Popular Ballet

Audition Pictures by PointeStudent
Soon it's going to be time to take audition pictures for SI. Is there any place to take good quality dance pictures around the Philly/NJ area? For not too expensive.

Forum: General

Teachers - General
Recreational Hip Hop- keeping it interesting en>fr fr>en
By jdance3 Comments: 57, member since Wed May 11, 2011
On Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:56 AM

Hey!

I started a recreational hip hop class in August and had a great turnout. I have about 5 boys and 6 girls. They all have great enthusiasm, its amazing. I have to say almost all of these students came to me loving dance.

At the beginning they were all having a blast with the new class and combinations. I am now afraid that since it has been going so well that they will lose interest. For the first part of the year they learned an easy combination to get them started and to let me know what their skill levels were. Each week I would also teach them a new hip hop style and a little bit about the history of it. We have covered every style and they started to get bored with it. We are now working on their recital dance and they are all starting to get really bored.

I feel as if every week I would have to be introducing a new dance combination or game to keep them interested. They all still love the class for sure, but I want to keep that interest strong like where they started. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the class fresh?

4 Replies to Recreational Hip Hop- keeping it interesting

re: Recreational Hip Hop- keeping it interesting en>fr fr>en
By DancerGirl05 Comments: 227, member since Sat Nov 27, 2010
On Mon Jan 02, 2012 01:11 PM
The thing that I do for my hip hop classes that seems to work well is splitting the class into four sections: warm up/cardio, technique, choreography, and game. I will go through stretches and warm up for about 10 min. (they are both hour long classes for me), then we will work strictly on technique in the substyles of house, jerking, tutting, waving, gliding, breaking (most of my students love breaking!), popping, etc. for 15 min. Then we work on choreography for about 30 min, and we play a game for the last 5 min of class. For fresh ideas, try having the students perform for each other (won't work
in some classes because of shyness but hey, give it a go!); incorporate a freestyle game where everyone grabs a partner, one of the partners is the leader and must freestyle while the other partner has to
mirror the movement. Also small floor combinations help to keep it interesting for them. I have taught my class pas de bourres, seat rolls (although seat rolls are kinda modern-ish, we make them hip hop haha), thread throughs (kinda difficult to explain), and anything else you can think of that travels across the floor. Let me know if any of this helps! :)
On Mon Jan 02, 2012 07:35 PM
wow, thanks a lot. I think this is going to help me. I was basically on the same page, just needed some reassurance. I like the game at the end of each class idea.

How do you go about working on the different sub style techniques? Do you teach different small combos of each style or do just different moves?
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:12 AM
My hip hop classes are 45 minutes. We do a 10-15 minute stretch and conditioning.
Then we work on isolations starting at our feet and working our way up to our head.
I do a lot of transitions in my hip hop choreography so I do 2-3 turns across the floor with basics like step/touch, step/ball change, popcorns (2nd position plies). Then we work on choreo. I have a general rule that we never rehearse our dance more than 3 times in a single class. It prevents boredom and a general lack of enthusiasm for the dance if it's over rehearsed.
I might then do a short new step or combo before playing a game and then a cool down stretch. So many classes forget to incorporate this but it's very important!
For games I do the number game. I have a stack of cards numbered 1-10. Each student chooses their fav dance move and then picks a card. We do their fav move the number of times the card says.
I also do limbo to work on flexibility.
For short lessons work on dancing without moving their feet, teaching them to emphasize head, shoulders and arm movements in hip hop. Also we do a dance moves from real life where we do the shipping cart, the sprinkler etc. Each student gets the opportunity to choose something they've done that day and turn if into a dance move.
Hope that helps!
On Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:49 PM
wow, thanks that helped a lot. I like how you do a cool down and stretch. And I'm going to try to fit in the card game too. Thanks so much:)

ReplySendWatch