Forum: Adults / Married Life

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Married Life
Something only the person that loves you most would do... (karma: 2)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Jan 03, 2012 09:33 PM

So I have an extreme phobia of the dentist. My huband got me to go when we first got together and I hadn't been in 9 years. When I first started going I had to take valium the night before, a valium the morning of, he had to drive me, they had to give me gas and then they could work on me (for something as simple as a CLEANING!!) I finally got to the point where I could go all by myself like a big girl and only get gas, though I need cleanings every 3 month due to the amount of plaque that builds up and apparently that is genetic (thanks Mom!). Unfortunately my dentist died last year and I haven't been to a dentist in a year until today.

I had all sorts of anxiety flaring up, crying, threw up, etc. I got there and put on my brave face. My hubby drove me, held my hand, put my favorite play list on my ipod to listen to, and after the whole exam and cleaning (which was almost 2 hours), we walked outside and he held me as I was sobbing (like ugly hysterical crying.) So much anxiety had just built up and I was not going to cry in the doctor's office. I couldn't even speak, and I refused to make a follow up appointment. (Baby steps right?)

Sometimes I forget how much my husband loves me. Seriously there is nobody else in the world (even my parents), that would try to be so understanding about this totally irrational fear I have. Even though he doesn't identify with it, or even come close to understanding it...he still manages to be the most supportive person in the world.

What does your partner/spouse/significant other do for you that nobody else in your life would ever consider doing??

33 Replies to Something only the person that loves you most would do...

re: Something only the person that loves you most would do... (karma: 4)
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 PM
Annoy me.
re: Something only the person that loves you most would do... (karma: 1)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 PM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2012-01-03 22:59:53
To buy me just the right vehicle, one he felt was nice enough and safe enough, my man road a bus all night long, an eight-hour red-eye that left at midnight. When he arrived in the morning he then hitchhiked and caught rides in the backs of two vegetable trucks, one where he lay amongst potatoes, to get to the dealership. He picked up the car, took it to get inspected, closed the deal and then drove the car home which took six hours. Did all this in one day and gave me the car. <3
re: Something only the person that loves you most would do...
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:03 PM
Image hotlink - 'http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/icwhutudidtherep1.gif'
re: Something only the person that loves you most would do... (karma: 2)
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Wed Jan 04, 2012 02:19 AM
The thing that sticks out most to me was when we'd been together for about four or five months, I was in hospital after having had a tumour removed from my inner ear. My husband (we weren't married at the time) sat with me for hours. He held the bucket for me as I vomitted several times, and at one point even said "You're so beautiful..." while I was drugged up with a bandaged head that was leaking blood and pus.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Wed Jan 04, 2012 09:21 AM
My husband can be good, and bad, it just depends. I have to say, there were times that I really needed him, and he was there, and other times, that I was hurt so badly by his lack of compassion.

We all suspect that he has a syndrome that causes this, but of course, he will not go for help.

When I was going through chemo, many times he was right there, helping, and other times, it annoyed him. That's what I mean.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Jan 04, 2012 09:51 AM
He's never told me no. And I KNOW no one but him would do that! :O

And yes, there were times I had to get stuff on his timeline rather than mine, but whatever I've invented in the time we've been together, I've gotten.

I wanted a bigger house, got it. I wanted a bigger one than that, got it. Wanted a nicer car, got it. Wanted to drive two hours away just so I could go out to eat, did it. Wanted to spend a week in Vegas, did that too.

Dude's never told me no. And that's awesome. He says that's being a princess, but what does he know? :P
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 09:41 PM
My husband quit his secure, full time job, and sold our house to up and move our family to another city where I would have more opportunities, without having a job to go to, in the middle of the GFC. He spent 8 months unemployed but never once blamed me. Anyone else would not have quit their job for me, for starters, let alone got through that without slapping me silly.

Helen
re: Something only the person that loves you most would do... (karma: 1)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:03 PM
Bathe me while he was fully clothed, soaking himself because I could barely stand after my hysterectomy and he knew I would be uncomfortable with the nurse bathing me. He then got me dressed and took me downstairs in a wheelchair and bought me my favorite pair of sweatpants and some chocolate. ;)
By Trout Comments: 897, member since Mon Nov 08, 2010
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 PM
^Not to open a can of worms, but... You are extremely open with talking about your hysterectomy, your sex life, and really personal things on the internet where you have a very public profile, why on earth would you be uncomfortable having a nurse bathe you? Why put your guy through the pain of getting you in a tub (who gets in a tub immediately after a hysterectomy, anyway) instead of just having a bed bath by another female who does this multiple times a day, every day? Weird.

Anyway...

Something only the person that loves me the most would do is, after only a few months of dating, run to the store to buy me tampons when I ran out.

Also, sitting through many, many episodes of crappy television (First 48, Intervention, Hoarders, ANTM) and actually watching it with me because he knows it makes me happy in a guilty-pleasure kind of way.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:42 PM
Am I the only person who thought the OP was referring to sexual acts? Was that just me? Yeah? That was just me? OK then. Nevermind.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:47 PM
^LOL, since her example involved the dentist, probably, yeah...
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:11 PM
haha, I thought you'd say I should have known better since it was posted on the "Married Life" board.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:56 PM
Not to open a can of worms, but... You are extremely open with talking about your hysterectomy, your sex life, and really personal things on the internet where you have a very public profile, why on earth would you be uncomfortable having a nurse bathe you? Why put your guy through the pain of getting you in a tub (who gets in a tub immediately after a hysterectomy, anyway) instead of just having a bed bath by another female who does this multiple times a day, every day? Weird.

Do my reasons really matter? No? Didn't think so. Plus, why bother a nurse when I have someone more than willing to help me? I also wasn't in a tub, it was a walk in shower. I am still laughing at the irony of them putting me on the post partum floor. My husband is also the same man who dried me off because I couldn't bend or twist. That's love.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 09:16 AM
My husband got up at 6:00 AM on Christmas Eve to drive to the pharmacy to get me a refill on my migraine meds because I woke up in a ridiculous amount of pain. I was fully prepared to take some OTC meds and hope for the best, but he insisted that I needed my prescription. And he wasn't even grumpy about it. :)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 09:21 AM
I was in labour with Teresa for 22.5 hours and even though he had been up at 4:40 am the day before (the wed before my water broke) he had an hour of sleep and than I told him that my water broke, he drove me to the hospital. He never left my side the entire time, they had to force him to leave to go eat. He was so good the whole time.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 09:29 AM
Saved my life. I was being neglected by my nurses so he ran and found a doctor that would help me. I was in intensive care half an hour later. I dread to think what would have happened had I been with anyone else - never mind him spending hours on the phone to insurance while we were still in Kenya, spending 18 hours in hospital with me the first day without leaving me even to eat, and then taking two weeks off work to come in whenever they'd let him even though he ran the risk of not getting paid at all. When I was out, he did everything for me including picking me up off the floor of the shower when I couldn't stand up after shaving my gross "I've been in hospital for two weeks and my hair grows really fast" legs. He's just so on top of everything it's scary.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 09:59 AM
I'm loving all these wonderful accounts of everyone's awesome partners. :)
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 952, member since Fri Apr 11, 2008
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 AM
Just under a month ago, lifted me wet, naked and bleeding out of the shower, made a makeshift dressing for me and supported my giggly carcass on a 1km trek from the car to the emergency ward stopping to mop up the blood from my increasingly red bandages.

On the 11th of December I was having a shower and lifted my leg up to inspect a bruise on my foot aquired a few days earlier I smashed my knee into our wall mounted soap dish. That broke and my leg went across the sharp edge which sliced a nice neat 4-5cm gash over my kneecap and breaking a vein.

When Erin came in and I showed her what had happened we had a quick panic, seeing as she'd never seen so much blood come out of anyone (I had a head start, I've seen a lot of blood come out of me through the years).

After she'd collected herself in a manner of seconds she lifted me out of the tub (standard shower over tub bathroom set-up), got me seated on the edge and dried me off. I was holding my knee fairly tightly so bleeding on the floor was minimal.

Next we had to figure out how to get to the hospital seeing as my ambulance cover had just lapsed, we managed to get our housemate to drive us on her learner's permit with me in the front passenger seat as instructor.

Once we'd parked we had a half-mile journey to the emergency ward, so I was slung over Erin's shoulder and completely high on adrenaline and endorphins that this seemed like a delightful day out at this point. The trees were particularly nice that day.

But I detract, Erin fairly dragged my stoned carcass up hill, stopping to add in more banaging when I'd noticed that I had blood running down my leg and the original bandage was soaked through.

She summoned the triage nurse. As soon as I was lying down the adrenaline dissipated and I was just about ready to fall asleep in the come down. Erin kept me awake and in good spirits. She stayed with me in triage and then in the ward proper when my stitches were being put in. She stared in keen fascination while the doctor did his work and kept me form looking (I really wanted to check it out too!).

She then supported my limping an less bloodied carcass back down to the car, assisted me into the car and out when we got home. She tucked my in bed, propping up my leg and then and made me a cup of tea.

Ta, Erin.
Mark
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:11 AM
I took his bloody stitches out, too!

Best thing he ever did for me? Accompany me to EVERY SINGLE DINNER with my crazy aunt. He doesn't have to put up with her nonsense, but he does, because he knows I need him there or I may commit homicide.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 AM
When I had no car because someone had destroyed it and I had to take the bus he would wake up really early to drive me to work and come back in the traffic without complaining even once.

Watch some program about fashion on television with me when his favorite show is on at the same time.

I get sick often from an unknown illness I have and he never complains if we have to leave in the middle of a party. Even if I insist on taking a cab back home, he wants to leave with me.

He tells me I'm beautiful when I wake up in the morning with yesterday's makeup smudged over my face, sweatpants and frizzy hair.
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:30 PM
What a nice thread :)

Mine are all pregnancy related because I am a handful when gestating - so if you don't like nasty pregnancy bodily functions, consider yourself warned ....

Some highlights for me would be the times when my husband has washed my vomit out of my hair (and off the floor, and off himself - I was REALLY sick when I was pregnant). Once I even vomited on him while we were making love - like, all over his bare chest. He didn't freak, he was so sweet. He makes fun of me for it endlessly now though.

While pregnant I had him check my cervix for dilation frequently - I also made him investigate the 'mucus plug' that I lost during early labor. Poor guy.

While in labor I bit my hubby on the hand really hard (bite mark for days....) he did not complain and said I could do it again should I really feel the need for further punishment.

He is pretty darn good to me when Im not pregnant too ...
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 02:18 PM

Some highlights for me would be the times when my husband has washed my vomit out of my hair (and off the floor, and off himself - I was REALLY sick when I was pregnant). Once I even vomited on him while we were making love - like, all over his bare chest. He didn't freak, he was so sweet. He makes fun of me for it endlessly now though.

That's so sweet! I've never vomited on my husband, but he has held my hair back and help me get cleaned up when my medication made me sick after my hysterectomy. I think our advantage is that we have men who are paramedics so nothing really bothers them anymore. LOL
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 02:31 PM
^Being a paramedic doesn't have anything to do with it. Love transcends all bounds. My husband hates throwing up and even hearing it makes him dry heave but he'd be right there with me if I needed him when I'm sick and has done so with his son.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 03:15 PM
He's gone to the hospital with me when I didn't feel safe being around myself, even though he was missing class and rehearsal. He's driven me to go stay nights at hotels when I just couldn't stand being in my apartment. He's gone to get me tampons and pads. The most recent one was, I had horrible food poisoning and he cleaned me up, and cleaned out the cooler I had thrown up in as well, even though I told him to leave it. He's stayed up all night to take care of me when I'm sick, and has inconvenienced himself greatly just to be sure I was okay. And when I've had horrible anxiety attacks over stupid things, he's always taken care of me and never, NEVER made me feel bad for my emotions even if they're unreasonable at times.

My Esther, who is my best friend in the world, has also definitely stepped up in the "people who love me most" department. She put my underwear and pants on me when I tore my back muscles in a school restroom trying to pull on a pair of dance tights, and went to the hospital with me as well, skipping an exam to do so. She's amazing.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch