Popular Ballet

Tire Bouchon illustrations by Storm_Trouper

Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
How do you guys have the self control to not totally pig out? en>fr fr>en
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8016, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 01:27 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2012-01-10 13:30:55

I have always had the problem of pigging out and not eating in moderation.

If I open a bag of chips to tell myself I was going to have 5....I would end up eating half the bag. I tried to already portion control stuff, and I would end up eating 4 baggies of the portion control defeating the purpose.

I can't even keep any good tasting stuff in the house, because I would just eating everything in sight. I can only keep meats, vegetables, fruits, yogurt at my house. I can keep uncooked things like pasta ( I don't eat paste, that is for guests) but I won't eat that because it takes forever to cook.

What is your secret for being able to keep chips, chocolate, cookies etc and keeping them going for a whole week?

I would like to bring some good tasting stuff into my house again, while making them last a while.

I've tried hiding the foods out of sight etc. During the day I am pretty good at control, but I get up in the middle of the night to go get food, and the next thing I know...everything is eaten. I am not exactly sleep walking because I remember the eating, but I am like " **** it, I don't care about being fat!".

21 Replies to How do you guys have the self control to not totally pig out?

re: How do you guys have the self control to not totally pig out? (karma: 3)  en>fr fr>en
By Sumayah Comments: 6113, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 01:40 PM
YumYumDoughnut wrote:

( I don't eat paste, that is for guests)

I prefer Elmer's when having guests over. I mean it is the Grey Poupon of paste.
re: How do you guys have the self control to not totally pig out? en>fr fr>en
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6043, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 02:01 PM
Honestly, for me it got way easier to watch my portion sizes when I stopped trying to keep things from myself. Everyone wants something more when it's forbidden, you know? But as soon as I said "Yeah, I guess in the grand scheme of my life a bag of chips isn't a big deal" instead of "Okay, I'm allowed to have five chips. But only five! No more than five, Stomach, do you hear me??", I was able to pay attention to how I actually felt.

Of course, it helps to balance the junk food with fruits and veggies and fresh food, but once I took the mystery, strict limits, and forbidden-ness out of eating less-than-lovely stuff, it was way easier for me to just follow what my body was telling me. If I don't want the junk food, I don't eat it. If I feel like some Pringles, it's no big deal.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1606, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 02:09 PM
I can totally relate. I can't control myself so I generally just don't buy this stuff.

An idea would be to buy small portions. I know they sell small bags of chips or individually wrapped cakes, etc. They control the portion size for you so even if you eat the whole bag you eat a normal size portion.
re: How do you guys have the self control to not totally pig out? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5882, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 02:15 PM
I've recently been trying to eat something healthy before I eat something unhealthy. That way, I'm less hungry and feel more satisfied. So, if I want to eat those chips...I grab a handful of carrots, drink a big glass of water, and then I know I'm not going to have room in my stomach for that whole back of Miss Vickie's without feeling totally ill.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 02:37 PM
I had a bet with a co-worker. Neither of us were allowed to eat dessert or fresh buns at work. First person to cave lost. We informed everyone in the bakery and kitchen and instructed them to rat us out should either cave. We were allowed one cheat item on Monday since Mondays usually suck. This worked well because we were both super competitive. I did not even cave at home because I knew I would feel guilty until I told the truth and lost.

We lasted 3 weeks before someone made red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing. I had to cave. I could not help myself.

Ever since then I have have no problems with sweets. I can make a batch of cookies last a long time.
By Jonellemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3875, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:54 PM
I'm with Cien. I no longer have any foods that I think of as "forbidden" or "bad." If I'm really craving something, I eat it. It's only when I start denying myself from having things that I start running into problems with self control. And actually, now that I let myself have the occasional chips, cookie, candy, whatever, I can see that most of that stuff doesn't actually taste nearly as awesome as it seemed like it did when I wasn't letting myself eat it. A lot of it is actually pretty gross, now that I'm over the thrill of letting myself have something taboo.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:10 PM
The only way I can keep from eating it is to not bring them home. I suck at will power with carb and sugar snacks. I try to keep on good snacks, so even if I am eating more than I should, at least it's healthy.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33914, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:23 PM
I get a small amount. Even though they're not the most cost effective, I buy the smallest amount of whatever I'm wanting that I can find. So if I want chips, I buy the bag that's $1. How much damage can I possibly do with $1 worth of potato chips? The gas station right by the studio still has a "penny candy" section, where they'll sell fun sized snickers and whatever for like a quarter, and I usually can't pass by without something. But still, what is it, maybe 100 calories, and only 25 cents? Pfft, that's not so bad.

When discussing portion sizes and all that, Dr. Phil used to say that you eat the first bite of something because it looked good, the second bite because it tasted good, and after that, you were pretty much just eating because it was sitting there. So really, you don't need more than a bucks worth of chips anyway, it's enough to cure the craving and not wreck your day.

And this doesn't help you much since you live alone, but I'll often ask Jim to put stuff up high. More often than not, I just flat don't want to do enough work to get whatever it is, so I don't even bother.

Plus, I think about how counterintuitive that stuff is to my end goal. I want to have such a bangin' body, that people think I'm a trainer. That snickers bar is fun, but that snickers bar ain't gonna get me a trainer body. So I go for fun size, not king size. :D
By slice Comments: 1160, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:31 PM
I feel like playing mind games with food doesn't work and isn't healthy. The instant it becomes "forbidden" or "bad" is the instant you'll want it. And the next time you get your hands on it (even if you don't keep it in the house), you go nuts because OMGCOOKIESNOMNOMNOM.

Control takes practice. You don't practice by hiding things and making them unavailable; you practice by having it around and even in your face sometimes. You practice by allowing yourself a treat and then putting the treat away instead of binging on the entire package.

I also try to make the other food I eat as tasty as possible. Plain oats are really, really, bland and tasteless. Oats with peanut butter, cinnamon sugar, and honey, however, are quite yummy!
re: How do you guys have the self control to not totally pig out? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2904, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:54 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said, but I'm also wondering if you could stop yourself from compartmentalizing your food into "healthy" and "good-tasting" and having those two categories be mutually exclusive and totally opposite.

Healthy food CAN taste good...and combined with feeling better (physically and mentally) when you eat it, it's a definite win over junk, and you'll learn to go for it habitually.

I have some examples. My new favorite "dessert"--that I sometimes eat for breakfast and snacks as well--is a bowl full of fruit drizzled with some natural peanut butter, melted coconut oil, raw honey and sprinkled with shredded coconut and bee pollen. The fruits I like best for it are a blueberry and banana mix. So good. Can't even believe it's healthy. But maybe that's not your style...maybe you want something savory. So I have some corn chips that are made from corn, tomato, spinach, and some other vegetables. They're colorful and delicious, and I eat them with some amazing salsa. Or maybe you want something extra quick and easy. No problem, I'll just slice up this apple, sprinkle it with some cinnamon, honey if I feel like it, and eat it that way or even better, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds so it gets all sweet and juicy and steamy.

Is it possible you could get a hold of some "good tasting stuff" that you live but doesn't feed the sugar-and-salt-craving cycle that's so typical of the average diet these days? Shoot, even some quick no-bake cookies made from oats and peanut butter or something?
By Sumayah Comments: 6113, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 09:23 PM
<3 <3 <3 YYD. Sorry doll, I couldn't help myself. I knew it was supposed to be pasta but I lol'd and since I'm a troll at heart... ;)

I buy small portions of stuff. For instance, if I want queso, I'll get a small order from a restaurant. If I want chocolate I'll buy high quality chocolate. Basically unless I have a craving for something, I don't buy it. Also, I've found that if I pre-plan my meals it makes it easier to eat better. So I'll fix steak for me and B and then I'll portion out the leftovers. Also these make it easier to better when I'm unable to go home and eat. Toss half a bag of broccoli and my leftover steak in my lunchbox, an apple and I'm way less likely to want bad things.
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:36 PM
I agree with FeisforFood. I stopped eating junk food (chips, fast food, candy bars) years ago. After a while I stopped craving them altogether. Now when I want chips I cut up a sweet potato and bake it. If I want candy, I'll eat some chocolate chips with almonds or bake a banana with brown sugar and chocolate chips inside (sooo good). I don't have junk food in my home because I know I'll eat it, expect it to taste awesome, and be disappointed as it never lives up to my expectations. Junk food isn't 'forbidden' I just trained myself not to eat it by finding better, healthier substitutes.
I think healthy food tastes way better than junk, so for me, good tasting food IS health food. It hasn't always been that way but if you're willing to take the time to toss something in the oven for 10 min, or get a little creative, you can change your habits and your cravings.
By Jonellemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3875, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:38 PM
After reading your post again, I noticed something else. You are getting up in the middle of the night to snack? Like, you're actually waking up and getting out of bed to do this? Is it possible, assuming that that's the case, that you need to be eating something more satisfying for dinner? Or eating a slightly later dinner, or something? Because that doesn't seem normal to me.
By irishfeislovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1060, member since Tue Nov 16, 2010
On Mon Feb 13, 2012 03:50 PM
I honestly just dont have the self control, so I never buy the stuff. the only problem is if my parents buy junk food. we have a storeroom, and keeping junk in there and out of sight it helpful for me. If you feel like munching randomly, try to have vegtables and fruits because they will be filling and not unhealthy.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8406, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Mon Feb 13, 2012 04:27 PM
Most of the time, I just don't buy junk food. When I do, I get out a decent serving size and put the bag/box away, then resume whatever I was doing when hunger struck (on the computer, laundry, etc). I usually end up being too lazy to go back and get more so I end up being satisfied. Also drinking water with a snack or instead of a snack fills you up faster, or so I've heard. I guess it DOES work, because whenever I do that I just en up drinking the water and forgetting the food.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3525, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Mon Feb 13, 2012 04:39 PM
There are foods that taste good, and then there are those which are downright addictive. You can't eat just one salted peanut! Anything crammed full of salt or sugar or fat makes you crave more. And when a food has two or more of those elements it's really impossible. Consider a ham with brown-sugar coating!

I'm lucky because my husband also tries to eat healthy. So although we have stuff in the house that tastes "good" -- like a bunch of grapes or fresh French bread -- we avoid bringing home the "addictive" stuff.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7007, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Mon Feb 13, 2012 05:12 PM
^ Agreed. Some foods seem to get you hooked and make you go back for more. I find that to be the cause with particularly salty or sugary foods.

My best strategy is to avoid them all together. Don't even open the Pandora's box, because I know once I've tasted it, I will want more than I should have.

If you feel deprived, there are alternatives that taste just as good that don't have all the addictive stuff in them. I have a recipe for no bake cookies that use sugar free chocolate and all natural ingredients. You can buy healthier sugar free alternatives of almost every confectionery at health food stores. That way at least if you have them in the house and you over indulge, it wont be as bad for you.
By MonkeyStepsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 280, member since Wed Dec 15, 2010
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 07:42 PM
I agree with everyone who said about not thinking of the unhealthy stuff as "bad" or not buying any at all. I've discovered that if I want chocolate and I don't have any, I will make a 40-minute round trip ON FOOT, IN THE DARK, AT 4AM to get it - for the sake of my safety and sanity, it's better to always have a small amount in the cupboard :P
By pasdechat101 Comments: 188, member since Sun Jan 30, 2011
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 07:48 PM
I just don't eat a long list of foods, including: cookies, icecream/assorted stuff, and peanut butter/nutella. I am terrified that once they pass my lips, I'll never stop!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7298, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 07:55 PM
I eat slowly, and be sure to put the box back in its inconvenient place. Such as...

AlwaysOnStage realizes that she is craving a girl scout cookie.

I get up, walk to the box of girl scout cookies that are hidden at the back of one of the lower cubbards. I bend down get the box out, take out two cookies, put the box back, shut the door, and walk back to the couch. On the couch, I take FOREVER to eat those cookies. Like Charlie and the Chocolate factory...he smells it until he can't help but take a bite, but he takes the tiniest bite imaginable to tide him over until he can't take it any more and takes another bite. I don't do it quite so drastically, but I nibble and take a bite and savor it and let the taste go away before coming back to it.

I can take 20 minutes to eat a low-fat-choco-pudding-cup and savor every bit of it. After that, I've been eating chocolate for 20 minutes and I don't feel the need for more.
By ballerinatwirler Comments: 2061, member since Sat May 29, 2004
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 09:23 PM
I have zero self control so if it's here it's usually gone pretty quickly. As crazy as it sounds I feel better eating a treat like chips all at once because then I won't be tempted tomorrow. Then I binge on the chips and feel like crap anyways so it's a lose lose situation.

ReplySendWatch