Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

50% effaced at 34 weeks. How long can I walk around llike that?
By angieballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 12, 2012 07:00 AM

Like the title says. I have been looking and I see it can be weeks. I was checked yesterday and my cervix was closed, which is good but 50% effaced. With my last baby I got checked around 35 weeks and I was at a station -1 and I was 80% effaced, but not dilated. My water broke a few days later and I ended up with a baby in NICU for 16 days. During this pregnancy I have been taking P17 shots to hopefully prevent another PROM (premature rupture of membranes). I just am feeling SO tired these days and work is kicking my but before noon. I feel really "heavy" down there with lots of pressure and I was having lots of Braxton Hicks, yesterday especially. The Dr. that I saw yesterday was not my regular Dr. because mine was delivering someone else's baby. This Dr. did not seem concerned, but of course made a note of how I have been feeling. I just feel like I'm not going to make it to my 39 week schedule section, even before yesterday's check up. I guess I better be prepared for anything.

7 Replies to 50% effaced at 34 weeks. How long can I walk around llike that?

re: 50% effaced at 34 weeks. How long can I walk around llike that?
By J1ll
On Thu Jan 12, 2012 07:27 AM
I was 50% effaced and 1cm dilated at 28 weeks and I made it to 36. But I wa placed on complete bed rest. I think you have to listen to your body. If its telling you at noon it's had enough for the day, you need to be cutting your hours back at work. If you need a Dr note to do that call your Dr office and ask that your regular Dr or a nurse calls you back. Be up front with them. Tell them if you work past noon the Braxton hicks start up and you're concerned with another premature delivery. Don't try to be brave and tough it out. Be honest and allow yourself this time to prepare for a safe arrival of your baby.
All 3 of my children were premature so I know the anxiety you must be feeling. Good luck!
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 PM
It is obviously different for everyone, but my sister was 4 cm dilated for a month before she was induced at 41.5 weeks. I, on the other hand, took 24 hours of labour before I reached 1 cm :( We both had our babies a week and a half late (she was induced, I eventually went in to labour on my own).
On Fri Jan 13, 2012 06:35 AM
Edited by angieballerina (177970) on 2012-01-13 06:36:19 typo
Thanks for the information. I guess I just want to hear some different experiences. I have definitely been feeling like crap and have been assuming that it is due to the end of my pregnancy. However, I came home yesterday feeling very flu-like and my little boy (18 mos) has a bad cough now and was up all night and is going into the Dr. this AM with his dad. I did come to work but am taking the afternoon off to go see a Dr. myself. I took my own temp. before work and it was a low grade fever. So, maybe we are all just getting some bug at our house? I am still feeling quite cautious about the effacement and how heavy things have been feeling. Yesterday I did have some Braxton Hicks, but not as many as the day before. I have a 3 day weekend coming up here and I am going to stay lying down for most of it. Hopefully I will feel better next week. I just want this baby to stay in as long as possible. People around me are like," oh, it's safe now if the baby was born". I do know that most likely he would survive, it's just that this is still too early and we'd most likely be looking at NICU time again. I know I'm having a boy and for some reason, little white boys do the worst when born early. That's what all the NICU nurses told me. I saw that as true as I watched all these babies come and go after my son, and we were still there. I don't want to go through that again if we can help it.
By Queen_Jojo
On Fri Jan 13, 2012 03:45 PM
Can you not go back and see your own doctor? You're obviously worried and I think speaking to a dr that knows you and your history will put your mind at rest and also reassure your concerns.
Can I ask why you are having a section please? I've noticed a huge increase in recent years and am interested as to why more sections are performed than before,

Queenie xx
On Mon Jan 16, 2012 02:41 PM
I will see my Dr. this Wed. Well, it turns out that all the fatigue was leading up to a stomach bug for me, which now my 18 mos. old has. It has been an exhausting weekend and I have been so achy and dehydrated. I am able to keep liquids down and now all the pains in the abdomen that I was feeling has improved. I am very tired and weak, but feeling better than I was. Hopefully I can keep going and keep this baby in for one more month.

I am having a c-section upon recommendation of my Dr. because I had an emergency c-section less than 2 years ago. I was not progressing well in labor and my blood pressure kept dropping and my babies heart rate kept dropping. My hospital does not perform VBACS. I supposed if I really wanted to try for a vaginal birth, I could have searched a different hospital, but I could put myself through that and ending up needs a c-section anyway. I didn't want to pursue it. I do not want to experience a scary birth again if I can help it. I am also considered a high-risk pregnancy because of my "advanced maternal age". I will be 40 this summer.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Mon Jan 16, 2012 02:52 PM
I went a month early, with my son. My water broke. He was small, but not too small, but had jaundice that was not taken care of, properly, by the hospital and he lost a lot of weight from not eating right due to that, so ended up being shipped to another, better hospital. He was in ICU at the neo natal unit for a week.

I don't remember, since that was 1980, how far I was effaced, but my next one was one month late! LOL

I honestly feel that kids will come when it is meant to be. Take care, be safe and bless you.
On Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:47 AM
Well, I am still pregnant. Last week I was 80% effaced. My Dr. said she could not tell if I was dilated because I am "posterior" and she did not want to mess around too much so not to trigger labor. We'll see what happens at tomorrow's appt. Last Wed. was my last P17 shot (I've been getting them weekly since 16 weeks) to prevent another preterm birth. So far, I am further along than I was last time, so that is great. :D

ReplySendWatch