Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

First Pointe Shoes, some questions
By PewPew
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 03:32 PM

I just got my first pair of pointe shoes and I am about to sew on the ribbons and elastics, just have a couple questions..

I've seen numerous videos on how to sew your shoes, my question is.. how do you know if you should use criss-cross elastics or just the one band across?

Also, can you really use dental floss? Any or a specific kind? Should you use dental floss?

Is it okay to wear your pointe shoes before class and walking around the house or just rising up to demi pointe to help break them in before class? (I would never rise to full pointe, I understand the dangers already,etc..etc. No need to explain)

Also.. should I manually manipulate the box/vmap area with my hands to squish them a little bit?

Thanks!

5 Replies to First Pointe Shoes, some questions

re: First Pointe Shoes, some questions
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 03:45 PM
For your first pair, I would go with one elastic sewn from one side of the heel to the other. This is sufficient for most people and it will be less sewing for you while you are figuring out how to do it. I definetly used dental floss. Any non-coloured kind will work. It's really easy to thread the needle with and is very strong, it's also not slippery in your hands and makes a larger knot when you finish sewing. Two thumbs up on using dental floss! Oh, and you don't need scissors with you because most floss bottles have the metal cutter attached.

If your teacher has asked you not to wear your shoes, don't. I did definetly put them on a few times before my first class and did rises in them while hanging on to something. I'm not recommending that, just saying that it's what I did. Definetly don't manipulate the shoe at all, it would suck to realize you did something you didn't want to have done to the shoe once you start pointe. The first pair is best to just break in naturally while in class. I've noticed that lots of teachers will instruct the student on how to further break in their shoes if they don't look like they are breaking in properly in class.

Congrats on starting pointe! :)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 04:00 PM
I'm just going to second everything that coccinella said, because she said it all.

Start with the basic, one-elastic across the loop. Make sure that the elastic's aren't loose, but aren't so tight that your ankle dies. You can use dental floss, but stick with white and waxy...I liked to use mint flavored because it was nice to smell while sewing.

My vote is absolutely do not wear pointe shoes before your first class. Some teachers ask you not to wear them at home at all during your "beginner period" which could mean anywhere bewteen a few weeks to a few months. Even releves and plies or just walking around. It's always better to begin things with a knowledgeable teacher's eyes on you...you can do some at-home basic stuff once your teacher is satisfied that you'll do it right consistently without him or her there. I wouldn't do anything to the box, vamp, or shank because you don't know where you'll need it broken in yet.
By athena_wiles
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 06:53 PM
Just to add - if your teacher has not already seen your pointe shoes and approved them, I might even hold off on sewing the ribbons and elastics before your first class, since pointe shoes are generally not returnable once they've been sewn.
By PewPew
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 08:25 PM
Edited by PewPew (244670) on 2012-01-05 20:30:59
thanks for the replies.

I did have my shoes checked by the teacher and given the ok, however it was a rush moment just before classes, so she never said if I should break them in or not.

I'll look into dental floss.. its funny to think about using minty (which is all I have right now) but if it works, I'd rather use it then spend more money buying thread from the dance store. (almost $10!)

I hope these shoes will be more comfortable. The original pair I tried on at the shop were incredibly comfortable to stand in. I ended up ordering the same pair (size/make etc) some time later..(from a different store, shipped from the grishko warehouse w/e) and they just dont feel the same. I definitely have more pressure points/uncomfortable pain in these then I did the exact same pair form the store. So I am wondering if it is because the ones at the store were more broken in.. or vamp/box was softened?
By mliaabmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 04:56 AM
First of all, congratulations on getting your first pair of pointe shoes! I agree with everything that's been said above. As to your question about the pain, are you sure you ordered the exact same size and width? The ones that you tried in the store could have been slightly softer because other people could have tried them, but it is also a possibility that when you tried your shoes on at home you wore them longer than at the store, so you just noticed where your foot is slightly pressured.

ReplySendWatch