance by Ralph Lauren and while I REALLY like it, I'm just not sure if there's occasions that would make it more or less appropriate to wear? I'm assuming it's great for evenings out or parties, but what about other occasions? Would anyone wear it day to day or even at work? I just don't know.

So DDN fashionistas, where would YOU wear a designer fragrance?

42 Replies to Perfume: when/where to wear it?

re: Perfume: when/where to wear it?
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 02:12 PM
I wear perfume everyday but change scents often. You can wear it to work. Just make sure the scent is not overpowering and makes everyone in the room have a headache.

I put it on my wrists and spray it in the air then pass through it. It's a subtle scent.
By Caulfieldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 02:19 PM
My signature scent is Be Delicious by DKNY, and I wear it every day (aside from those lazy days where I'm bumming at home). So yep, I wear it to school, work, dates, wherever. It's a pretty strong scent to begin with, so I just sprtiz the air once or twice and walk through it. This way it's not too overpowering, and then my clothes smell like apples too. :)
By kandykanePremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 02:47 PM
I just spray it behind my knees. Nowhere else. Keeps it light and away from my face.

kk~
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 02:59 PM
I wear perfume every day too. I got Curious by Britney Spears a few months ago and MAN! I love that stuff. I used to wear a variety of Bath and Body Works sprays up until I got this one, but now I'm hooked. I also spray it on my wrists...I'm actually kind of allergic to it and when I put it on my neck it gets a rash and super itchy. Definitely not as bad on my arms though (mom always asks why I still wear it...yeah, I don't know either).
By Tansey
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 03:02 PM
I love perfume! I get some every year for Christmas. In the last couple of years I've worn Ralph Lauren's Blue, Lancome's Tresor, and Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana. I just put a little on my neck right where you can feel your pulse, and on my wrists. A light touch is key; I don't want to overpower anyone with it. I wear it every day in Winter, no matter where I'm going. I have to enjoy it while I can. I can't wear scent from late Spring to early Fall as I am extremely allergic to bees.
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 03:06 PM
Ladies! Keep in mind the Otis Law:
No two artificial scents are compatible.

This law was discovered during downtown morning rush hour on a device built by Otis.
By celestia836
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 03:16 PM
Edited by celestia836 (79174) on 2011-12-30 15:18:33
I have three scents that I use--I don't like to switch between lots and lots of different ones. My 'daily' perfume is Clinique Happy Heart; it's fresh and a little floral, and fits for all sorts of occasions. I wear it to work almost every day, but sometimes I switch it out for Benefit's 'The Garden of Good and Eva', which is more fresh and to me seems more casual, so I usually keep it for weekends. I may just associate it with more casual things because of where I wear it, though--sort of a chicken-or-egg dilemma!

My last perfume is Givenchy's Hot Couture. I definitely don't wear it to work because it's a heavier, more sexy fragrance (if that makes any sense!), which doesn't feel appropriate for the office. I save it for going out to evening occasions.

I guess I would advise you to wear the smell to see how it works on you, since differing body chemistries mean that not all perfumes work the same way on everyone. After that, you'll have a better idea of where you're comfortable wearing the perfume. As for how much to wear, I'd err on the side of too light--perfume headaches are no fun! I just do two spritzes--one for my wrists and one to rub behind my ears. A former roommate of mine wore a fragrance that I loved (Honeysuckle from Bath & Bodyworks), but she put on five spritzes every single time she left the tiny room we shared! Urgh.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 03:23 PM
I must admit I'm not a perfume fan myself. I just cannot see what the need for it is, after the scented bubble bath/shower gel, scented shampoo, followed by deodrant what else do we need?

Plus its really overpowering on hospital wards. Don't know why but it just is.
re: Perfume: when/where to wear it? (karma: 2)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 03:59 PM
I wear perfume everyday, I feel strange if I don't. Wrists, neck/décolletage, back of the neck under my hair, and a spritz in the air above my head. I honestly can't believe people don't wear it! I have lots of favourites, I normally get a few bottles for Christmas then top myself up during the year, and if I don't have any I rely heavily on Impulse body spray.

Light Blue, D&G
Gucci II (my wedding day perfume)
Touch of Pink, Lacoste
Femme, Hugo Boss
Ultraviolet, Paco Rabanne
Christina Aguilera (the first one)

I haven't had Ultraviolet for years but at present I have all the others on the go - mostly 25ml bottles for Christmas which will last me roughly til March because I am very liberal! I just choose what I fancy on the day. I looooove perfume!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:03 PM
Neither men nor women are permitted to wear fragrances when they play in symphony orchestras (as least not the ones I play in and I have heard of this policy in other orchestras.) No perfumes, no aftershave or colognes, or scented deodorants...unscented is fine and actively encouraged :).

We DO sweat and the chemistry gets overpowering. I don't sit anywhere near them, but apparently wind player get affected by fragrances.

Do the same strictures apply to dancers on stage?

Jon
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:09 PM
I wear perfume every day. One puff to the cleavage and one to the wrist and rub together.

I can't remember where you work, but some workplaces have policies against them due to allergies/sensitivity.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:21 PM
I change up my body sprays and my only perfume (currently Fantasy by Britney Spears.) I used to dabble in blending scents, like if you spray body spray directly on your body, a fruity scent, and then lightly spritz with a fresh smelling perfume, you have a smell that's completely unique. It CAN backfire though, and you have to make sure to use everything lightly so you don't smell overpowering.

If I feel like a lighter scent, I'll just spray body spray on directly after I shower before I get dressed. That way my skin smells light and clean. If I'm going out to dinner or just feel like it, I'll spray perfume, on my wrists, rub on my neck, and my cleavage. I like that it clings to my jackets and scarves so that they always smell nice.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:34 PM
You aren't supposed to rub the perfume. If you rub you crush the fragrance (similar to crushing a flower). If you must put your wrists together pat, don't rub. My mom learned this in fragrance school.

I have a multitude of perfumes. I wear it if I am going somewhere. Which one I wear I base off of my clothing and what the bottle looks like. I'm weird, I know. I put it on either side of my neck and both wrists. Sometimes the back of the knee.

Jon - yes, dancers should never were perfume on stage.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:54 PM
I always second guess myself when I put on perfume because it seems like every place you go has those signs up asking people to refrain from wearing scented products.

I spray it on my neck or wrist usually. Fragrances I like are Gwen Stefani's "Original G" and a Vanilla scent from The Body Shop.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 05:00 PM
I have never ever seen a sign asking people not to wear perfume.
By ChristinePremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 07:51 PM
^This would be a sad, sad, day in my world.

Keep On Dancing*
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 08:34 PM
I'm not a big perfume person, so the couple of nice ones I have tend to be used when I'm going out to do something other than go to work. Perfume in an office doesn't always work well; I've got a couple of co-workers who spray themselves once or twice a day with whatever they have and it drives other people crazy. They won't get the hint and nobody wants to be dramatic over it, but geez...it has set off one person's asthma before. Not to mention that there is a "no excessive scents in the workplace" thing where I work.

I have some kind of grapefruit body spray that I really like...and a jasmine one. They're more my speed versus actual perfume. A lot of perfumes make me sneeze and my eyes get teary.
re: Perfume: when/where to wear it? (karma: 1)
By kandykanePremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 09:57 PM
It really bothers me when people wear too much perfume. Women or men. That's why I spray lightly just behind the knees. It gives a light scent and keeps the scent away from people's faces and noses where it is likely to bother them. I have allergies and one of my kids does, too. So, the knee technique is best for me. And because I use just a little, my bottle lasts a long time.

Forgot to say my current favorites are Victoria's Secret Dream Angels: Heavenly and Bath and Body Works Butterfly Flower. Years ago, I used to be a hardcore Halston girl.

kk~
re: Perfume: when/where to wear it? (karma: 1)
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:24 PM
I wear perfume every day. One spritz near my belly button, and then I spray a mist and walk into it to get a soft scent on my upper body.

I alternate between Cinema by Yves St Laurent and Chloe.

I think it is fine to wear it every day, as long as you don’t overdo it and make people gag.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Sat Dec 31, 2011 04:43 PM
I don't care for a lot of the designer fragrances, as they trigger my migraines, but I do like the more "natural" smelling ones.

I wear fragrance most days, and definitely to work: A little bit on the inside of the elbows, cleavage, and backs of the knees.

Never on areas of skin that are likely to see sunlight, as my skin is quite sensitive and the combination of sun and perfume makes me break out in ugly rashes.

I try and keep my fragrance subtle, because if I get migraines from other people's perfumes, chances are someone may be triggered by mine!

The description of Ralph Lauren's Romance is "fresh rose, violet, marigold, essence of tangerine, chamomile and freesia with notes of ginger and oakmoss" - I'd say that's a scent that will work pretty much anywhere: it sounds like a daytime scent more than a heavy, cloying evening one.
By ChristinePremium member
On Sat Dec 31, 2011 05:57 PM
For me, these questions are as easy as responses at church...

Always and everywhere.

Keep On Dancing*
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 31, 2011 06:40 PM
I wear perfume everyday, everywhere. I alternate between three that I like and always have people sniff test new ones in the store before I buy them. I also do the spray into air and walk into it / spray my shirt/neck thing.
By Tansey
On Sat Dec 31, 2011 07:03 PM
Slight hijack perhaps, but it occurred to me while reading this thread that I tend to find one perfume I like and wear it for a long time; a year at least, maybe two. And I find that years later, if I catch a whiff of an old favorite I haven't worn in ages, I'm instantly and viscerally transported back to the stage in my life when I wore it.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 31, 2011 07:06 PM
I have never ever seen a sign asking people not to wear perfume.

They are almost everywhere in my city/Canada. Doctor's office, dentists, my college, lots of workplaces, etc.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch