Popular Owners

Anyone use Jackrabbit for point of sale? by kaygirl
We currently use Jackrabbit but do not use the POS function. However, this is something we are...

Forum: Irish / Irish - Feiseanna

Irish - Feiseanna
Feis Competitor Number Holders? en>fr fr>en
By Irish4life Comments: 225, member since Wed Sep 21, 2011
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 04:52 PM

My first feis is in 14 days, and one question popped into my head. How do you secure the feis number you get at registration to your dress? I was thinking safety pins wouldn't work on a stiffened dress, and i don't want to ruin my school dress. What can I use to hold my number on so it doesn't come off? Thanks!

12 Replies to Feis Competitor Number Holders?

re: Feis Competitor Number Holders? en>fr fr>en
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1901, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 04:53 PM
Ribbon. Pretty much any color. When you tie it in a bow, make sure the bow isn't too long.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4008, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 05:01 PM
take a hole punch along with you. When you get your card, punch two holes in the top corners and run your narrow ribbon thru it. Tie it securely!

Some people buy plastic number holders, but they still have to secure them to the dress with pins or ribbons.

A lot of times solo dresses will have decorated clips (mitten clip with crystals) on them to attach the card to. You can get a mitten clip from the fabric store and sew it to the dress to hold your number.
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 05:22 PM
Edited by Tunie (138112) on 2012-01-06 17:23:30
I will NEVER use pins again. I snagged a thread on one of my dresses doing that. Luckily the damage wasn't TOO bad, but I still don't want a repeat.

If you use a plastic number holder, you still need to punch holes in the number card and thread the ribbon through it. I can't tell you how many dancers I've seen lose their card because it flew out of the plastic holder while they were dancing. Also keep in mind, the rules on the NAFC website say "Competitor’s number must be worn and visible to adjudicators when performing in all competitions, use of reflective plastic number covers is discouraged." So it's not against the rules but they don't like it either. If you really want to use a plastic holder, make sure you get one that is non-glare. These are plastic number holders, in case you don't know what they are: www.georgielocksirishdanceshop.com . . .

I also don't like the number clips - I've seen dancers' number flip and twist that way. Not good - they can't judge you if they don't know your number.
By im_a_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 290, member since Tue Feb 10, 2009
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 05:27 PM
Ive never had a problem with the number clips. If your dress does not have one use the ribbon. Make sure its in a tight knot. Also judges will merely get you to turn your number around or pick it up at the end of your dance if it turns or moves. They normally dont count off for it. I have yet to see a judge not score someone because of this.
By Tansey Comments: 2202, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 05:30 PM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2012-01-06 18:19:34
^^I agree that the number card holders are not a good idea. That NAFC language appears on many feis syllabi in this region. When dd wore a school dress we used a piece of thin ribbon and a hole punch. Once she started wearing solo dresses she used only number clips, which either came attached to the dresses or were sewn on by me. Jeanne from Head for the World sells nice ones, very reasonably priced. Dd's number card doesn't flip over but I've seen it a lot with other dancers. I don't know if it's the type of clip or the way it was sewed on.
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 05:30 PM
Edited by Tunie (138112) on 2012-01-06 17:37:36
Edited by Tunie (138112) on 2012-01-06 17:42:30 Added something.
^^ Still not a risk I want to take, personally.

Edit: I should add that I used a plastic number holder when I used to compete. I pretty much had to; I mangled my card too badly otherwise haha. I may start competing again soon and have not decided whether to use a plastic holder or not. I want to try not to use one.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1442, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 05:32 PM
Edited by novicedancer1991 (215700) on 2012-01-06 17:32:54 I'm so good at spelling. Not.
The plastic number covers usually come with ribbons. There'll probably be a vendor at the feis selling them, but bring a paper puncher and ribbon just in case. I like the number covers, except that sometimes I need to fold over the edge on the number to make it fit.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3113, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Fri Jan 06, 2012 07:33 PM
I've always used a non-reflective number holder, and I've never had trouble with it. When I used a ribbon, I would fold the card over at the bottom so I didn't need holes.
With my clip, I have it sewn across the bar on the inside of the dress, and it doesn't flip or turn. The clip holds the card very securely in the holder.
re: Feis Competitor Number Holders? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By MeBeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 521, member since Wed Mar 02, 2011
On Sat Jan 07, 2012 08:52 AM
I personally like to gorilla glue my number to my face, cutting out holes for my eyes, so I can see while I dance. Although you may get extra points for "choreography difficulty" without the holes. Gotta check the rulebook on that one, though.

Added benefit of replacing makeup, as well.

(I like to punch four holes, two on each side of the number, and thread each side and tie in the back. That way, it holds the number in place without ever flipping up.)
By iRockUrPoodleSoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 294, member since Sat May 28, 2011
On Sat Jan 07, 2012 09:04 AM
There is a bunch of different ways!

One, like you said, is the safety pins, but they don't always work.

I think the best one is a ribbon and number holder. Usually every feis has a vendor selling them. They are plastic number holders that you can slip your number card right into. Usually they were only a dollar, and they come with a ribbon. They have a ton of different color ribbons, so you can choose one that matches your dress.

Another, is, bring a hole punch, and punch holes on either side of the number, get some ribbon, and put it through the holes.

THey all work! :)
By MollyByGolly Comments: 29, member since Wed Aug 31, 2011
On Sun Jan 08, 2012 01:01 PM
After one feis where DD's card ripped above the punched hole, we began bringing a sheet of circular reinforcement stickers - you can buy these at any office store. Reinforce the punched holes and they will make it all day through the hottest, sweatiest feis!
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 738, member since Sun Feb 07, 2010
On Sun Jan 08, 2012 07:52 PM
Just want to add-one time my card flipped over and I didn't realize it, after all the dancers were back in line the judge told me to flip it over. I got 1st. So it must not be that bad. But I suppose as with anything it depends on the judge.

ReplySendWatch